How do they not see us?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm not sure what point you are making. Of course we remember the near misses more than the other incidents (or should that be "non incidents"?). This thread started off with a question about not being seen by car drivers and surely anything we do to improve our visibility is a help? It won't stop all near misses but it may prevent some. It certainly won't make things worse for us.
My point is that you can see those who don't wear hi-viz perfectly fine.
The problem is not that we can't be seen without it but instead that people either don't look for us or we don't register (because of our size not our colour)

But I hate those apple-pie-eating people. xx(

My post was mature, well thought out and beautifully reasoned.

Your response was just a cheap excuse to use that pukey-face green smiley.

I claim both moral and absolute victory on whatever point we were debating. :dance:

Recycler

My point is that you can see those who don't wear hi-viz perfectly fine.
The problem is not that we can't be seen without it but instead that people either don't look for us or we don't register (because of our size not our colour)

I'm surprised at your stance but it we'll have to agree to differ. As I said before, if it makes me more visible, then it is likely to help. Whatever happens it won't make me more vulnerable, so I'll continue to use it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't like the slippage of standards - it's OK to look quickly and pull out at speed, because it's the cyclist's fault that they didn't have lights on during the daytime, and weren't wearing hiviz.

Just 'king look properly before pulling out. Every time. Or don't pull out. Victim blaming is scum-worthy behaviour.

I don't like the slippage of standards - it's OK to look quickly and pull out at speed, because it's the cyclist's fault that they didn't have lights on during the daytime, and weren't wearing hiviz.

Just 'king look properly before pulling out. Every time. Or don't pull out. Victim blaming is scum-worthy behaviour.
+1 - with the added proviso that I wear hi-vis to avoid any fandangling by insurance companies in the event of an accident. That's the real unarguable "safety" factor. :sad:

Recycler

Quite right, but that's the ridiculous situation we find ourselves in and that's why I try to avoid becoming a victim.

FWIW I live in rural Somerset and I don't envy your riding around the streets of London but my concern is less about people pulling out and more about people coming up my chuff at 70 or 80mph.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quite - that is the only good reason I've ever seen for wearing hiviz, but it still stinks.

Actually, its no better than helmets. Doesn't really matter legally. If you are visible for the conditions, then you are OK - you can improve this, and I think lights are better than any high viz.

My case, I had a helmet on, head/shoulder hit ground first. All the bang, scuff injuries are worth nothing, the shoulder damage is the issue on my case. So if you have a real bad cut to your head, but have deep tissue injury to your shoulder, helmet or high viz makes no difference.

High Viz is a joke. I dont wear it, but wear bright red to match my bike - day glo yellow dictates a plodder up here, stick to road bike rider kit, you have a better chance.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well, I'm like you - I rely on my lights. It's a lighting war, and I'm a fully paid up member. The same sorts of disadvantages apply though - DRL is no clear win, except for on the insurance front.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Right now and for the next few weeks it'd be self defeating wearing hi-viz round here, If I took my secondary commute route or just went out for a sunday ride. Nice bright day-glo gilet, against a background of fields full of rapeseed in bloom......

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A hi-viz jacket around here is too commonplace - I sometimes wear hi-viz gloves and overshoes. Now they do seem to get noticed :eek:

It's not just hi-viz on bikes though. My car's basically hi-viz (a Lime Yellow Saab) and the number of times people haven't seen it is ridiculous. If they can't see the car, anyone on a bike hasn't a hope of being seen - including myself.

musa

Über Member
Wearing hi viz is one of those psychological mediums. It doesn't necessary mean your 'safe'

If you mean that from a distance a driver will see then ok but it doesn't stop drivers from doing a left hook on you.

So I'm sure we can agree that it works from distance and not so much at close range. This issue has been mentioned thus far.

It's those one of things. You win some you lose some.

Top Bottom