How do you stop innertubes nipping where valve is ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeyw

Guys,

Whilst fixing a puncture i noticed the width of the innertube where the valve is is too wide to allow the tyre to sit between it and the rim thus creating a poor fit and a bulge in this area. At best it's uneven at worst another puncturte waiting to happen where it nips.

Is this a common problem ? - any way to stop this happening ?

Is the tyre the wrong size ? - it's the size ribble sent with the bike.

dc604c57-c262-4d6d-a65d-ec745e2ee49f_zps9c3ed5af.jpg

TIA,
Mike.

Before inflating the tire, but after seating the tire on the rim, I push on value, pushing the tube up into the tire and away from the rim. Check to see if the tire is being pinched, inflate the tube and then screw the lock nut on the valve.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Are you using the correct size tube for your tyre size, and are you checking the tube is sitting within the confines of the tyre before you continue to pump it up

Edit: I also push the valve into the rim to ensure it's free and not trapped before pumping.

OP
OP
M

mikeyw

Tyre size 700 x 23C - tube is contitube race 28 (770C)

Even pushing the valve cant get the flanged bit of the tube up inside the tyre.

Ern1e

Über Member
Am I correct thinking that those are wire bead tyres ? if so then I am worried that that bit sticking out may be a broken bead wire !!! plus it looks like some damage on the bead itself,if that bit is sharp please do not us the tyre get this checked out at you LBS better to be safe than sorry.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Tyre size 700 x 23C - tube is contitube race 28 (770C)

Even pushing the valve cant get the flanged bit of the tube up inside the tyre.

you need to push it harder, until it pops (you will hear it pop) into place, it shouldn't be sitting down on the rim like that, it should be inside the tyre. Or take it all off, slightly inflate the tube inside the tyre and put the tube and tyre back on.

Top Bottom