How do you keep your head warm?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tadpole

I was recently having a discussion about riding through the winter and was told that you need to keep your hands, feet and head warm and then riding through the winter will be a lot easier.
I now have my feet and hands warm, the question is how do I keep my head warm because I know that I cannot get a bobble type hat under my helmet.
Your experiences on what to wear under my helmet will be greatly received?
Stephen
Cycle faster. Keeps me warm and toasty

Depends entirely on how cold it is out there and what attire I am cycling in at the time.
Out in -15C last feb in Turkey, my attire included a climbing jacket that has a hood designed to go under a helmet - worked far better than a skull cap when combined with a biff, but then we didn't want any skin exposed at all.
In the UK with it being 'chilly' (still not put the heating on, or shut the windows yet), then I'll probably just use my skull cap.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I make sure my ears are covered and dont worry about the top of my head. I have a very hot head and need a bit of airflow. When its Arctic I use a buff over the whole bald dome.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How about pulling a cheap beanie hat over your helmet?
I don't wear a helmet so haven't tried it, but it might give some warmth while still allowing air to circulate.

vickster

Legendary Member
Loads of hair here. But did get a pearl Izumi skullcap for 12 quid off fleabay. If I actually go out when cold. I have a runners headband for just the ears

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
Thanks to all for your post's a skullcap will be purchased shortly.

Cyclist33

I looked at the skull cap and could see no signs of it having been used - no hairs, grease marks, or dandruff on it and it smelt as if it had just been taken out of its packaging. I have a big head, but it was large enough to fit me comfortably. They cost about £18 at the time. So, yes - I was lucky! :thumbsup:

And big-headed, it would seem ;-p

But I agree - I have had two great caps over time that just, like, apPEARED on the road and it was a bit of finders keepers really. And I just got a Team GB wool cap from my local pub the other night that someone saw fit to forget. Mind you, it needs a wash.

Stu

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And big-headed, it would seem ;-p

But I agree - I have had two great caps over time that just, like, apPEARED on the road and it was a bit of finders keepers really. And I just got a Team GB wool cap from my local pub the other night that someone saw fit to forget. Mind you, it needs a wash.

Stu
I rode the Pain in the Pennines event a few years ago and just a few miles from the start, I spotted a brand new cycling jacket lying in the road rolled up in its stuff-sack. I picked it up and dropped it off at the first feed station with instructions to get it back to event HQ in case one of the other riders had dropped it. I spoke to the organiser afterwards and he said that a young female rider had asked if anybody had handed it in and was dead chuffed that I had. She had only bought it a few days before and it had fallen out of her jersey pocket. I think it cost about £70!

Top Bottom