how do i improve my hills?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slimzoe

Regular
Not sure if this is the right place, im not a beginner, been riding nearly 2 years, taking it seriously for a year, i love it and ive done a few charity rides (nightrider in london and 211 miles from wales to stonehenge) but,i am utterly rubbish on hills (Wales almost killed me!). i defeat myself before i start, convinced i cant do it, i plod at the slowest speed ever and i really want to improve (when i am out with the group and my OH i feel im holding them back) so how do i improve, is it just a case of keep plodding and it will come, or is there specific training i can do? i ride a trek lexa slx wsd.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I live in Wales and avoid them at all costs because I am rubbish. I can't do them, because I'm just not fit enough yet. Someone else will be able to help you though and will be along soon I'm sure.

Last edited:

Steve H

Large Member
Fortunately and unfortunately the answer to your question is fairly easy:-

In order to get better at riding up hills, do more riding up hills.

I'm sorry there is no miracle cure for this one, you just have to get out there and do more riding.

At nearly 17 stone, I've always struggled with the Yorkshire hills that surround where I live. I go out with a club quite regularly and always get whooped on the hills. Been riding more over the winter though and I'm getting better at them. The more miles I get in and the more hill work I have done the better I am on the hills.

I guess I could lose a load of weight to help with climbing, but I don't seem to have the discipline required. If you have better eating discipline, then this will also make a difference as there is less of you to drag up the hill.

not sure if this is the right place, im not a beginner, been riding nearly 2 years, taking it seriously for a year, i love it and ive done a few charity rides (nightrider in london and 211 miles from wales to stonehenge) but,i am utterly rubbish on hills (Wales almost killed me!). i defeat myself before i start, convinced i cant do it, i plod at the slowest speed ever and i really want to improve (when i am out with the group and my OH i feel im holding them back) so how do i improve, is it just a case of keep plodding and it will come, or is there specific training i can do? i ride a trek lexa slx wsd.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but riding for 2 years is still a beginner, lots to learn still. You are not far away from us here in Rutland, so if you want to come over for some practical tips we would be happy to help. We have a little experience in climbing hills.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You have quite a few testing little hills to the NW, not far from Nuneaton. For instance, I was quite surprised by the climb from Grendon up through Baddesley Ensor on one of my Midlands rides. Plenty of hills for you to practice on round there.

How quickly you can ride up hills is mainly a question of power-to-weight ratio. I'm assuming from your forum name that you can't really lose much weight, so you will have to increase your power instead. Do plenty of riding and it should come. I'll leave it to others to suggest detailed training plans, but I would suggest a mixture of longer and shorter rides, some easy efforts, some hard, and take whatever time you need to recover between rides.

If you are overgeared on steep climbs, then that isn't going to help. If you need them, don't be afraid to fit lower gears to your bike and use them while you are training to get fit enough not to need them any longer!

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The truth is, some people are better than others at riding hills. I think it is in-built and that is it. If you can't ride hills ( like me) no matter how much you train, you still won't do it. Yes, you will improve but only slightly. Look at Cavendish, great rider on the flat and fantastic sprinter but put a hill in front of him and he is left behind. We can't excel at everything. Know your limitations and just enjoy your rides. There is no harm in avoiding hills if you can, cycling is not just about hills. There is a whole lot of pleasure to get from it without being paranoid about hills.

Just looked at your avatar pic, and I am going to assume you are reasonably fit, not very tall and hopefully nothing that physically makes riding difficult. If this is true then your bike [from what I can see] is set up more as per a touring bike, by this I mean the saddle is either the same height as the bars or even a bit lower. Either way bike handling, technique and wind cheating would all be improved by lowering the front end.
Talk to my better half, dr_pink on here if you want clarification of the above.

PK99

Legendary Member
not sure if this is the right place, im not a beginner, been riding nearly 2 years, taking it seriously for a year, i love it and ive done a few charity rides (nightrider in london and 211 miles from wales to stonehenge) but,i am utterly rubbish on hills (Wales almost killed me!). i defeat myself before i start, convinced i cant do it, i plod at the slowest speed ever and i really want to improve (when i am out with the group and my OH i feel im holding them back) so how do i improve, is it just a case of keep plodding and it will come, or is there specific training i can do? i ride a trek lexa slx wsd.

Keep plodding and you will get better - but slowly... and you will not recognise you are getting better as you are still tail end charlie, as you impove they will go faster so you are still the one at the back. Being the one at the back is soul destroying and I;m sure may of us her hve the tee shirts and scars to prove that!

Better:
Find a steady hill close to home that takes you around 5 minutes to ride up such that you can do it reasonably comfortably but you have to work.
Ride up, keeping a cadence of 60rpm or so (ideally you want higher than that but you say you are a beginner and it takes a while to get used to higher cadences esp on hills)
Roll down.
Ride up.
Roll down.
repeat for a total of 5 climbs.

Go home, have a banana, a coffee and a shower.

Repeat later in the week, at least one rest day in between.

do that for a week or two

As it gets easier, make it harder for yourself: More repetitions, higher gear, higher cadence/speed.

You will get better, and, because you are repeating the same climb you will easily recognise you are getting better/faster/less knackered.

That is how i improved my hill climbing
When I started cycling properly 6-7 years ago Box hill in Surrey nearly killed me. Heart rate 160-170 (my max is around 180), mutliple stops. Now i can cruise up on the way home after a 50 mile ride with heart rate around 135

just keep at them and don't give up. It is possible to improve on them, I have done.
also look at your gear ratios (and get some lower granny gears, and accept the use of them).
plus I think crank arm length can make a difference but can't remember which way around it is (shorter or longer).... someone else will be along hopefully to clarify that one...

OP
OP
Slimzoe

Slimzoe

Regular
You have quite a few testing little hills to the NW, not far from Nuneaton. For instance, I was quite surprised by the climb from Grendon up through Baddesley Ensor on one of my Midlands rides. Plenty of hills for you to practice on round there.

How quickly you can ride up hills is mainly a question of power-to-weight ratio. I'm assuming from your forum name that you can't really lose much weight, so you will have to increase your power instead. Do plenty of riding and it should come. I'll leave it to there to suggest detailed training plans, but I would suggest a mixture of longer and shorter rides, some easy efforts, some hard, and take whatever time you need to recover between rides.

If you are overgeared on steep climbs, then that isn't going to help. If you need them, don't be afraid to fit lower gears to your bike and use them while you are training to get fit enough not to need them any longer!

actually the opposite my user name is tongue in cheek lol, i am losing at the moment as i know losing weight is a factor in the hills! hadnt thought of grendon to baddesley! i tend to go the other way (although steeppy is a good one by ridge lane) thanks all for the advice, i am trying to just get out there and go for it! at present its 1 big 40-50 mile ride at the weekends and a couple of turbo sessions in the week, as the weather and light improves it will be 2x 30 miles and a 40-50 mile a week. thanks for taking the time to answer! it is very much appreciated. right hills here i come.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Very long hills (18+ minutes): improve threshold, reduce weight
Long hills (10+ minute): improve threshold + power at VO2 max, reduce weight
Short hills (3-8 minute): improve power at VO2 max, reduce weight
Very short hills (<1.5 mins): improve anaerobic power, upper body and core strength, reduce weight

All of the above can be done on the flat or uphill.

Ultimately, weight needs to come down or power needs to go up, ideally both weight comes down AND power goes up!

Then if you get serious, buy a hacksaw and start chopping redundant bits of your bike off!

The truth is, some people are better than others at riding hills. I think it is in-built and that is it. If you can't ride hills ( like me) no matter how much you train, you still won't do it. Yes, you will improve but only slightly. Look at Cavendish, great rider on the flat and fantastic sprinter but put a hill in front of him and he is left behind. We can't excel at everything. Know your limitations and just enjoy your rides. There is no harm in avoiding hills if you can, cycling is not just about hills. There is a whole lot of pleasure to get from it without being paranoid about hills.

Some people may be better at riding up hills than others, but the degree degree of competence/ability most people could achieve is way beyond what they are likely to achieve if they adopt an attitude like yours. The reality is people like you are not willing to hurt for it, that is why you can't get any better! That is fine if you don't want to hurt for it, but to suggest others can't improve based on some silly theory spawned from your unwillingness to endure pain is rather absurd.

Last edited:
Top Bottom