How do you mount and dismount your bike?

Mike_P

Guru
Has that actually ever happended - if your right foot in heading to the floor that is sufficient to stop any tumble to the right. Conversely as I found last year if the camber on the road is weird you can still tumble over but to the left.

Reactions: C R

freiston

Über Member
I mount from/dismount to the right and I am left-handed, left-footed and left-eyed. I always push off with my right foot on the ground and similarly wait at junctions with my right foot on the ground. I am aware of the safety aspects of the right-hand-side mount/dismount and also that I therefore tend to lean my bike against wall/post/gate etc. with the drive-side to the outside, meaning that if the bike topples, I am much more likely to damage things (lost count of the times I've had to re-align my steel gear hanger). I have tried doing it from the left but I am so bad at it that I genuinely am safer mounting/dismounting on the right.

I would say that my left leg is stronger and I have noticed that either on the bike or on foot, when the going gets tough, I will push with my left leg harder.

As I get older, the more I have to tilt the bike to clear the saddlebag/rack pack.

When I was younger (and not using SPDs), I would often do a scooting mount and a running dismount. Another dismount that I used to employ was to pull a "little wheelie" and step/hop/jump off the back of the bike with the back wheel coming forward and the saddle upwards. On the rare occasion, I would sometimes swing my leg forwards over the handlebar but not often and usually in a "party trick" spirit rather than in earnest. I don't do any of that now :laugh:

Reactions: C R

Alex321

Über Member
Did it occur to you how problematic it might be if you took a fall with the right on the floor when you invariably fall into the traffic?

Not knocking Mike here, more a general observation. People wear lids and hi vis in the name of safety, and then merrily go against safety with unsafe riding practices.
If I have fallen when coming to a stop, it has always been in the direction away from the unclipped foot, so not the one "on the floor".

But having said that, you have a good point, because I always unclip the left foot. I have fallen to the right a couple of times as a result, fortunately not when there was any passing traffic.

I'll admit, I hadn't really thought about that, it just seems natural to me, as my right leg is stronger, so is the one I want to be pushing with as I start - and I always mount from the left, clipping in the right foot before starting, then clipping in the left once moving. SO it just seems natural to do the opposite when stopping.

I don't get all this 'falling over when unclipping' malarkey. Sure, in the early days you might have a few 'moments' but once this is passed then it just becomes automatic, autonomous, natural? I continually berate my son because despite riding SPD's for years he still unclips a foot dozens of yards before coming to a stop or reaching an obstacle. This is despite me repeatedly demonstrating you can unclip instantly as you stop, or if you need to put down a foot during a tricky manoeuvre. Also, unclipping in advance increases the chance you will be unable to complete a difficult section.
My SPD tension is set to max but I have never failed to release instantly when needed, and this includes when flying over the bars when strangely the bike always fails to join me in flight..... :laugh:

This is despite me repeatedly demonstrating you can unclip instantly as you stop, or if you need to put down a foot during a tricky manoeuvre. Also, unclipping in advance increases the chance you will be unable to complete a difficult section.
My SPD tension is set to max but I have never failed to release instantly when needed, and this includes when flying over the bars when strangely the bike always fails to join me in flight..... :laugh:
Get him to watch a local CX race - even us total duffers can hop off an SPD bike without any problems.
(the remounts tend to be a bit ropier at the back of the field ... but we generally get going ... )

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Not something I’d given much thought to but ………….. you know how it is, surfing aimlessly through you tube there seems a bizarre amount of info on this! Anyway, just got me thinking, how do you mount and dismount your steed?
I favour (what I think of) as the postie mount/dismount I.e. a little push of with the left foot on the pedal then swing the right leg over the saddle - off you go. Dismount is the reverse. Anyone have any weird methods??
Same here, Julian, except getting off, no push needed, just need to make SURE I'm still rolling as I go to swing that let over! (Hate getting off the bike standing still... too old to be able to make that look graceful!

When I dismount I always do it when the bike has totally stopped and the brakes are on

never do it moving - don't think I ever have - at least deliberatly - then have been one or two occasions where I did but it hurt.

Top Bottom