How do you stop Cats killing birds and small mammals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
It was quite upsetting to see that the baby blackbirds in our garden have been killed by the cats, yet again. With the large cat ownership in the UK, it would be good if the owners took more responsibility for their pet.

"Nature is a joy to behold and, with some forethought, the garden can be a place
where cats and wildlife enjoy a much more peaceful coexistence."

This pdf from cat protection charity gives some good advice:
https://www.cats.org.uk/uploads/documents/The_Cat_Mag_extracts/Harmony_in_the_garden.pdf

• The first step to reducing predation is to keep your cat indoors at night
    when birds and small mammals are at their most vulnerable.
  • It is preferable that they remain indoors at least an hour before sunset and an hour after
    sunrise to allow nocturnal mammals to retreat home and for birds to feed.
  • Giving these cats a collar with a bell to wear will help save birds but, for the safety of the cat, make
    sure that it is a quick-release collar that snaps open.
  • RSPB states that a correctly fitted collar and bell can reduce cat predation by a third or
    more.
  • Another use of bells could be to tie some to the branches of your hedges
    or along the tops of fences, giving an extra warning to birds and wildlife of a stealthy
    feline approach.
  • To allow for your cat’s natural hunting instinct you can scatter some of his dry food
    in the safe areas of your garden to encourage him to seek it out. Puzzle feeders and
    dry food placed in toilet rolls will also provide great entertainment for your cat and can
    help distract him from his nearby feathered friends.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Cats are simply doing what cats do - hundreds of thousands of years of evolution and instinct can't be undone by a couple of decades of water guns. Yes, it's upsetting to experience first hand, but then nature's a b*tch in this regard. By developing the countryside into housing we have removed a number of natural predators who might have had the nest anyway (but sight unseen) but introduced 'domestic' predators. If the birds want to survive and continue their lineage they'll learn to nest elsewhere (in fact there will be numerous other nests that have survived that you didn't witness).

We don't have cats now but when we did they were fairly successful hunters. We had all sorts brought in - mostly by the spayed female: frogs/toads, mice, birds, a slow worm and once a bat (alive)... The neutered male was more a gift-bringer, usually bringing in plants: daffodils, twigs, water lillies and once some spring onions.

Cats are predators, small birds are prey - it is how it is. Sounds uncaring but is realism.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

This pdf from cat protection charity gives some good advice:
https://www.cats.org.uk/uploads/documents/The_Cat_Mag_extracts/Harmony_in_the_garden.pdf

• The first step to reducing predation is to keep your cat indoors at night
    when birds and small mammals are at their most vulnerable.
  • It is preferable that they remain indoors at least an hour before sunset and an hour after
    sunrise to allow nocturnal mammals to retreat home and for birds to feed.
  • Giving these cats a collar with a bell to wear will help save birds but, for the safety of the cat, make
    sure that it is a quick-release collar that snaps open.
  • RSPB states that a correctly fitted collar and bell can reduce cat predation by a third or
    more.
  • Another use of bells could be to tie some to the branches of your hedges
    or along the tops of fences, giving an extra warning to birds and wildlife of a stealthy
    feline approach.
  • To allow for your cat’s natural hunting instinct you can scatter some of his dry food
    in the safe areas of your garden to encourage him to seek it out. Puzzle feeders and
    dry food placed in toilet rolls will also provide great entertainment for your cat and can
    help distract him from his nearby feathered friends.

only good advice if it's your cat though.

Jody

Stubborn git
Would we be as accepting if a Staffie was ripping the local wildlife to pieces? "Swan mauled by dog". There would be uproar.

A cat is a domesticated animal.

Watching a fledgling get killed by next doors moggy the first time it's feet touched the floor grates with me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Owners can do stuff - we used to keep out cat's in at night - more for issues with foxes TBH. Look people let their dog's crap everywhere, and I don't see that getting better.

Alex321

Veteran
It was quite upsetting to see that the baby blackbirds in our garden have been killed by the cats, yet again. With the large cat ownership in the UK, it would be good if the owners took more responsibility for their pet.
Legally, cats class as wild animals in that respect. "Owners" are not expected to be able to control them or have any responsibility fro what they do.

You can be sued for damage caused by a dog if you don't control it, but not for a cat.

Jody

Stubborn git
Owners can do stuff - we used to keep out cat's in at night - more for issues with foxes TBH. Look people let their dog's crap everywhere, and I don't see that getting better.

Dogs (and lazy owners) are a separate issue.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
This subject does grate on me , I can’t think of any other pet that is allowed to crap where it wants in neighbours garden and kill pond fish , birds etc and the owner can just turn round and say “ well that’s just what cats do “
I have a dog that I walk , clear up after
And make sure it’s not a pain for anyone else . I like my garden and if I wanted cat mess in it I would get a cat
Really think cat laws ought to be updated , if you can’t look after it enough to respect others then you shouldn’t have one - nothing says you can’t keep indoors and walk on a lead - problem solved

Alex321

Veteran
Really think cat laws ought to be updated , if you can’t look after it enough to respect others then you shouldn’t have one - nothing says you can’t keep indoors and walk on a lead - problem solved

You've obviously never "owned" a cat. That isn't how they work.

Yes, you can keep them indoors, though it isn't ideal for the cat..

But it is a VERY rare cat that would accept being walked on a lead - you really can't train them the way you can a dog.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I sympathise. I love birds but I also love cats so that's been a tricky balancing act over the years. My own cat wasn't all that prolific, I'd try to disrupt her stalking and she only used to manage to succesfully grab the odd fledgling, maybe one a year. But the blackbirds' success rate seemed to outrun hers regardless.

She then slowed down maybe 2 years ago (old age meant she couldn't be bothered) and finally she died over the winter just gone. The upside has been that the blackbirds have even less fear of predation and they're in rude health, a literal constant presence in the garden.
20220627_150744.jpg

I don't have the answer, sorry. With so many cats those birds are onto a loser, you can only hope they select their nesting site better next time.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The trouble with blackbirds and thrushes is that they usually do hide their nesting sites really well. And they're very discreet going in and out - nests are quite hard to find, as adults won't go near their nest if they think someone's watching them, so you can't follow them to it.

But, their chicks do tend to jump out before they can fly properly. Often there are two or three of them to a brood, and it gets pretty cramped. And if there's a predator (like, say, a cat) about, they do tend to 'explode' out of and away from the nest even earlier than they otherwise might.

Once they're out, they call for mum and dad to feed them quite loudly for another couple of weeks typically, they are quite noisy. They tend to stay away from open spaces, but if you can't fly properly, that doesn't help much. This all makes them quite vulnerable to cats, or lots of other ground predators (but mainly cats).

You can try to keep cats indoors when you think there might be young blackbirds fluttering about, but that's pretty much the entire period between April and August - thrushes start early and may have three brood attempts.

All that said, they're not doing too badly, considering. https://app.bto.org/birdtrends/species.jsp?year=2019&s=blabi

Top Bottom