Votes: 12 26.1%
  • I get aerobically fitter after many weeks of hard graft

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • Does not matter how hard I work I don't seem to get aerobically fitter

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I am allergic to exercise

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I am 56 and buff. It's down to a lifetime of sport..................but that sport has dwindled now to just cycling. Enter middle age and if you don't use resistance weights then your body is going to go downhill and you are not going to look good (physically), no matter how much cycling you do. It's alright saying you don't need it at 45, or you've always been fit, or you've always done a manual job........past 50, get on the weights.

So, I have "off" times when I just can't be bothered but generally I respond quickly once back in the swing.

As I get older I find it takes longer to recover after a weekly 'total fitness' session I take part in - exercises with light weights. It doesn't seem to get any easier and muscles ache for longer. I'm the oldest there by decades and it's hard work. However I'm encouraged by knowing that I'm still fitter than most of my contemporaries who don't cycle or take much exercise.

Yes you do need to do some kind of strength or impact exercise - in addition to the aerobics of cycling - to maintain bone density - and avoid osteoporosis - at any age - but particularly in middle age onwards - a combination of types of activity is best - it doesn't have to be 'weights' in the conventional sense though - even reasonably energetic gardening or housework can give you a good workout.

And dancing - as someone mentioned above can be fun too.

The trick is not to stop altogether - even if you get ill or injured - pick yourself up afterwards and keep doing what you can.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am 56 and buff. It's down to a lifetime of sport..................but that sport has dwindled now to just cycling. Enter middle age and if you don't use resistance weights then your body is going to go downhill and you are not going to look good (physically), no matter how much cycling you do. It's alright saying you don't need it at 45, or you've always been fit, or you've always done a manual job........past 50, get on the weights.

So, I have "off" times when I just can't be bothered but generally I respond quickly once back in the swing.
Why is it important to look good? IMO it is more important to be healthy and fit than be aesthetically perfect.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Winter is the worst time of year for me and exercise. Cycling or walking are my thing. I hate the wind and dark nights. Live out in the sticks so either can be quite scary with dark nights and drivers who think they know the country lanes. We seem to have too many things to do at the weekends. Come the lighter nights and I will be getting out after work. It'll then take me weeks to get up to last year's fitness levels.
Every year takes longer. 62 and getting slower.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Since I took up structured training together with retests every 4-5 weeks I am getting a better feel for how I respond to different types of exercise. High intensity seems to work well for me for lifting my aerobic fitness. I would hate to be putting the effort in and not seeing much return on the investment. Strength requires more work to see results.

@Drago ...the post a lie thread is that way>>>>>>>

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Looking for something like a Fitbit but not as expensive. Bought 2 misfit rays today from Argos. They're going back tomorrow as we can't find how or if we can download the app to Android phones. One part of their website says it is only available for iOS.
Can anyone recommend anything similar, around £50?

Top Bottom