Votes: 12 26.1%
  • I get aerobically fitter after many weeks of hard graft

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • Does not matter how hard I work I don't seem to get aerobically fitter

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I am allergic to exercise

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Wasn't sure which thread to answer. ^_^

lane

Veteran
I do get fitter aerobically but it takes quite a long time. If I get a good run of having time, not being ill and not being winter I can notice some decent improvement over two or three months. Trouble is then something comes along like illness and I loose it quite quickly. That said I'm a relatively slow rider compared to many and I only ever seem to improve to a point.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I used to respond pretty quickly to doing more cycling but these days I struggle to get above modest fitness. I am fairly sure that I have permanent lung damage which limits what I can do - I am okay to about 75% effort but then things get tough.

It could be that I am not trying hard enough. I'll put a bit more effort in this year and see if it pays off.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What is this thing called 'exercise' that you speak of? Never done any and don't intend to do any in the future.

I find my body adapts quite well to cope with any regular physical activity I expose it to, whether it be work or leisure related, but then I am a relative spring chicken at only 45 years old. The upshot of this is that I currently have a body that is pretty good at cycling good distances at reasonable speeds.. I could just as easily develop the physique of a lazy fat slob if that were my lifestyle.

I don't believe in exercise and training as such and have a feeling that training for the sake of getting fitter, just because you want to be fit, is just a waste of energy and uses up valuable body resource that is needed later in life. I only have one body and don't want to wear it out.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was a real hard gainer when I was younger, so used to work hard and eventually did gain. Now I'm older it takes noticeably less time with Brother Iron and Sister Steel to start bulking. I've some theories, but really dont know why.

PS, back and chest day today, already done 40 minutes clanging and banging.

As for muscular endurance, I seem about the same as when younger. It's my lungs that leap out of my windpipe and flip all over the floor these days, but I try and best that with sheer blood mindedness.

I'm fortunate in that I get into good shape quite easily and quickly.

However, the down side is that my motivation is wanting. Or maybe it's just apathy/laziness?

Sharky

Guru
Dont use weights just cycling and find that regular riding for about 6 weeks will get me back to fitness. Currently a few lbs over weight, but usually drops off when riding in hotter weather and my tempo on the bike rides increases.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I guess being active pretty much all of the time means I maintain a certain level of fitness.

And strength.

Active, 'on the ground' (as opposed to driving the tractor) farming, and yoga keep me strong enough.

Building muscular bulk - that is shorter big bulky muscles can increase your injury risk.

Long strong muscles kept closer to the bone are more efficient, and make one less prone to injury. Makes space in the joints, puts less strain on tendons and ligaments, and the muscle fibres themselves. - That's how yoga - done properly builds and maintains the muscles - in a healthy balanced way

I don't look like a body builder, but I'm stronger, and have more endurance than most guys I know.

That said I'd like to be aerobically fitter right now.
Not getting out for enough longer bike rides and walks - a bit of laziness - combined with the instant gratification entertainments of the wonder-web.

Decided to make some changes on that front, and limit my online time severely.

So if you see me on here too much, box my ears and send me out for a bike ride. :bicycle::angel:

johnblack

Über Member
I notice how quickly I loose my fitness when I have some time away, especially holidays. It takes longer to get back to where I was than the time I had away.

I used to do lots of very heavy weights but only use light weights for conditioning now, doing the heavy stuff just makes me heavy.

MarkF

Guru
I am 56 and buff. It's down to a lifetime of sport..................but that sport has dwindled now to just cycling. Enter middle age and if you don't use resistance weights then your body is going to go downhill and you are not going to look good (physically), no matter how much cycling you do. It's alright saying you don't need it at 45, or you've always been fit, or you've always done a manual job........past 50, get on the weights.

So, I have "off" times when I just can't be bothered but generally I respond quickly once back in the swing.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
As I get older I find it takes longer to recover after a weekly 'total fitness' session I take part in - exercises with light weights. It doesn't seem to get any easier and muscles ache for longer. I'm the oldest there by decades and it's hard work. However I'm encouraged by knowing that I'm still fitter than most of my contemporaries who don't cycle or take much exercise.

Top Bottom