How do you navigate when you are riding a bicycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You can come for a drive with me any time!

I know what you mean about instinct; if you've spend years of your life finding your way around Britain with maps and A-Zs, you seem to develop a sort of instinctive understanding of the way towns and cities are laid out. Obvious cues like streets called "London Road" or "Roman Road" or "The Glebe" will help. It all goes wrong though in cities like Leeds or Birmingham, which were wrecked by planners in the 70s and 80s and have lost their evolved streets.

Even when I first arrived, I found it easy to get around by instinct ....

Oh, and these ....

m1-motorway-sign-northbound-AXA00N.jpg

(btw, the OP hasn't logged in since the day she joined, so we are probably talking to ourselves)

I see a road sign and think to myself... “I haven’t been this way before, I wonder where it leads me?”

This method of navigation has resulted in some of my best rides.
I know what you mean. First time I followed the sign saying "the North" I ended up in Edinburgh.

(that wasn't cycling ... obviously, I have cycled to Edinburgh, but not on the M1)

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I see a road sign and think to myself... “I haven’t been this way before, I wonder where it leads me?”

This method of navigation has resulted in some of my best rides.
I often "explore", and take risks whether a road looks to be going the right direction! Sometime it works out, and if not hopefully you remember not to go down that route next time.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Google maps first then memory of it

Or by the stars.

Just take the scenic route if not sure

Top Bottom