how do i improve my hills?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ I did the Park Rash climb today colin, and it is a tough one although I wasn't in trouble at any stage. Did it in 34/13 as bottom gear sounded like spokes were rubbing against the derailleur.
Well done, but I hope you meant a 34/23 bottom gear!
@ColinJ
I found the 'Trapping Hill' climb at Lofthouse quite a bit tougher although I'm a lot fitter now. If you haven't done that one it is well worth a visit.
http://cyclinguphill.com/trapping-hill-park-rash/
Ah, I went down that on the 200 km loop I did from Hebden Bridge to take in Park Rash. It had just started raining before I got to the descent and it was pretty slippery. I thought at the time that it would be a very hard climb.

I found the climb from Pateley Bridge to Greenhow harder than I'd expected, especially since I made the mistake of stopping on a steep section to answer my phone (wrong number!) and struggled to get going again.

uclown2002

Guru
Well done, but I hope you meant a 34/23 bottom gear!

Ah, I went down that on the 200 km loop I did from Hebden Bridge to take in Park Rash. It had just started raining before I got to the descent and it was pretty slippery. I thought at the time that it would be a very hard climb.

I found the climb from Pateley Bridge to Greenhow harder than I'd expected, especially since I made the mistake of stopping on a steep section to answer my phone (wrong number!) and struggled to get going again.

Yes 34/23 or perhaps 34/24 not sure how many teeth on second gear! 34/13 might have been asking for trouble :laugh:

montage

God Almighty
@ColinJ I did the Park Rash climb today colin, and it is a tough one although I wasn't in trouble at any stage. Did it in 34/23 as bottom gear sounded like spokes were rubbing against the derailleur.

Out of interest which side was this?

I did Park Rash last summer, after going up Fleet Moss and found it pretty tough! Much tougher than Fleet Moss!

ColinJ

Ha ha ... I just tried looking at the climb in Street view and there is a gap on the steep bit where the Google car obviously had problems getting up/down! The pictures go as far as looking up from the bottom of the steepest section, or looking back down towards it! The position where the Street view coverage restarts is pretty much where the Arrivee cover photo was taken - here.

sheffgirl

I can now do my whole commute each way without stopping, even on the hilly bits :wahhey:
I dont know what did it, pacing myself or focussing on something else, like the potholes , but i managed it one day and now theres no stopping me :smile:
i love seeing how quickly i have improved, it makes me want to push myself even more :smile:

sazzaa

I dont know what did it, pacing myself or focussing on something else, like the potholes

Not looking up ahead seems to help me on hills! Head down and concentrating on something else works for me instead of looking at the massive hill I'm climbing!

ColinJ

It sounds really weird, but on a few occasions I have managed to get up steep hills without really noticing them because at the time I was deep in thought about work/family/life problems. It wasn't that I was fit, more a case of being more worried about things other than the pain in my legs and lungs.

sazzaa

I also listen to study material most commutes, if I'm concentrating on my French then the hills seem like they're not even happening!

Top Bottom