How do clipless pedals work in a crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I also ride with the pedal tension as low as it will go. When I first got the pedals I followed the standard advise of start with the tension low, but I just never felt the need to raise it. I've never had any issues accidentally unclipping so I don't see what advantage having a high tension would give.
I can see why sprinters might use high tensions because having a foot unclip under the efforts of a full-on sprint would be incredibly dangerous! (Mind you - if/when they do crash, there is probably more chance of their ankles and knees getting hurt if they remain clipped in.)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You unclip unless it is a low speed crash (i.e. from a trackstand and falling sideways).
Yup! Tempting Fate, but I've not had a reasonable speed crash yet, so I can't speak from experience on them. I do know that when I came off in slowmotion, I remained firmly attached to the bike lying sidewards on the tarmac. I couldn't get the wretched thing off me, much to the amusement of other kind souls who came to help.

I was giggling too, BTW.

Reactions: gaz

Biker Joe

Über Member
I thought that was a good question from Cycling Dan:thumbsup: .
It's reassuring to hear from the respondents that, in the majority of cases, you unclip automatically when you have an accident.
Nice to know.

boydj

Legendary Member
A few years ago I had to have an operation for an inguinal hernia. It was only when discussing the op with the surgeon that I realised that the problem was probably caused by unclipping forcibly during an incident when I was run off the road. The action of ripping the foot out of the pedal while mounting the pavement and trying to stay upright (which I did) was enough to do the damage.

But I did unclip without thinking about it.

Top Bottom