How did the chrismas dinner go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
gbb just tell her, stamp your feet, give her your credit card, get her drunk the night before so she cant cook (not that ive done any of these):biggrin: but get her out of the kitchen. And when you finished cooking you can tell her its not hard cooking now get in there and do the washing up:ohmy::evil:

spandex said:
So two things 1) Next time you know to time to get Mrs Twenty Inch pregnant so it will be due late jan or feb.

Oh no, that's not going to happen. I've achieved genetic continuity once, that's enough for me thank you very much.

Even my mother-in-law took the child's side. Honestly, I sometimes think I'm the only adult left in the house.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ours went very well, ran pretty perfectly the cooking, except we forgot to put the sausage and bacon in....fortunately we were running behind time so had time to cook whilst we had my home made soup.

Tried someone's suggestion from here about lightly steaming the sprouts then a quick stir fry in sesame oil and sesame seeds - oh my word..didn't know sprouts could taste so good.....

Fair bit of food left over that will become a tasty soup !!!

Drank rather too much, a little headdy today, but beans on toast will sort that before another party at the mother in laws later.

Daughter is currently singing 'Jingle Bells (she's 4) and has complained that she was a bit 'fed up' because it didn't snow yesterday - it just rains.....

Ranger

Very little cooking this year, and what a relaxed Christmas it was. Went to a very good deli, got loads of cured meats, some fantastic cheese and nice bread, made little bite sized pizzas and salads to go with it. Chocolate cake and cream for pudding. It was there to pick on as we got hungry/drunk enough to need to eat, all washed down with a nice bottle of prosecco

gavintc

Guru
We are 'doing Christmas' on Sunday when I my kids are home. So yesterday was spent at my parents. We decided by common agreement to avoid turkey and had a pleasant dinner with a lovely ham joint. Success - a couple of nice bottles of wine and some pleasant malt to follow.

redshift said:
Duck eggs are richer, that's all. Great for custards and other such things.
Picked up a turkey crown at the farmer's market last week, so had it with that. Also roast spuds and chestnuts, sprouts with crispy bacon bits, steamed carrots, garlic & thyme stuffing, the aforementioned garlic mushrooms, and onion gravy. Alcohol.
Ah. I have a bit of a problemette with poultry generally. I was picking the meat off the chicken neck to give to the cat when it struck me what exactly it was I was handling. I have to ignore what eggs are before I can eat them, and even then I feel a bit icky. Duck eggs are just that bit too eggy for me to cope with.

I've recently discovered the joy of pan fried parsnips. So much easier than roasting. I was tempted to do the same with the sprouts but the risk of undercooked sprouts was too grim to contemplate....

We're having the mother of all bubble and squeaks today. :wacko:

andygates

Yum! Bum!:ohmy:

Mystery Meat Roast was had here (a small joint of pinkthing which had been in the freezer for a year or so) - yay, it was a turkey joint. The bread sauce and sprouts and roasty parsnips and and and would have clashed it it was a giant crabstick.

I have also discovered how to extinguish flaming flamy fires. Custard.

Brock

Ours went very well. a Gressingham goose which came in a sort of giant shoe box, with a free thermometer and cooked beautifully after advice from ever knowledgeable CycleChatters, lovely tasty meat and crispy skin. Wonderful roast spuds and parsnips cooked in the fat, and giblets made stock for the gravy.
Here's a pic of him about to get a basting.
xmasgoosey.jpg

Brock

spandex said:
Nice roasting tin where did you get it?

The tin and rack came from a little independent cook shop near us. It's nothing special, but luckily fitted the goose perfectly ;)

Ours went very well. I'd got a bit grumpy about Christmas dinners, and I'd no intention of cooking turkey, which I dislike, so I did a serious lump of topside with mashed king edwards, and lots of veg. The gravy came from France. Washed down with champagne and haut medoc.

The biggest investment in effort was peeling the spuds.

Top Bottom