How do clipless pedals work in a crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
You unclip unless it is a low speed crash (i.e. from a trackstand and falling sideways).

+2 on that one. You unclip when falling off at any sort of speed (as I found out today on a nice sheet of ice, no real damage luckily!).

However, you don't unclip when you hit a big root hidden under 8 inches deep mud on a mountain bike. In those circumstances you generally end up writhing around in the mud in a feeble attempt to detach yourself from the bike. Don't ask me how I know this.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
99% of the time your feet unclip. You'll almost always get lateral rotation of the foot and thus the foot unclips. Adjust your pedal to the slackest/easiest setting if you are worried.
Yes, I've verified this first-hand (twice) :laugh:, and my pedals are normally adjusted at about 3/4 of full tightness when new, then even tighter later on. They still unclipped when I stacked it.

D

Deleted member 20519

Not sure how they work, I've had several crashes with my pedals on the tightest setting and I've never remained clipped into the bike.

D

Deleted member 20519

+2 on that one. You unclip when falling off at any sort of speed (as I found out today on a nice sheet of ice, no real damage luckily!).

However, you don't unclip when hit a big root hidden under 8 inches deep mud on a mountain bike. In those circumstances you generally end up writhing around in the mud in a feeble attempt to detach yourself from the bike. Don't ask me how I know this.

I take it that happened to 'your friend'? :rolleyes:

HovR

Über Member
I take it that happened to 'your friend'? :rolleyes:

Yeah, let's go with that.. :whistle:

DelB

Think skis and bindings. A wee bit lateral movement is all that's required to release the cleat from the pedal. :thumbsup:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Or not.

Last June, Mrs Kes overbalanced whilst standing still, clipped in with her right foot. It didnt unclip and she ended up with a double spiral fracture of the lower leg. She's still not walking without crutches.:cry:

Crash Fast= very likely to release, Crash Slow= Very unlikely to release. There is an inherent risk in both approaches to automatic releasing!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I now always set my pedal tensions as low as they will go and my feet have unclipped themselves the few times that I've fallen off.

I forgot to lower the tension on one side of one new pedal and I couldn't actually get my foot out even when I wanted to - probably because the cleat was a bit worn.

In my early days of MTB riding, I fell off with release tensions high, my feet remained attached to the bike and it hurt!
Or not.

Last June, Mrs Kes overbalanced whilst standing still, clipped in with her right foot. It didnt unclip and she ended up with a double spiral fracture of the lower leg. She's still not walking without crutches.:cry:
Blimey - sorry to hear that! I thought she'd be okay by now. I hope it heals properly eventually.

HovR

Über Member
I now always set my pedal tensions as low as they will go and my feet have unclipped themselves the few times that I've fallen off.

I also ride with the pedal tension as low as it will go. When I first got the pedals I followed the standard advice of start with the tension low, but I just never felt the need to raise it. I've never had any issues accidentally unclipping so I don't see what advantage having a high tension would give.

Top Bottom