How do they not see us?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
I got hit this morning, more a nudge really, going across a roundabout. I was riding across at a relatively slow speed, because of the wet roads, and a car on my left approached it. It didn't slow down so I started getting nervous but surely thought she'd see me. I looked right into her eyes and yet she still didn't slow down. Finally, she hit my left seat-stay/rear wheel and I battled with the bike and somehow managed not to fall off. I was simply stunned that she didn't see me and brake.

She was very apologetic and when I looked the bike over and spotted that the rear wheel was buckled and would need truing, she forced £30 into my hand to cover the cost, which was nice.

Still amazed at my apparent invisibility.

BSRU

A Human Being
I have seen on two separate occasions cars pull out on police cars which had their sirens, blue lights on and headlights flashing.
Some drivers are juts blind and/or stupid.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
DId you ask why she didn't see you? I've had this happen a couple of times and sometimes it's as though they either aren't judging your speed/distance or they really don't give a toss and think they are King of the Road and as such, have entitlement to right of way, no matter what the concequences.

Just this morning I had a very close pass where of course he 'saw' me. He also 'saw' my w*nker gesture and actually held his hand up as a weak apology.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
She was very apologetic and when I looked the bike over and spotted that the rear wheel was buckled and would need truing, she forced £30 into my hand to cover the cost, which was nice.

A big mistake on your part I'm afraid. NEVER settle on the spot, you might find later that you or your bike are more seriously damaged than you thought. Always take the details of the other party and then get things checked out in the 'cold light of day' when the adrenalin has gone and you have more time to look at things closely. I would get your bike into a good bike shop for a proffesional opinion, the very fact you say a wheel bent in an impact with a vehicle 'just needs truing' suggests a rather optimistic and naive knowledge of bike mechanics (I'm not trying to insult you here so please don't take this personally).

I hope you have her details and witnesses in case you do find the damage more serious (My first thought would be a bent frame from the impact you have described!). If you do find that your bike has been written off and she has walked away with a clean insurance history and no-claims-discount intact then it will be the best £30 she has ever spent!!!

thefollen

Veteran
Find when driving (and cycling), some people perceive a full-on stare if going slow or slowing down as a nod to say 'ok you go' (right of way or not). Best to clock where they're looking in the peripheral and act accordingly, rather than completely engaging them.

Of course she may have just seen 'through' you since she'd only mentally been looking for motor vehicles, often a problem.

Since she was apologetic it sounds more error than misunderstanding or intent, though.

green1

Über Member
RE Hi-viz, If someones isn't paying attention what difference is a bit of urban camoflage going to do? Flashing lights are more likely to be seen but even then you still have to stand on the brakes quite often. I've nearly been hit twice in the last week and I've been in the car as winter has reappeared, makes you think if they can't see a car what chance has a bike (pedal or motor) got?

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
I have seen on two separate occasions cars pull out on police cars which had their sirens, blue lights on and headlights flashing.
Some drivers are juts blind and/or stupid.
http://www.northdevongazette.co.uk/news/police_car_involved_in_roundabout_crash_1_1331205
The scary part about these types of accidents IMHO is that it's not arrogance on the part of the driver, but incompetence. If you can collide with a blue flashing police car, what chance do we cyclists have?

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
RE Hi-viz, If someones isn't paying attention what difference is a bit of urban camoflage going to do? Flashing lights are more likely to be seen but even then you still have to stand on the brakes quite often. I've nearly been hit twice in the last week and I've been in the car as winter has reappered, makes you think if the can't see a car what chance has a bike (pedal or motor) got?

True, but I think for the price of £3 a hi-viz vest can't do any harm.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
RE Hi-viz, If someones isn't paying attention what difference is a bit of urban camoflage going to do? Flashing lights are more likely to be seen but even then you still have to stand on the brakes quite often. I've nearly been hit twice in the last week and I've been in the car as winter has reappered, makes you think if the can't see a car what chance has a bike (pedal or motor) got?

X2. The day I got my hi-viz waterproof jacket I popped out that evening (a dry, clear night) to use the cash machine. On my way back home with new, shiny hi-viz and bright flashing front lamp, I nearly got wiped out by a van coming onto the roundabout in front of me. He missed my front wheel by millimetres, I was the only other user on the roundabout so I can't have been hidden by other vehicle lights or vehicles and I had a clear view of the van as it approached the roundabout. If I hadn't slowed really quickly once I realised he wasn't stopping I would have been splatted!

All the hi-viz in the world won't help these morons, it is of very limited use next to being alert and keeping your wits about you.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I got left hooked the other day,with my three Smart Superflash and magicshine on the back,plus hi-viz and reflectors.

Guess he had the memory of a goldfish unless Stevie Wonder was driving.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I Always wear hi viz since I was involved in an rta. It may not make a difference to the complete idiots on the road. But it will certainly help you be noticed by the the remaining 99% of competent road users. To say it has limited use in my opinion is ridiculous.

green1

Über Member
I Always wear hi viz since I was involved in an rta. It may not make a difference to the complete idiots on the road. But it will certainly help you be noticed by the the remaining 99% of competent road users. To say it has limited use in my opinion is ridiculous.
Back when hi viz yellow wasn't plastered everywhere it was very useful, but as with anything else when it's overused then it loses it's effectiviness as you can't see the wood for the trees.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I saw a video from the drioid this week (cant find it now) in which the driver in a SMIDSY said he saw the driod and thought that as he was "trying to draw so much attention to himself", he would ignore him...something like "teach him a lesson".

He wasn't shirty and it was a pleasant enough exchange but I wonder if we all do this to some extent when we "look through" other road users. I wonder if we (particularly we brits..being as introverted as we are) are somewhat conditioned to ignore attention seekers and that we wrongly see some other road users in that light.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Back when hi viz yellow wasn't plastered everywhere it was very useful, but as with anything else when it's overused then it loses it's effectiviness as you can't see the wood for the trees.

Maybe there is some truth in that, but then again I suppose it depends on the concentration of cyclists in your area. There I quite a few cyclists round my way, but I don't seem many in hi viz. I have noticed an improvement since wearing hi viz, but the majority of problems I encounter is drivers not anticipating the speed I'm travelling at. They see a cyclist And naturally think your travelling at 5mph.

Top Bottom