How did the chrismas dinner go?

The thermostat failed in the oven which meant that it was either stone cold or hot enough to blow glass. Turned out surprisingly well considering! What did you have in the end Spondex? And did you put some in the freezer for me?
 

Bigtallfatbloke

New Member
bLOODY EXCELLENT!!

apparently while I slept in (santas priveledge you understand!) there was a mad panic as the turkey from waitrose was off...so quick dash down to M&S at the Bp station saved the day!
Dinner was perfectomundo...started at 2pm finised about an hour ago after the pressies...I ate a whole xmas pud myself...havent done that in years!...so it looks like extra miles for me next week!

Avoided the beer, but had a few red wines...great day all round.

I got mini tv for my tour next year and a heart rate moniter...excellent!

Just spoke to my M&D in the atlantic via ship phone as well...very cool.

Log fire burning, tree, feeling bloated..wife asleep on sofa, son driving around the house in his new 'office chair'!...Me is a happy bunny.

Happy Christmas all.
 

wafflycat

New Member
*Excellent*

Had some very lean turkey, a bit of stuffing, *loads* of veggies and some gravy. Had a sip of champagne and half a glass of red wine. Thoroughly enjoyed it without going OTT.

Santa was good to me and brought me lots of pampering nice-smelling stuff.

The men thoroughly pigged out and had all the norties in abundance.

I am a happy bunny.
 

redshift

Über Member
Not three bad, though I say so myself. Highlights included garlic mushrooms and a mustard sauce made with duck egg yolks. Sometimes I surprise myself. :biggrin:
 
redshift said:
Not three bad, though I say so myself. Highlights included garlic mushrooms and a mustard sauce made with duck egg yolks. Sometimes I surprise myself. :biggrin:
The sauce sounds.....interesting. :biggrin:

Just had ours. An huge roast hen with a lemon up it's bum. Pan fried 'snips and carrots with bacon. Sprouts with chestnuts. Roasties. Gravy to sell your granny for. Leftovers will be sliced/reheated/bubble'n'squeaked tomorrow. :tongue:

Baggy's poorly so the pud and cream/custard/lemon cream might have to wait.
 

redshift

Über Member
...interesting? I'll have you know it's as yummy as a yummy thing. It's a quick'n'dirty relative of Bearnaise sauce, but with more mustard. It's a thick side sauce for dipping, not a pouring sauce. Two egg yolks, a dash of white wine or sherry, freshly ground black pepper, a lump of butter (melted) and a tablespoon of Dijon mustard. Heated over a bain marie until the yolks start to go thick, but not scrambled. Of course, if you don't like mustard, then it's a bit of a failure. :biggrin:
 
redshift said:
...interesting? I'll have you know it's as yummy as a yummy thing. It's a quick'n'dirty relative of Bearnaise sauce, but with more mustard. It's a thick side sauce for dipping, not a pouring sauce. Two egg yolks, a dash of white wine or sherry, freshly ground black pepper, a lump of butter (melted) and a tablespoon of Dijon mustard. Heated over a bain marie until the yolks start to go thick, but not scrambled. Of course, if you don't like mustard, then it's a bit of a failure. :biggrin:
It's probably the duckiness of it that bothers me. Illogical, but there you go. Of course, Baggy hates mustard, so I'm unlikely to try it (and the one time I made hollandaise it went horribly wrong). What did you have it with?
 
mickle said:
The thermostat failed in the oven which meant that it was either stone cold or hot enough to blow glass. Turned out surprisingly well considering! What did you have in the end Spondex? And did you put some in the freezer for me?


Spondex had turkey breast (I know I know) I was hoping to go all out with dinner but Mrs Spandex sorry Spondex told me i had to :biggrin:.

I did'nt save you any food but ill cook for you as Im hoping you will cook that mexican:biggrin:.
 

gbb

Legendary Member
Location
Peterborough
Dinner was everything it should be, with 9 of us round the table :biggrin:

Came to the conclusion, more so this year than ever before, that we'll have a fresh turkey next year.
Ours was frozen...no problem in itself, but as it cooked, an enormous amount of 'water' had to be strained off periodically to stop the poor thing drowning in its own juices :tongue:. So thats what i'm paying for..a great big water bloated turkey :biggrin:
 

redshift

Über Member
Chuffy said:
It's probably the duckiness of it that bothers me. Illogical, but there you go. Of course, Baggy hates mustard, so I'm unlikely to try it (and the one time I made hollandaise it went horribly wrong). What did you have it with?
Duck eggs are richer, that's all. Great for custards and other such things.
Picked up a turkey crown at the farmer's market last week, so had it with that. Also roast spuds and chestnuts, sprouts with crispy bacon bits, steamed carrots, garlic & thyme stuffing, the aforementioned garlic mushrooms, and onion gravy. Alcohol.
 

Twenty Inch

New Member
Location
Behind a desk
Everything was ready. The gravy had thickened to perfection, the spuds were at their crispy peak, the carefully hand-selected brussels sprouts had been steamed to their crunchy apogee of flavour, the mashed parsnips and carrots were in the serving bowl, and the dish was warmed ready for the duck, which I was about to carve....


....then that vicious, egotistical little sod went and spoiled it all. Our three-month-old infant demanded to be fed, the little brat. I tried to tell SWMBO that we were ready to eat and that by giving in to him so readily, she was only spoiling him, but she wouldn't listen, and insisted on hoiking her top up and plugging him in.

Of course any subsequent enjoyment was out of the question for me, and so Christmas dinner was turned into a trial to be endured, rather than a celebration of the cook's art.
 

gbb

Legendary Member
Location
Peterborough
spandex said:
your learning fast gbb.[/QUOTE]


Hmmm, its took me nearly half a century to realise it ..:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
i really must get more involved in xmas dinner..other than just eating it, but SWMBO just wont let me...honest :tongue::biggrin:
 
Top Bottom