How does my phone step counter work?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Julia9054, 13 Feb 2019 at 14:40.

1. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

i have accidentally activated the fitness tracker app on my phone and was wondering how the step counter worked.
    Does it detect side to side motion and assume walking and estimate steps (my phone is generally in a handbag rather than a pocket) or is it using GPS to measure distance travelled and estimating average step count from that.
    All it does is nag me. I can't have my phone on me at work so it doesn't count me walking round my lab - I rarely sit down - and works only intermittently when I am cycling. On Sunday, I went for a 2 hour bike ride (phone in pocket, not handbag!) it told me I had been for a 20 minute walk!

2. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

Modern life is stressful, woman up and get on with it:angry:.

:smile:

3. Old jon

Old jon Veteran

I have just spent thirty minutes looking.

Happily without one.

4. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Likely just detecting motion through its accelerometers. Does the tracker have a website with FAQs?

Jody likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

Never thought of looking on app website. Having done that it appears that it is indeed detecting motion through accelerometers and not using gps. I guess then that cycling is too smooth a motion to appear to be steps most of the time but not all of the time hence a 2hr bike ride recorded as 20 mins of walking.
    It comes built in with my phone. Having accidentally activated it, I now need to look into how I deactivate it!

6. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

I think, just close the app like you would close a computer program.
    You could also uninstalled from the apps settings menu, but you might want to use it again in the future.

7. Jody

Jody Gold member

Is it a Samsung?

8. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Careful if it's a Huawei it could be spying on you and sending the data back to China.

classic33 likes this.
  9. postman

postman Legendary Member

View: https://youtu.be/wfvJS4UO7xI

10. It works on a solid state ‘MEMS’ ( Micro electro-mechanical systems ) inertial accelerometer in the phone. If it detects an acceleration, then a stop, that’s a ‘step’.

11. Shortandcrisp

Shortandcrisp Senior Member

I use an iPhone to record on Strava on the bike. 50 miles on the bike normally results in me having walked about 6-7 miles according to the health data. So more than enough exercise for one day!

12. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

It takes a reading of the distance from the top of your head to three geo-stationary GPS satellites, thereby detecting each step as your head bobs up and down as you walk. If you "glide", the satellites won't detect any steps. Simple.

:whistle:

classic33 likes this.
  13. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Only works if you are a pigeon.

swee'pea99 and slowmotion like this.
  14. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Why's a pigeon need a smartphone for triangulation?

15. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

carrier-pigeons.png

classic33 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice