how do i fix computer to trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m6mal

where's me bike
I have a tadpole configuration trike KMX X CLASS and today i bought a wired computer for it and the cable wont reach the back wheel and besides a wireless one would not be suitable either due to too large a distance between frame and spokes so lets forget that as there needs to be 5mm between magnet and sensor.... my front wheels are 16in and have disc brakes. has anyone else succeeded in fitting one to the front wheels of a trike etc. pics would be nice etc. The computer is a Halfords 5 function wired one, I only need the speed and miles done so this will be ok for my needs once i get sorted

bruce1530

Guru
No idea about the specifics of that trike, but if it’s just that the cable is too short, I would imagine that it would be straightforward to extend the wiring between the sensor and computer. The wired computer I have is just simple 2 core flex - so ten mins (*) with a soldering iron and some heat shrink would make a neat job of it.

(*) - If you can solder....

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
distance between frame and spokes is too great on back wheel unless i pack it out

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Hi forgot to mention that I used the mudguard tube bracket to mount mine, if you don't have mudguards you will have to use the rear forks with some sort of extension made up as you won't be able to buy one.

P1080004.jpg

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
Why not treat yourself to a garmin and save all those wires

If i wanted a garmin, i would of bought one, i have just paid under a tenner for a wired computer and i am not going to do loadsa miles a day and i am not a cycle fanatic etc so why would i need to spend so much money. I just want to keep it cheap and simple as the trike is going to live in the the passageway outside my flat under the stairs which is inside the building and it will be locked and alarmed although nobody comes by my flat as my groundfloor flat is one of 2 downstairs and the stairs where folk alight are near the main door and you cant even see my door let alone under the stairs. I could of used my phone as a speedo etc but too much bother with charging etc and besides i only use my phone on rare occasions. Another reason i went for the computer option is its batteries last and it is compact and at 8.50 i would not be too bothered if i broke it whereby i would be bothered if i broke my fone or left an expensive garmin attached and it got stolen or broke etc. I have a garmin built into one of my Ham Radio handheld transceivers but although i will be taking it out occassionally i will only use the gps on it for location reports.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
If i wanted a garmin, i would of bought one, i have just paid under a tenner for a wired computer and i am not going to do loadsa miles a day and i am not a cycle fanatic etc so why would i need to spend so much money. I just want to keep it cheap and simple as the trike is going to live in the the passageway outside my flat under the stairs which is inside the building and it will be locked and alarmed although nobody comes by my flat as my groundfloor flat is one of 2 downstairs and the stairs where folk alight are near the main door and you cant even see my door let alone under the stairs. I could of used my phone as a speedo etc but too much bother with charging etc and besides i only use my phone on rare occasions. Another reason i went for the computer option is its batteries last and it is compact and at 8.50 i would not be too bothered if i broke it whereby i would be bothered if i broke my fone or left an expensive garmin attached and it got stolen or broke etc. I have a garmin built into one of my Ham Radio handheld transceivers but although i will be taking it out occassionally i will only use the gps on it for location reports.

sorry it was only a suggestion

It's possible to get cheap wireless computers which saves a bit of hassle, e.g. the sigma bc 16.12 (or later models) but seen as though you've got wired already, you have limited your options! Soldering electrical cable is easy to do. Lots of youtube videos on how to do it, or you could buy a longer length of cable. You'll just need some sharp pliers to trim the insulation, wrap the cables around each other and re-insulate with electrical tape. This won't be as durable as soldering though. Once you've worked out where to put the sensor, then you'll need to fabricate a mount as suggested above. Some rigid plastic cut to size and zip ties will probably do it. If you are good with wood or metal working, or know someone with a 3D printer you could probably craft something more elegant.

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
can i see a pic or how to do it on a KMX
I don't have a KMX and sold the ICE QNT that had one fitted. I gave up on using them because I spent the ride looking at the damn thing and trying to go 0.1mph faster. I enjoy my rides much more now!

However it's a matter of fitting the sensor to a handy strut on the side you want the computer. Pad out as necessary with folded old inner tube and tape/Zip-tie or whatever you choose to hold it steady. Simply fit the magnet to pass the sensor and wind the wire around the frame to take up any slack once you've mounted it to the point of choice. I've had them on shorty bar ends clamped under the brake and gears on a bottle cage, I made up a plate to screw to the cage mount with enough room to fit the computer at a good viewing angle. A bit of scrap steel gave me enough metal to do this.

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
Computer and sensor fitted and working. I managed to make a bracket with an aluminium rod and some self amalgamating tape and fitted to front wheel.

IMG_2320.JPG
IMG_2323.JPG
IMG_2325.JPG

Top Bottom