How do you feel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I have 2 cars, one is little more than a track day toy, but in all honesty I could easily get by without a car on a day to day basis, about the only time I use the car is when going somewhere with or picking up/dropping off my other half (it's much cheaper than Taxis over a year). That said many a time I've been grateful that I've had a large booted, powerful & relatively economical mile eater, but that's a very life style dependent thing.

I sold my motorbike on H&S grounds, it's a psychological problem... put me on anything with 2 wheels & I have to push the limits. This is okay on a bike but when you've got a motorbike it's just asking for issues.

Norm

I've got a couple of motorbikes but it'll take a lot to make me part with them, even though I have done more miles on Norm Power than Esso Power over the past 2 years.

david1701

depends what you do, I don't drive but really need to for the ability to move kit around (peli cases and lightstands) but I can ride for everything else. TBH with the exception of distances there aren't that many practical differences between a motorbike and a bike

OP
OP
rugbyluke

rugbyluke

True I'm gonna keep it. I would really regret it I'd I sold the bike. Oh well more overtime it is :sad:

OP
OP
rugbyluke

rugbyluke

True I'm gonna keep it. I would really regret it I'd I sold the bike. Oh well more overtime it is :sad:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Depends if you can live without a car , ok int towns/cities but if your more rural with no public transport to work as an alternative then i would keep the other form of transport.

Woz!

We're just about to mothball my car (we have to keep one car on the road as we have two kids and elderly relatives) but today I've just got Betty* taxed and insured for those days when I really can't face the 26 mile round trip to work!

Betty:

betty.jpg
Picture taken with my old OM4Ti film camera - it's not an old photo!

*Don't ask, the kids named her and I've no idea what it's in reference to!

Adasta

My old car was called Betty.

You won't regret it. She was a bit of a goer.

PoliceMadAd

I only cycle now, passed my car test last June, had a car for 2 months but after having it written off (not my fault), and my insurance being 3x the cost of the car, plus the paperwork from the crash, plus becoming unemp and my finances going awry, i've decided not to get another car until i know it won't leave me in s$*t. I miss the driving, and the days out, but anywhere i need to go, i can cope with on the bike. And i'm 20 :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm pedal powered only - I can drive, I drive at work, but just don't need a car at the moment. I live in the city centre, all my work is within 3 miles of home. If I needed to I'd hire a car, but I do my long distance travel by train. No parking at my flat anyway, and running a car would empty my pockets.

I'm 41.

MGBLemonrider

I have a Guzzi which has developed one too many interesting character features and has sat unloved for 2 years now after a initial five year love affair. Since then I've moved on to cycling and commute daily 11 miles each way, local weekly evening CTC ride and the odd slightly longer ride for fun.
Last summer I picked up a viral thing and cough so cut back on lunch time running and the fun rides but kept up the cycle commute. In September the viral thing ended up with me having a fit. So my driving licence has been revoked. So I can't drive even if I wanted to now.
Do I miss driving - not really. I had to lift share in the heavy snow for the week over christmas. Not so easy just to pop out to the shops particularly if want to pick up something large/heavy.
Does my wife miss me driving yes! We still have three children at home primary/secondary age. All the driving I did now falls to her, she has to do the weekly shop or take me or increasingly main shop on home delivery. She can't wait for me to get my licence back for April.
Some of our issues are life style choices and compounded by having the cars sat there available.
Even when a motorcycle was my sole transport you can get a fair bit more on it than a pedal-cycle. I once had a lawn mower strapped across the back seat across the panniers.
One day will I go back to motorcycles probably. They're very much a luxury and can't really be fully enjoyed like they used to be, or is that me just being older and more socially responsible?
So in short it is do able but at times it may be a complete PITA

Top Bottom