How do people ride in Cities without getting killed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
Bristol is the very worst place that I've ever cycled. It seems to consist of a gyratory system.

I must say I dont cycle assertively and im still happy with my commute.My biggest problem over the last two years has been my health.Not how I ride.

Actually, I wonder if it isn't just psychological. Apart from London and skip lorries of course, and I am sure there are others but IN GENERAL.

I find that most altercations/near misses or otherwise noteworthy moments happen on the "quieter" roads, either the roar is narrower so they try to bully past, or think it's OK to be on the phone because they aren't on a main road, or to reverse out without looking etc etc.

Zippy

One thing I would like to throw one in the pot for consideration.

I was turning right and then right again on a double mini roundabout - had cleared the first and was signalling right to exit the second miniroundabout.

Two small cars had cleared the roundabout by the time I was on it and the next vehicle was a 16 wheeler which hadn't yet entered.

Something told me it was going to carry onto the roundabout in front of me so I was prepared for him when he shot the give way line ready to swipe me up.

I gave a blast on my whistle and he stopped; looked surprised to see me on a cycle asserting my rights under his cab door (not underneath!). He apologised and I passed in front and away.

I think a couple of things here were reasons he honestly didnt see me:

I may have been eclipsed by his large mirrors, and

I may have been so close to the fron of his cab I was under his frontal vision.

Either way I would say be assertive when commuting but always prepared to stop or evade - like driving a car really!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Sheffield_Tiger said:
I find that most altercations/near misses or otherwise noteworthy moments happen on the "quieter" roads, either the roar is narrower so they try to bully past, or think it's OK to be on the phone because they aren't on a main road, or to reverse out without looking etc etc.

I guess there is some element of truth in that ... but on the quiet road there is generally less going on so its easier to spot in advance and more space to manoeuvre away from it. Plus if you shout you have more chance of your voice being heard.

GrasB

Veteran
Sheffield_Tiger said:
Actually, I wonder if it isn't just psychological. Apart from London and skip lorries of course, and I am sure there are others but IN GENERAL.

Quieter roads in town? Maybe but I find it's more the roads which you'd expect to be quiet but actually aren't that are the real problem & as such I try to avoid those.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I suspect city riding is the same all over the world and for my part, I've always driven or ridden in a city so am just used to how the traffic flows (or not) and have an instinctive eye for things to look out for (after getting used to it for years.

Mrs. Jeez wont drive in the city, she hates it and even gets uncomfy as a passenger (especially when I drive)

Assertive positioning, showing confidence and maintaining predictability are the keys to safe riding in a busy area I think.

Also I agree with an earlier post, the busier it gets the safer it becomes as most traffic is at a standstill (this is very true of my ride into work)

snorri

Legendary Member
summerdays said:
Plus if you shout you have more chance of your voice being heard.
:smile: How do you make yourself heard to the driver of a car about to overtake you at 60+mph when you hear another car approaching round the blind corner ahead? :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
snorri said:
:smile: How do you make yourself heard to the driver of a car about to overtake you at 60+mph when you hear another car approaching round the blind corner ahead? :biggrin:

I was thinking more of the cars reversing out of their drives without looking properly or about to pull out of a side road. The only place they can do 60+ mph around here (within the city) is on the motorway really:biggrin:.

Top Bottom