How did I give up mountain biking for the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I would suggest keeping it.
Would make a great winter commuter bike for when the snow comes along :cold:

Something like that along the Lee Valley Way would be quite nice to ride in the slighty muddier/rougher places.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Globalti commutes to Africa! :thumbsup:

VamP

Banned
I like the look of that bike - i'm toyng with the idea of a Ti frame for my 29er as i only use it for towpaths and commuting duties - i've also removed the suspension forks on mine and with the carbon fibre seat stays and cyclocross tyres my 29er weighs in at a tad over 9kgs

with the suspension forks and big lumpy tyres added it was a beast at 12kg

You sure? ;)

I reckon there's about 1500g to be saved on those two things, tops.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You sure? ;)

I reckon there's about 1500g to be saved on those two things, tops.
well the tyres that came with the 29er were a kilo each - swapped them for sammy slicks at 350g's each - saving 1300g's
Rock shox were a little under 2kgs - swapped them out for carbon forks at 500g's - saving of 1500g's

total saving 2.8kgs - take that away from the stated weight of 12.6kg and you get 9.8kg, also swapped the 720mm bars out for 520's and took off the heavy pedals for some lighter spd's

Buckled

I still have a rigid MTB, but I no longer ride it offroad. It is stricly the old shopper-merlopper. I remember thinking that it and I were unstoppable on the dust, mud and rocks.... Now I give thanks regularly for the advent of front suspension. I salute the OP for having the balls to rattle his wrists to destruction and agony.

But rear suspension? Rear suspension should have the open end of a rat cage strapped to its face until it betrays all its friends.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
The reason why it's built up as a fast, light XC bike is that I used to shoulder it up real mountains then ride it along and down them; the High Street circuit in The Lakes was one of my favourite outings. But trips like that need an entire day out so they became increasingly rare as family duties caught up.

P1060324.jpg
If you have the space i say keep hold of it as one day you will fancy a spin in the woods and it won't be there! I did exactly the same as you, moved from mountain bike to road which i truly love but I wish I had not sold the old mountain bike. I did get a cross bike a couple of years back which I mainly use through the winter and I'm now seriously looking to purchase a Haibike e-hardtail after Christmas, you can never have too many bikes so why not have one for all seasons.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Now I give thanks regularly for the advent of front suspension. I salute the OP for having the balls to rattle his wrists to destruction and agony.

But rear suspension? Rear suspension should have the open end of a rat cage strapped to its face until it betrays all its friends.

I rode without suspension for the first 15 years and only fitted some second-hand SIDs with reluctance when a new suspension-geometry frame forced me to. After the SIDs I had some Rebas, which leaked constantly so when they went back to the importer for repair I fitted those eXotic carbon forks, which are so comfortable that I never re-fitted the Rebas and I sold them on Ebay. I don't miss them except on big hits and the bike is so much better without all that weight.

Top Bottom