How do I know what size wheel I need

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich05uk

Hi, I have an old Marin Bear Valley fully ridged mountain bike which I’m trying to restore, I think it’s a 94 model which is nothing like the recent Bear Valley models that have been availble to buy over the last 5-10 years. There wasn’t anything wrong with it and was almost ready to go until I came to re-truing my wheels, I got my LBS to do this, but half way through whilst tensioning a spoke, they managed to pull the spoke through the rim, damaging the wheel beyond repair, apparently this was due to metal fatigue?

Anyway, I need to buy a new rear wheel to replace the old one, how do I know what size wheel I need, what measurements do I need to be aware of? I’ve looked on wiggle and it suggests that there are a few fitment options to consider when looking for mountain bike wheels, axle size, disc rotor fitment and UST compatibility being the most common questions, so apparently, its best to check what mine are before searching for a new replacement wheel?

How do I find out what these measurements are, are they important and are there other measurements I need to be aware of? I assume I can ignore rotor fitment as I don’t have disc brakes. I have looked on the rim of my old wheel and the only markings on there are WTB Speed Master 22 11.3? I’ve looked on the tyre itself and the only measurements on there are:

26 X 1.95
52mm
48mm
Fits H/E RIM (48-559)

Any clues what all these details mean and what do I need to look for when buying a new wheel? Wiggle have 20% off some wheels at the moment, like this M:Wheel Shimano Alivio/Mavic XM317 Rear Mtb Wheel for £47.99, is it any good, will it fit as a replacement to my broken wheel?

Any help much appreciated, sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but never had to replace a wheel on a bike before!

Cheers, Richard.

Grasen

any 26" MTB wheel will do

you can see that in the tire size 26 X 1.95

1.95 is tire dimension

OP
OP
R

rich05uk

Thanks Grasen.

Some more info about my bike, its 7 speed and i've measured the gap between the 2 dropouts as being 135mm, which I believe is the standard axle length for MTB? But, because its 7 speed, the wheel I've linked to in my original post above, apparently has a hub for 8,9 or 10 speed only so to fit a 7 speed I would have to use a spacer, is this what I need Halo 7-8 Speed Spacer? If so, do I but the spacer on first then the cassette and then the lockring, or do I put the cassette on first then the sapacer followed by the lockring?

Finally, assuming I will have to use a spacer, would I have to do any re-dishing of the wheel?

Cheers,

RIchard.

OP
OP
R

rich05uk

That's the thing you need, and it goes on before the cassette. No need to redish the wheel.

Thanks.

Just need to find somwhere to buy the spacer from now, wiggle is sold out and so are most places online until October at the earliest it would seem. :sad:

OP
OP
R

rich05uk

Is this what you are after?

Thanks, looks like it. The only thing I noticed is the Halo one has cutouts in it....

halo-spacer-med.jpg

The other one you linked to doesnt appear to have these cutouts?

WheelsManufacturing7SpeedCassetteon8SpeedHubBodySpacer.jpg

Does this matter? What are the cutouts for? I've had a look on wiggle and found in the Customer Reveiws for the Halo spacer the following:

"With it's three cut-outs that are milled out to clear the protruding Tie Bolts at the back of the Cassette this is the best you can buy. A plain spacer in that instance will just deform against the Tie Bolts when the Cassette is mounted on the hub and look a bit naff!"

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Top Bottom