How do I not hit tourists?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

nomoretube!

Should have explained.

I'm not cycling for 'leisure' purposes.

I'm planning to commute by bike.

My commute from Primrose Hill to Lambeth is ambitious maybe, but it does involve travelling through very dense parts of the city.

Must stress, I found other road users to be great and not as terrifying as I had feared. It was the pedestrians that were a problem.

The guy didn't hear me shout. Whatever part of the world he was from, he was used to looking the 'wrong' way for on-coming traffic. He explained and pointed at the bus I nearly went under, in explanation.

I think this is a problem specific to tourist areas and have learnt a valuable lesson. (Avoid if possible!)

I also learnt that even slowing down and braking (mr yung un) is not enough if silly sods continue walking into my bike and I cannot swerve because wife and two kids were following. My alternative was to plough into the pavement (full of shoppers), aim for other lane (said bus) or hit damn silly tourist.

next time I shall click my ruby slippers three times......

peace people ;)

yello

I think this is a problem specific to tourist areas and have learnt a valuable lesson.

Spot on! Especially the latter part.

I'm really NOT criticising but I do think you have to accept that your actions MIGHT have had something to do with the incident. It's a healthy attitude to take in any situation, regardless of experience to be fair.

We all learn. Constantly, hopefully. After a while, you develop that kind of awareness of the 'dozy ped'; that stare past you that says "I'm looking for cars and I've not seen YOU", or those charging down the pavement with the headphones on that, in their rush to get wherever, step out into the gutter to pass someone... but straight into your path. Even those that simply don't look can be predicted; their body position relative to pavement, they'll look across the road, whatever - you'll pick this sort of stuff up intuitively and the hands automatically cover the breaks.

In no time at all, you'll be trundling through town pretty much unnoticed but aware of what's going on, taking it all in your stride pedal. You'll still get caught out every once in a while but hopefully nothing too serious and nothing you won't learn from. I cycled in and around the West End for 7 years (not continuously :wacko:) and survived. Most of the time, I really enjoyed it too. Belting down Kingsway, around Aldwych and onto Waterloo Bridge was a hoot! :smile:

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find it useful, or at least mildly amusing!

nomoretube! said:
Should have explained.

I'm not cycling for 'leisure' purposes.

I'm planning to commute by bike.

My commute from Primrose Hill to Lambeth is ambitious maybe, but it does involve travelling through very dense parts of the city.

Must stress, I found other road users to be great and not as terrifying as I had feared. It was the pedestrians that were a problem.

The guy didn't hear me shout. Whatever part of the world he was from, he was used to looking the 'wrong' way for on-coming traffic. He explained and pointed at the bus I nearly went under, in explanation.

I think this is a problem specific to tourist areas and have learnt a valuable lesson. (Avoid if possible!)

I also learnt that even slowing down and braking (mr yung un) is not enough if silly sods continue walking into my bike and I cannot swerve because wife and two kids were following. My alternative was to plough into the pavement (full of shoppers), aim for other lane (said bus) or hit damn silly tourist.

next time I shall click my ruby slippers three times......

peace people :wacko:

Try and get one of these.. they can be pretty darn loud! Only thing with it is that a charge doesn't last long, but that's fine as long as you use it sparingly.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
nomoretube! said:
Should have explained.

Perhaps it would be an idea to plan as much of your route as possible through the big parks as even if this means more distance you will probably move much quicker than through the areas where the kamikaze tourists gather.

domtyler

Über Member
You were clearly travelling far too fast for the conditions. There is no need to avoid any areas, you just need to choose an appropriate speed. Where there are thousands of people milling around, stepping into the road etc. you need to be able to stop almost immediately so no more than ten miles an hour is appropriate.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
But Dom 10 mph is a bit more than twice a brisk walking pace (usually equated to 4 mph) and would still be no use if you were, say, six feet from an idiot when he stepped out in front of you. I would certainly avoid the crowded areas whenever possible.

domtyler

Über Member
Andy in Sig said:
But Dom 10 mph is a bit more than twice a brisk walking pace (usually equated to 4 mph) and would still be no use if you were, say, six feet from an idiot when he stepped out in front of you. I would certainly avoid the crowded areas whenever possible.

I don't understand Andy, I know 10 mph is just over twice a fast walking speed, but what is your point? And why would it be no use? I can stop from this speed in a couple of feet, more than enough to avoid lurching peds. Of course, if you want to go out and cycling at a rapid pace then avoid Oxford street, but if you have to then just go down there and cycle at an appropriate speed.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The only point I'm making is that while I accept that your advice is fundamentally sound in that slower speed brings a whole load of benefits, 10 mph is still not a risk free speed in an area like Oxford St where people constantly step into the road without looking. My personal preference would be, if possible, to do without the aggro altogether and, if practical, to use things like the parks. I'm not being dogmatic about it, just offering an alternative view.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Nigging over 10mph or 9 or 5 is silly - you two are in danger of violently agreeing with each other. The point is, in anywhere like Oxford Street (or much of central York) you either ride very slowly and alertly with your hands covering the brakes, or you get off and walk, or you ride another way. I know there are routes through town (just by the Minster for example) where, if it's the middle of a summer Saturday, I have to go at virtually walking pace and look at every single pedestrian and anticipate several of them stepping into my path at once, from opposite directions (as they either cross the road, gazing up at the tower, to get to the Minster, or step back to compose a photo...). I've never had to collide with one to stop...

Maz

Guru
Pedestrians have right of way over bikes. You should not hit tourists by giving way to them and riding at an appropriate speed. If that speed is too slow for you, get off and walk or take a different route.

Danny

Legendary Member
To be fair to nomoretube! you don't always appreciate how little awareness some pedestrians have be until you get on a bike. And the problem can be worse if you are a tourist in an unfamiliar city - I know that when I went to Amsterdam I nearly got hit by a tram and then a cyclist in quick succession.

You don't need a Zound, a bell is a perfectly good way of warning pedestrians you are coming - but don't forget that some pedestrians will have hearing and/or sight problems, so you still need to cycle carefully.

While I normally give pedestrians a wide berth, I have to confess I draw the line at teenagers who walk along cycle paths texting furiously with their heads bowed (which many seem to do in York). I take great delight in getting as close to them as possible so that they jump out of their skins when they eventually emerge from their texting cocoon - which is usually when I shout "wakey wakey" at about a metre's distance :smile:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Without wanting to sound like your Mum, cyclists get a really bad press...swearing at passers-by never really helps improve our image!!

I used to cycle in oxford street and you just have to accept it's lethal, cycle like a granny and be prepared to stop suddenly.

Top Bottom