How Did You Get to Where You Are?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
I work in some sort of zoo full of knuckle dragging monkey chimps who fix posh cars ! Don't worry,i greet them every morning with "morning chimps"....or words to that effect :whistle: ! They love it !!! :biggrin:

Well when I woke my chimps up in the morning, with their orange-juice or hot-chocolate (I kid you not) one of the youngsters, "Sixpence" thought it hilarious to hang on to the cage bar with one hand, whilst picking his nose with the other, a huge toothy grin on his face, and to wee on me while drinking from his bottle which I was holding for him.

So On Monday morning you just remind yourself how lucky you are...............................:laugh:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Well when I woke my chimps up in the morning, with their orange-juice or hot-chocolate (I kid you not) one of the youngsters, "Sixpence" thought it hilarious to hang on to the cage bar with one hand, whilst picking his nose with the other, a huge toothy grin on his face, and to wee on me while drinking from his bottle which I was holding for him.

So On Monday morning you just remind yourself how lucky you are...............................:laugh:

Arch

Married to Night Train
So somehow, from spending my days with elephants and lions I have progressed through to working for a 99 year old retired Colonel in a huge private manor house, looking after the house, dogs, and dealing with the private functions, shoots and hunt meets.

Im not career-driven, as long as im (fairly) happy and have enough money to pay the bills and a bit spare then free time to do things i love is more important to me than climbing ladders.

Good thing too - sounds like you work at Lower Loxley, and we all know what happened to Nigel when he went up on the roof....

(or we do if we listen to the Archers...)

OP
OP
Adasta

Adasta

Good luck with interviews. Here's hoping you have better luck than I have had!

PaulB

Legendary Member
I hate routine and I am very easily bored so I combined the two things I do like; driving and blood. I've worked in operating theatres in different capacities in what turns out now to be most of my life (more than half of it has been spent in the NHS or working selling stuff into the NHS - always in operating theatres). I love the fact that you never know what's coming through the doors next and I like organising myself and not jumping through someone else's hoops.

Interestingly enough, although I've seen pretty much any and every operation you can think of, including organ transplants lately, I saw something yesterday for the first time and it was a liver resection. The amount they took out was so large, it had me asking if it was a boy or a girl as the resected section (which took 7 hours) was about the same size as a healthy baby born through a ceasarian.

The best invention for me was the laser-pointer as the surgeons always ask 'what do I do with this?' or 'where do I put this?' and with the simple direction from the pen, you can show them. Even the thick ones get that.

So all in all, it's stimulating especially as we now have access to cryopreserved organs and tissues. Taking them in and thawing them before transplants requires some hard work and perfect A&P knowledge or there's an unacceptable failure on your horizon. You've got to be totally in charge in those circs. And when you get the patient off the table in good nick, it's very satisfying.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The best invention for me was the laser-pointer as the surgeons always ask 'what do I do with this?' or 'where do I put this?' and with the simple direction from the pen, you can show them. Even the thick ones get that.
It's a bit scary to think of thick surgeons - I rather preferred my former mental image of them having 'brains the size of small planets'!

"Duh - what's this thing 'ere?"

"It's the patients heart."

"Why is it moving?"

Fiona N

Veteran
So are you pro-nuclear power (i.e. the construction of nuclear power plants in the UK) or do you think we need more time to find a way to deal with waste adequately before we open more plants?

No - I'm like George Monbiot, a pragmatist though. I would much sooner we shifted to proper use of renewables (not just a scattering of wind turbines and solar PV) and junked the nuclear power plants. However, given the rate of change and the stupidity of continuing to burn hydrocarbons, I am unfortunately reconciled to a new generation of NPPs.

The problem of radioactive waste is a political problem, related to finding a publically acceptable site for disposal, not essentially a technical one. When environmentalists go on about the problem of nuclear waste and that there are no existing waste repositories (although they usually use the word 'dumps' which is confusing as there are lots of radwaste dumps - Priypat river and marshes spring to mind as do the Russian subs sunk off the northern Norwegian coast, not to mention the shaft at Dounreay and the whole Hanford site in the US) it's either untrue (many countries have existing low level waste repositories like Drigg, Rokkasho in Japan, Centre de L'Aube in France, SFR in Sweden etc.) or misses the point - no repository for high-level waste (HLW - vitrified result of reprocessing of spent fuel) and spent fuel has been required as the waste is too thermally hot (as a byproduct of radioactive decay of the short-lived isotopes) to be disposed of until it's been stored for at least 40 years in most cases. Then it's not economically viable to build a repository at depths of 500 to 1000m (significant engineering challenge but completely within current technological means) and keep it open for 50 or 60 years while the waste from today and maybe the next couple of decades cools sufficiently to be disposed of.

So most countries want a repository for HLW and spent fuel ready to be operating by around 2030 or so, to operate for about 30 to 40 years (or less) to accept waste from the current generation of power plants up until about 2025 when most of them will have been or will need to be decommissioned. The Finns and the Swedes have chosen sites for spent fuel repositories and are excavating, the French have more or less chosen the site, the Germans are still thinking about it having knocked the old East German project more or less on the head (for political reasons) and the USA are going back to basics since Yucca Mountain was shut down by Obama (some technical justification - it always was a b****d project completely different in strategy from the rest of the world). The UK, like Japan, is trying a volunteering approach to finding a site as, within reason (major fault activity, active or dormant volcanoes, geothermal activity giving rise to hot springs all tend to disqualify areas), any geology is useable if you have the right engineering.

This isn't to discount the technical difficulties entirely but where there's political will, an active public debate around the issue so that everybody can be reasonably well-informed, and trust in the regulators (including that they are free of political influence as well as being honest and technically competent), then radioactive waste disposal projects can actually concentrate on those technicalities.

OP
OP
Adasta

Adasta

Sorry that was a long answer to a short question...

But I never pass up an opportunity to educate :whistle:

No, it was great. I love hearing about "niche" subjects from experts!

I find sustainable energy really interesting; it's so in-depth...

Top Bottom