How do you use gas canisters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spire

To the point
After years of resistance, I've caved in and bought a gas canister.

The instructions don't make it clear what to do before you use it.

Do you carry the canister and the base/head unit separately?

Do you put the canister into the base part and screw it loosely into the head without piercing the canister?

Do you screw it in, pierce the canister and then rely on the lever lock?

Advice appreciated!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I put the cannister into the base but I don't pierce it. I don't know if the gas would seep out over a period of time, but I would rather not find out by the side of the road.

mondobongo

Über Member
I used to screw the canister in partially enough to stop it falling out and enough that it wouldn't pierce it, if it came to use it a couple of turns and it was good to go.

Gone back to a normal pump now, as too tight to buy canisters all the time.

KitsuneAndy

mondobongo said:
I used to screw the canister in partially enough to stop it falling out and enough that it wouldn't pierce it, if it came to use it a couple of turns and it was good to go.

Gone back to a normal pump now, as too tight to buy canisters all the time.

Are they 20gram Co2 cannisters?

How much do cycle places charge for them?

I might be able to get them in bulk xx(

killiekosmos

Veteran
Patrick Stevens said:
As a general rule, don't warm them up in a fire first.

...but being filled with C02 they'd act as a fire extinguisher xx(

OP
OP
spire

spire

To the point
mondobongo said:

This is what I'm doing.

Don't know why they don't make things clear on the instructions.

Thanks for the input guys.

spire said:
This is what I'm doing.

Don't know why they don't make things clear on the instructions.

Thanks for the input guys.

Do you think redders would fall for it if I posted something about the worrying purchase of gas equipment by a Tory sympathiser? xx(

KitsuneAndy

Fnaar said:
They've gone up in price! Still, I guess that's inflation for you! (gets coat)...:biggrin:

Still seem slightly cheaper from paintball shops than they do from cycle shops (online anyway).

They might have gone up in price due to less of a demand, it used to be that all paintballers had a supply of Co2 cannisters, but these day we all use compressed air.

Don't think I want to use my air bottle to inflate my tyres though :biggrin:

OP
OP
spire

spire

To the point
When I bought the canister the LBS said it should only be used for emergencies and you should let the gas out when you got home - apparently CO2 rots the tubes - have you heard this?

purpleR

Guru
This is a guess (and a memory from chemistry class) but CO2 dissolves in water very easily, and the result is carbonic acid (a weak acid, so more like vinegar than sulphuric acid), so if there's already moisture in your tubes, it will become acidic moisture.

Dunno how fast this would rot your tyres though.

Top Bottom