How did I crack my carbon frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Its an odd place for it to crack. Being a reputable LBS is all fine and well but we all make mistakes and maybe they clamped the frame rather than seat post? That sounds like the most plausible explanation as to how the frame has been damaged.
I agree.

The stress on a frame is nearly all at the tube junctions, there is very little through the middle of the top tube.

Leodis

Veteran
QED, can you post some pictures of the damage please?

Leodis

Veteran
No idea, just odd to ask the question, come back online on CC and not reply to questions. There was a thread like this before I am sure, different bike and rider but wanted frame replacement and when the pictures appeared it was obviously crash damage on a MTB, not saying the OP crashed.

Where on the top tube is cracked? Has the LBS checked the frame? Could it be paint cracks? Have you popped into the LBS and had a sneaky look as to where they clamp bikes?

OP
OP
Q

QED

No idea, just odd to ask the question, come back online on CC and not reply to questions. There was a thread like this before I am sure, different bike and rider but wanted frame replacement and when the pictures appeared it was obviously crash damage on a MTB, not saying the OP crashed.

Where on the top tube is cracked? Has the LBS checked the frame? Could it be paint cracks? Have you popped into the LBS and had a sneaky look as to where they clamp bikes?

Hi Leodis, I have come back, updated and posted pics as requested (please see above). And no, I have never crashed (this bike). Going to dinner now but will be happy to answer any questions I missed tonight/tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
Q

QED

Have you quizzed the LBS's that worked on it? Checked the Saturday staff didn't sneak in and do some work on it?

That's an awkward conversation: "hi guys, I just want to check that you guys aren't totally incompetent handling carbon frames when you have been in business for 28 years and sell bikes worth 3 to 5 times mine"

OP
OP
Q

QED

To all of you waiting for replies, I am a newbie to the site so all my responses are held up by moderation. I will definitely answer everyone's questions. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Citius

I thought originally it sounded like it might have been clamping damage. I still reckon it was. The other possibility (now it's been mentioned) sounds like it might have been on Eurostar.

Either way, PX are not liable for either of those occurrences. Manufacturing fault is unlikely as this is a widely-used, reliable, mass produced open mould carbon frame. Any other weakness/damage like this would have been picked up on the internet.

This thread has definitely put me off PX regardless (not that I planned on buying a new bike). Given the circumstances they should have replaced the frame. It seems that the cause of the damage is unknown so cannot be proven either way. I would be extremely pissed off if this happened to my Scott CR1.

Citius

This thread has definitely put me off PX regardless (not that I planned on buying a new bike). Given the circumstances they should have replaced the frame. It seems that the cause of the damage is unknown so cannot be proven either way. I would be extremely pissed off if this happened to my Scott CR1.

What a ridiculous thing to say. Given 'what' circumstances? If you want to avoid it happening to your CR1, then simply refrain from clamping it too tightly when it's on the stand.

Top Bottom