How do you ride a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Exaggerated a tad and I'm nothing like out of the saddle, but I've noticed I tend to rest my backside just on the saddle while taking a fair amount of my weight on my legs and arms, which got me wondering if it'd be worth adjusting my technique at all, or if there's a general rule of thumb for where my weight should be spread?

I can't help think settling more firmly into the saddle and trying to turn smoother circles could be more efficient? It just seems odd when I try.

I am rarely on the saddle off-road on my mtb, on road then heavily on the saddle.
my touring bike - firmly on the saddle unless resting my backside and stetching my legs.
my road bike, I seem to sit on the nose of the saddle slightly more then I suspect I should, but I am not pushing myself back all the time, and often get out of the saddle for climbs, leg stretching or just for the fun of it.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
All of above and more. I might just move half an inch, or get right up of the saddle for a bit to rest my arse, but if I do that on the flat I'll change up a couple of gears first. This stops me spinning like crazy and adds a bit more forward speed in to the mix.

boydj

Legendary Member
Speaking of which, is there anything obvious that would cause wrists and palms to ache? Is my seat too high?
Seat height is determined by the relationship between your saddle and the pedals and the length of your legs. Then you set the height and position of the bars. Your bars may be too low or too far away. Lots of good info on here about setting up your position on the bike, if you want to search for it.

danjanoob

Seat height is determined by the relationship between your saddle and the pedals and the length of your legs. Then you set the height and position of the bars. Your bars may be too low or too far away. Lots of good info on here about setting up your position on the bike, if you want to search for it.

Thanks. Now you've said that, i wouldnt like to lower the seat as my legs get just the right travel IMO. Maybe i need to 'flip the stem'. I'll do a bit of research.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Also check the angle of the saddle, if it allows this particular adjustment. The saddle on my new Specialized road bike has an adjustable angle, i.e. I can tilt its nose up or down. If the nose is too far down, then your posterior tends to slip forwards onto the nose, so you'll need to tilt the nose up a bit, which then helps you stay seated on the rear part of the saddle, and this helps you relieve some of the pressure on your arms and hands.

Davidc

Guru
These days - sedately.

Once upon a time, many years ago - like a maniac.

Top Bottom