How do I not hit tourists?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nomoretube!

Hello there

I got my first bike in 23 years yesterday! So feeling quite excited I took to the road. Yesterday was really hard work and I have the 'sore bum syndrome'. I headed around london town and found myself on Oxford Street. Buses - fine, Cabs - fine, other cars and motor bikes - fine but the f***ing tourists!!!

Some fat man and his family blocked the entire road with their big bodies and lots of shopping and I did not know what to do and I ended up running into him and coming off my bike and landing in the other lane.

I called him a C*** and he did apologise but he was not looking my way at all, I had slowed down, but couldn't avoid hitting him without going into the other lane.

is there anything else I could have done - I did shout before I hit him but to no effect.

It didn't put me off and I got back on the bike and went all over and no other incidents.

maybe the answer is to avoid Oxford Street?

nomoretube! said:

Welcome to CC, nomoretube! :?:

I think you answered your own question. Cyclin in central London at the height of the tourist season is almost asking for trouble.
If possible, avoid large built-up areas, especially at peak times; but maybe getting out into the countryside/onto quieter roads isn't too easy living where you do.
Otherwise, try and anticipate potential 'incidents'; it comes with practice. Your awareness will improve.
Glad you weren't hurt or the bike damaged. At least the ped apologised for his mistake and no one was injured.
Be careful and good luck.

asterix

Comrade Member
Yup, avoid Oxford Street. I cycle in York and over the years have come to accept that tourists are the human equivalent of headless chickens.

dodgy

I think it's your inexperience that is partly to blame for the accident. I'm 42 years old and I've never used the 'C' word to a complete stranger in my life, is that acceptable language in London?

Glad your OK, but learn to read the path/road/track ahead and you won't have a repeat, hopefully.

Dave.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Have the problem here, and i wasnt even in the centre of town. They walk across the road and think its clear, takes pictures of anything. Got me annoyed when he stood in the road and did it when he saw i was coming.
Gave a big excuse me, move and he moved. Better if i had an airzound though.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Young Un said:
you may find that there are levers on the handle bars, these are often useful for stopping;)

Whats this stopping you mention. Unless its a redlight and i can stop safely i wont really stop for much. I will slow down but stopping, thats just silly.:?: :ohmy:

Young Un

not bad ay for a grammar school boy

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
your first bike in nearly 23 years and you head onto the West End and Oxford Street. You are either very naive or completely bonkers..;). Welcome back to cycling

yenrod

nomoretube! said:
Hello there

I got my first bike in 23 years yesterday! So feeling quite excited I took to the road. Yesterday was really hard work and I have the 'sore bum syndrome'. I headed around london town and found myself on Oxford Street. Buses - fine, Cabs - fine, other cars and motor bikes - fine but the f***ing tourists!!!

Some fat man and his family blocked the entire road with their big bodies and lots of shopping and I did not know what to do and I ended up running into him and coming off my bike and landing in the other lane.

I called him a C*** and he did apologise but he was not looking my way at all, I had slowed down, but couldn't avoid hitting him without going into the other lane.

is there anything else I could have done - I did shout before I hit him but to no effect.

It didn't put me off and I got back on the bike and went all over and no other incidents.

Maybe the idea is to avoid CENTRAL LONDON!

Top Bottom