How do you stop Cats killing birds and small mammals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bottom line is, you can't. It's what cats do. If you choose to live with a predator in the house (and let's not forget that dogs are also predators, albeit working in a pack rather as a one-cat-band) then you have to face up to the consequences. Otherwise get something like a rabbit or a hamster.

Dogs have been domesticated for some 20,000 years, whereas a cat is a relative newcomer in evolutionary terms - about 5000 years or so. It is, under statute, classed as a wild animal, which recognises the cat's right to roam. That law also does have a comeback, insomuch that harming a cat carries the same penalties as harming other wildlife.

The only way you can stop a cat from coming into your garden and having a go at the wildlife is to cat-proof it. It works well to keep cats *in* a garden, but the various systems can equally be used to keep cats *out* of a garden. Yes, it requires some financial outlay and some DIY, but at the end of the day it's the most effective solution.

Regarding outdoor poopage... A cat generally uses its poops to mark the edge of its territory. Especially if the poops are left uncovered. The problem we have here is that humans and cats have been squeezed together, and so their territories are a) smaller than they ought to be and so the edges often (and unsurprisingly) coincide with peoples' flower beds, and b) not every cat owner is responsible enough to provide suitable toileting indoors. You'd be surprised at the number of people who think that a cat should "go" outdoors and so don't even provide a tray. Ideally, one tray per cat in the house, plus one extra.

My two tend to come back inside to use the tray, though as the girls have gotten older (13 and 10 respectively), they don't spend nearly as much time outside as they used to, nor do they go as far. They're pretty well much indoor cats between September and May / June.

Gillstay

Über Member
I have trained three cats over the years to only catch mice. Esp as the lazy things don't like the taste of shrews and are too cowardly for rats.
Every time they caught a bird I picked them up by the scruff of the neck and dipped them in a bucket of water. people always say cats are so intelligent and then contradict it by saying, but you cannot train them. You can and its not hard.

I have trained three cats over the years to only catch mice. Esp as the lazy things don't like the taste of shrews and are too cowardly for rats.

Cats don't eat shrews. Shrews are carnivorous, and to a cat's taste buds, they taste "off". As for rats, I would not call Madam Lexi cowardly - she brought me eight rats earlier this year, in the space of a few days.

Every time they caught a bird I picked them up by the scruff of the neck and dipped them in a bucket of water. people always say cats are so intelligent and then contradict it by saying, but you cannot train them. You can and its not hard.

That is quite cruel. You will find that you can achieve more by positive reinforcement (treats) when they do something right, and a hard, unblinking stare stare and then ignoring them when they do something wrong. A good hiss also works well. Making a song and dance is not the way to go.

Gillstay

Über Member
Cats don't eat shrews. Shrews are carnivorous, and to a cat's taste buds, they taste "off". As for rats, I would not call Madam Lexi cowardly - she brought me eight rats earlier this year, in the space of a few days.

That is quite cruel. You will find that you can achieve more by positive reinforcement (treats) when they do something right, and a hard, unblinking stare stare and then ignoring them when they do something wrong. A good hiss also works well. Making a song and dance is not the way to go.

That's good that it will catch rats. So few do in my experience. A quick dunk is hardly a song and a dance. And how do you know you will achieve more if you have not tried it ? As for cruel, well watching a cat play with a bird defines that, but cat people often accept that as `its in their nature and you cannot train them'.

That's good that it will catch rats. So few do in my experience. A quick dunk is hardly a song and a dance. And how do you know you will achieve more if you have not tried it ? As for cruel, well watching a cat play with a bird defines that, but cat people often accept that as `its in their nature and you cannot train them'.

If you've actually *really* sat back and watch a cat hunt, you will quickly realise that it is far from play.

What the cat is trying to do is stun its prey (the scoop and flip) so that it can achieve the killing bite without getting pecked or bitten. A cat is a solitary creature, and (in the wild) if it cannot hunt, it cannot eat. As I mentioned upthread, cats are relative newcomers to being domesticated, and that kind of behaviour is hard-wired. I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not saying it's wrong. It's just how it is.

I've taken a photographic sequence of one of my cats hunting a vole, and in several frames, you can actually see the vole attempting to bite her toes. There is a similar sequence in a book by Roger Tabor (one of THE eminent feline behaviourists) so it's not just me. A bird's beak and claws could do equal damage to a cat's eyes.

I would not dunk either of my cats in a bucket as punishment, as it would likely break the trust and relationship that I have with them. Mine are trained to the extent that they can walk on a lead and harness and respond to direct commands. But it is a two-way street, and you only get out what you put in.

FWIW, I have owned cats for nearly thirty years, and am a judge at shows.

DRM

Guru
All cats are predators by nature, even old cats. If a small, flightless, helpless, baby bird flutters nearby the cat, the cat will pounce upon the baby bird repeatedly, until the cat eventually stops the baby bird from moving, then the baby bird is probably dead.

Blackbird fledglings spend a week on the ground before they can fly, this is when most are killed. 😢

She’s actually very young, and the hunting instinct is quite strong, but she’s finding it difficult to sneak up as she has a bell on her collar, as well as a tag with her actual owners details, she’s our neighbours cat, but likes to visit us , a lot, she’s quite an adorable little thing, the trouble is the ancient Egyptians worshipped them as gods, it’s another instinct that hasn’t been forgotten!

Slick

Guru
Would you recommended a Solar Cat Repeller, than is inaudible to humans?

I've been reading very mixed reviews about them, so I'm undecided which to buy.

Cracking things, and they confuse the hell out of children as they can hear it but their parents don't believe them as they can't. :okay:

Slick

Guru
If you've actually *really* sat back and watch a cat hunt, you will quickly realise that it is far from play.

What the cat is trying to do is stun its prey (the scoop and flip) so that it can achieve the killing bite without getting pecked or bitten. A cat is a solitary creature, and (in the wild) if it cannot hunt, it cannot eat. As I mentioned upthread, cats are relative newcomers to being domesticated, and that kind of behaviour is hard-wired. I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not saying it's wrong. It's just how it is.

I've taken a photographic sequence of one of my cats hunting a vole, and in several frames, you can actually see the vole attempting to bite her toes. There is a similar sequence in a book by Roger Tabor (one of THE eminent feline behaviourists) so it's not just me. A bird's beak and claws could do equal damage to a cat's eyes.

I would not dunk either of my cats in a bucket as punishment, as it would likely break the trust and relationship that I have with them. Mine are trained to the extent that they can walk on a lead and harness and respond to direct commands. But it is a two-way street, and you only get out what you put in.

FWIW, I have owned cats for nearly thirty years, and am a judge at shows.

:okay:

I had neighbours who had bells on their cats and later I understood why. The rest did not have it. Sense of ignorance and maybe entitlement. I never could never understand why the birds were less important when the cats were fed well by their owners with the latest the supermarkets had to offer.

Even if the bell (or the double bell) did only work 30% of the time, it showed that owners did care. A lot of respect for them.

Slick

Guru
I'd like to know how much wildlife is killed by cars annually in the UK? I'm forever seeing dead birds, foxes, squirrels on the roads around here
(and that's just for starters in terms of humans decimating wildlife :sad: )
Ever since the joy of seeing wildlife in our city centres during lockdown, the road kill on my commute seems to have exploded. I know we are unlikely to ever see it again, but its really terrible that we don't seem to have learned one single lesson from the experience. I watched in delight a roe bring up its young, only to see them all end up as road kill eventually. The picture below is mum's second attempt at family life after losing 12 chicks earlier this year but she still brings her now quite big chicks over to me thrice a day to get fed, but I'm in the horrors that one day they will get flattened by a speeding motorist.
IMG-20220629-WA0002.jpeg

Top Bottom