how do you learn to cycle off road properly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daveyrunner

I recently tried single track for the first time in the Lkes at Winlatter. It was a bit of a baptism of fire but I just took my time and rode the same trail a couple of times which is a great way to build confidence and skills.

Also just talk to the other bikers there and they will be happy to give you tips

GilesM

Legendary Member
GilesM said:
You will see one big jump on at the start of one section of Blue, Red, Black grade descent just as you cross a fire road, there are signs to tell you this a black grade jump, it can be a very big air jump, great fun, but I think quite a few have enjoyed the jump, but not the landing:ohmy:

When I was there last weekend this jump had gone, it has been replaced by a smaller one and a couple of extra berms, strange as it had only been there for about 12 to 18 months, however the good news is that the extra berms mean that you are going much faster as you hit the next jump (wide table top) which is nice.

mintsauce

I'd always suggest professional coaching.

Don't rush into this though as you can waste a lot of money and gain little if you go with the wrong coach. Find someone who actually has the technical skills but importantly the coaching qualifications to indicate they have the ability pass on those skills in a coherent and relevant manner.

Dependant on how serious you are, look for someone who is also trained in elite psychological and physiological performance for example.

Alternatively, a cheaper option and one which you can gain a lot from is that of the instructional DVD. This is just one example:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fundamentals-DVD/dp/B0006OQYZK

All the best!

andyhunter

to gain technical experience on the bike i just went head first into racing mtd then done both mtb and road racing and now just mainly focus on road racing. but you should start of going to any forrest and build convidence up riding over things you can or up things you can and then keep trying to go over or down more challenging technical stuff. do not rush into trying to do downhill technical stuff unless you have lots of skill as if your confidence gets a knock if you come off or faced with fear of coming off or not liking the look of something steep or challenging its not good. if something looks to hard it generally is, so start of easy and work up over time would be a good approach and try to vary terrain which over time you will pick up the best lines or approach to different objects your faced with to take risk or if your confident or the easy approach to pass something without putting your foot down or coming off. B). hope that helps.

yenrod

Virtual DBP said:
My middle one is wanting me to take him mountain biking but i don't have a clue how to technically ride off road.

i do have a very basic mountain bike, but i only ever ride road bikes so can anyone suggest the best way to learn how to ride trails properly.

Keep riding off-road :smile:

tradesecrets

Virtual DBP said:
My middle one is wanting me to take him mountain biking but i don't have a clue how to technically ride off road.

i do have a very basic mountain bike, but i only ever ride road bikes so can anyone suggest the best way to learn how to ride trails properly.

It simple really easier than you realise

yashicamat

A few simple things (which are fairly obvious anyway) will help things along too; keep reasonably firm tyres to avoid pinch puctures, give the handbars an upward tug to "pop" the wheel up a bit if going over a small vertical obstacle (e.g., a wooden erosion board across the trail) - it helps to make the transition a bit smoother, watch the pedal position on channels / large rocks etc. to avoid catching them, think ahead with gearing so you don't hit a really steep slope and find yourself out of time to change through the gears, until you know the bike really well, brake well in advance of sharp corners as trying to peel off the speed on a loose surface while cornering can be entertaining . . . all obvious stuff really. If you do any moorland riding, be wary of puddles / peaty channels; they can be a lot deeper than they look and can nicely drop the front wheel down enough to send you over the handlebars, not painful usually, just embarassing and will get you wet too.

Just a few thoughts. :laugh:

"how do you learn to cycle off road properly?"

You don't need to learn that. You need to learn to fall off. The rest will follow naturally xx(

Oh and remember how to spot marshland aheadand don't be frightened to get off and push

You don't need to learn that. You need to learn to fall off. The rest will follow naturally :biggrin:

Oh and remember how to spot marshland aheadand don't be frightened to get off and push

Debian

Sheffield_Tiger said:

You don't need to learn that. You need to learn to fall off. The rest will follow naturally :ohmy:

Or carry if the mud is the wrong type and front fork mud clearance is not good enough :thumbsup:

Debian

Sheffield_Tiger said:

You don't need to learn that. You need to learn to fall off. The rest will follow naturally :laugh:

Or carry if the mud is the wrong type and front fork mud clearance is not good enough ;)

the_bing

Über Member
i've been MTBing for nearly 20 years now. no-one showed me how to do it. just get out and give it a go. start on easy tracks, and you'll soon want to progress. yashicamat's advice is good. theres plenty of books on the subject if you want to get geeky about it.
get out there and do it! don't fear the mud, it's good for the complexion

the_bing

Über Member
i've been MTBing for nearly 20 years now. no-one showed me how to do it. just get out and give it a go. start on easy tracks, and you'll soon want to progress. yashicamat's advice is good. theres plenty of books on the subject if you want to get geeky about it.
get out there and do it! don't fear the mud, it's good for the complexion

Top Bottom