How do they not see us?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Hi Viz is fine under certain lighting conditions as is wearing dark clothing during sunlight.

I have a variation.My yellow cycling shoes should arrive soon.:wub:

Im only going on what I see and I find the ninjas at night hard to see.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Only the OP can answer those questions, but he seems 'invisible' at the moment.

But is he Highly-invisible?

if not then thats just down right inconsiderate...:whistle:

musa

Über Member
dg_069849.jpg

Help other road users to see you. Wear or carry something light-coloured, bright or fluorescent in poor daylight conditions. When it is dark, use reflective materials (e.g. armbands, sashes, waistcoats, jackets, footwear), which can be seen by drivers using headlights up to three times as far away as non-reflective materials.

HWC Rules for Pedestrians

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
dg_069849.jpg

Help other road users to see you. Wear or carry something light-coloured, bright or fluorescent in poor daylight conditions. When it is dark, use reflective materials (e.g. armbands, sashes, waistcoats, jackets, footwear), which can be seen by drivers using headlights up to three times as far away as non-reflective materials.

HWC Rules for Pedestrians
I believe that falls under 'General Guidance'

Brandane

Legendary Member

Amazing stuff, that hi-viz! Look how it adds extra light to the footpath, grass verge, the boys trousers, and the girls face and jacket :rolleyes:. OK, I know they're just using extra light to exaggerate the effects, but it's mildly annoying that they revert to such tactics to try and brainwash us.

musa

Über Member
Amazing stuff, that hi-viz! Look how it adds extra light to the footpath, grass verge, the boys trousers, and the girls face and jacket :rolleyes:. OK, I know they're just using extra light to exaggerate the effects, but it's mildly annoying that they revert to such tactics to try and brainwash us.

and lets be nit picky ...the pose is different the woman's hair is different her stance is different look at right foot lool spot the difference

musa

Über Member
Puddles have changed shape too! ;)

the excellence of hi viz arm bands :popcorn:

Reactions: gaz

DRHysted

Guru
When I was an avid motorcyclist there was a piece about killer pillars, it showed how the increased safety of cars has increased the size of the A pillers to a point where is the angles are right you can loose an entire car in this blind spot (it certainly changed the way I approach roundabouts, and that change has stuck).
Also my last car was a 2.5 ton 4x4, which was fitted out for offroad use (and used offroad), lifted, snorkeled, extra running lights, and spots. The running joke by other owners was that we had a cloaking device fitted, because the number of normal cars that just pulled out as if you weren't there was amazing, and we are expecting driver to see us on our little bikes!
Lights, hi-vis, none of it makes a jot of difference if the driver is not seeing you, and looked but did not see comes higher on the list of accident causes than speeding.

RoxyCoxy

I got hit this morning, more a nudge really, going across a roundabout. I was riding across at a relatively slow speed, because of the wet roads, and a car on my left approached it. It didn't slow down so I started getting nervous but surely thought she'd see me. I looked right into her eyes and yet she still didn't slow down. Finally, she hit my left seat-stay/rear wheel and I battled with the bike and somehow managed not to fall off. I was simply stunned that she didn't see me and brake.

She was very apologetic and when I looked the bike over and spotted that the rear wheel was buckled and would need truing, she forced £30 into my hand to cover the cost, which was nice.

Still amazed at my apparent invisibility.

You should of let yourself fall to the floor and lay motionless on the pavement. When people came over to help you should of complained of back and neck pain (whilst still remaining motionless). An ambulance and police would have arrived shortly and you would then probably have got a couple of grand compensation.
I am looking forward to the day I am involved in a minor traffic collision as I am saving for a deposit for a mortgage.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
Still amazed at my apparent invisibility.

Usually, invisibility comes from riding outside of the driver's focus point. Usually, drivers are focusing on the area of the road that is their primary threat of collision with a larger vehicle - the type that can mess their car up or kill them. In the UK, that focal point is the center of the leftmost traffic lane. On a roundabout, they will scan back from the point nearest to them to the farthest visible point, then, if the coast is clear, they'll pull out. Presumably, you were riding far to the left, as many cyclists do. Riding too far left (or too far right in the US, where I live) puts the cyclist out of the focal point and (as Brandane's link in his first post shows) makes the cyclist literally invisible. This has injured and killed too many cyclists. I used to ride in the gutter, but I found a few years ago that riding farther out into the lane stops many common types of collisions. These days I rarely ride closer than 3ft from the kerb. Since I started doing this, about ten to fifteen years ago, I have not had any collisions or close calls, whereas prior to making the change, I had a close call every year or so.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I am looking forward to the day I am involved in a minor traffic collision as I am saving for a deposit for a mortgage.

Problem with forums, posts can be misinterpreted due to an inability to see the intent....I really hope this one is said in jest

DougieAB

Getting the messages
The exact same thing has happened to me twice now, both at the same roundabout, car coming from the same direction. This was during the darker mornings, still no excuse as I am well lit up and wear reflective clothing. I am going to try spoke reflectors to see if they make a difference to my visibility.

Top Bottom