How does my phone step counter work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
No idea but when we were involved in a fitness campaign at work we all wore a dedicated step counter. It did register something while cycling but there was a conversion factor they applied to allow for each mile cycled. With cycling to/from work & and a walk at lunchtime I was way ahead of the recommended 10,000 steps per day.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Careful if it's a Huawei it could be spying on you and sending the data back to China.
There's a new Geordie phone coming out, called the 'Howaay; :laugh:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
AFAIK only 5 Steps

upload_2019-2-14_20-19-40.jpeg

The microphone in the phone is permanently on, and is listening out for your footsteps. It counts them.
The clever part is that it can tell, through an algorithm, when you are walking in slippers, socks or even bare feet, and adds those steps into the daily count, too.
I read that the difficult part for the makers was getting the phone to continue counting the correct number of steps, whilst the phone was being used to take or make calls at the same time as the user was walking. They solved it with some sort of nanotech crystal on the phone's motherboard, that splits the signal from the microphone into two.

Top Bottom