How do they not see us?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I know that police drivers are trained to look at the furthest point along the road that they can and leave their peripheral vision to pick up on everything else.

Errm; this one wasn't, but then it was a long time ago (25 years) :smile:. I was taught to constantly scan everywhere; in the distance, the midground, foreground, both sides and behind (using mirrors). I think the method you describe would induce the very "target fixation" that causes the blind spots as demonstrated in that link.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
If we should all be wearing reflectives, then we shouldn't have dark or dull coloured cars...?
Why?

subaqua

What’s the point
Errm; this one wasn't, but then it was a long time ago (25 years) :smile:. I was taught to constantly scan everywhere; in the distance, the midground, foreground, both sides and behind (using mirrors). I think the method you describe would induce the very "target fixation" that causes the blind spots as demonstrated in that link.

thats how the guy who taught me to drive, after i had been taught to pass a test by a driving school, taught me. he was a top notch instructor with cheshire police too.

D

Deleted member 1258

but the majority of problems I encounter is drivers not anticipating the speed I'm travelling at. They see a cyclist And naturally think your travelling at 5mph.

This surprisingly common, for some reason or other they can't get their heads round the fact the we travel at more than ten mph, my experience is that the lower the concentration of cyclists the more of it there will be.

Reactions: gaz

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
My Father taught this to me. He was in the job for 25 years and retired around 10 years ago...so he trained around 35 years ago I guess. He was also met...would that make a difference.

He taught me this along with stuff like flattening bends (finding the apex), Forward obs (especially on blind bends), hazard perception (running a constant monologue of every hazard i saw...or perceived), road position, spatial awareness and general stuff that I've used all my life since.

Don't get me wrong he wasn't teaching me to ignore the middle distance just not to be fixated with the front of my bonnet (as many too drivers are)

Recycler

I Always wear hi viz since I was involved in an rta. It may not make a difference to the complete idiots on the road. But it will certainly help you be noticed by the the remaining 99% of competent road users. To say it has limited use in my opinion is ridiculous.

I completely agree with that and I'm surprised at how many cyclists I see when I drive to work who are wearing dark clothing. Hi Viz won't protect us in every situation, but I am convinced that it will, at least, not make things worse for us. Everything to gain, nothing to lose.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I completely agree with that and I'm surprised at how many cyclists I see when I drive to work who are wearing dark clothing. Hi Viz won't protect us in every situation, but I am convinced that it will, at least, not make things worse for us. Everything to gain, nothing to lose.
Aaaaaaah so you can see them? Well what is the problem then?

Recycler

A fair question!

Firstly, as a cyclist I tend to notice bikes more than most drivers. It's exactly the same when you get a new car; you suddenly notice how many of that model there are on the road.

Secondly; I am convinced that the cyclists who are wearing Hi Viz are seen sooner. I can't prove it but I am sure that it is true.

Thirdly; I don't think that anyone has ever claimed that Hi viz is ever worse than other colours. As I said before, everything to gain, nothing to lose.

For me, it's a no brainer....and I'm only a recent convert. I've even bought some Hi viz gloves recently. Good for oncoming traffic, even better when I am making hand signals.

I get the impression that this question is asked partly in jest, but there is a potential problem.

Whether one agrees with them doing so or not, cars are driven on NSL roads at 60mph, sometimes faster.

In poor light or in the dark, drivers will be better able to plan passes the more notice they have of the presence of other road users.

As a driver, I appreciate sharing the road with highly visible cyclists.

Having said that, I have very little that would qualify as Hi-Viz. I wear lots of bright colours, so I sort of half-qualify.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A fair question!

Firstly, as a cyclist I tend to notice bikes more than most drivers. It's exactly the same when you get a new car; you suddenly notice how many of that model there are on the road.

Secondly; I am convinced that the cyclists who are wearing Hi Viz are seen sooner. I can't prove it but I am sure that it is true.

Thirdly; I don't think that anyone has ever claimed that Hi viz is ever worse than other colours. As I said before, everything to gain, nothing to lose.

For me, it's a no brainer....and I'm only a recent convert. I've even bought some Hi viz gloves recently. Good for oncoming traffic, even better when I am making hand signals.
If all these non-hi-viz wearing cyclists are so hard to see. Why are there so many of them? How do they get to work safely?

Recycler

If all these non-hi-viz wearing cyclists are so hard to see. Why are there so many of them? How do they get to work safely?

I've never read any stories on this forum about how safe the roads are for cyclists but I have seen plenty of stories about SMIDSY's, accidents and near misses.

What we wear is, of course, a personal decison and I wouldn't want to see it any other way. However, from my point of view, I am convinced that Hi Viz will most likely improve my safety and certainly not reduce it.

Top Bottom