How did the chrismas dinner go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
we went for a honey roast ham on xmas eve followed by a roast beef, yorkshire pud and roast potatoes main xmas day lunch with some leftover ham for good measure.

not seeing why anybody still has turkey these days, it's rubbish.

ChrisKH

Guru
Twenty Inch said:
I haven't had turkey for years, I find it bland and over-rated. Duck or goose for us, thanks!

I have to agree; in fact the subsequent turkey and pickle sandwiches went down far better than the turkey on the day. I am lobbying for goose next year or a nice joint of Pork and crackling.

Sabreur

Was just the two of us and it seemed to go quite well. Wifey cleared herplate and started on mine.:smile:

Unfortunately I had a head full of cold and a throat full of razorblades and didn't enjoy it at all.

On the other hand I currently sound like an original Mysteron;)

Brock

I got a mini screwdriver set and a pair of nail clippers in my crackers. Non of yer cheap tat in our gaff, oh no.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Brock said:
Ours went very well. a Gressingham goose which came in a sort of giant shoe box, with a free thermometer and cooked beautifully after advice from ever knowledgeable CycleChatters, lovely tasty meat and crispy skin. Wonderful roast spuds and parsnips cooked in the fat, and giblets made stock for the gravy.
Here's a pic of him about to get a basting.
xmasgoosey.jpg

Hey Brock, the goose looks peachy! Glad you enjoyed!

At the MIL we had Turkey (BOOOOOO),which was as bland as ever...though the Chesnut stuffing, parsnips & Parmesan, tatties and bread sauce was good.
My mother also managed to get West Country Clotted cream dispatched to us for the pud as well.
But...I did miss the goose, in fact, the roast goose dinner I had in Dusseldorf 2 weeks ago was the real yuletide treat. Next year though, I'm hosting Christmas and it's goose all the way!

Oh, and the MIL got some NationalTrust crackers with whistles in them...each one a different note, then there was the music and a conductors baton....one numbered whistle note per child and the conductor called out the number whistle to be played...in the style of bell-ringers...what a hoot...or should that be toot!

Brock

Fab Foodie said:
Oh, and the MIL got some NationalTrust crackers with whistles in them...each one a different note, then there was the music and a conductors baton....one numbered whistle note per child and the conductor called out the number whistle to be played...in the style of bell-ringers...what a hoot...or should that be toot!

What an excellent idea for crackers.. Although, I can see roomfulls of sniffling children, starting the song for the thirty second time being shouted at by overbearing fathers drunk on port, determined to GET THE TUNE RIGHT....JUST ONCE!!

Top Bottom