How does someone become a professional ie paid cyclist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:eek:Every club I’ve ever been involved with wants more members purely for the good of promoting cycling for its own sake. Whether any of the younger members develop to elite level is completely irrelevant.
Isn't that the point that I am making. If members to believe that their children can be trained without telling them that base level physiological test should be the first spathway for elite competitive cycling. It's a numbers game so the club's main goal is achieved.

I am addressing comments that you need contacts to progress to pro levels. Which is not case. One's genetic makeup for cycling makes a lot of difference compared to some sports.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Isn't one answer to the original question "Deliveroo"?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I note the thread title says "professional, i.e. paid". One does not necessarily follow the other. Professional cyclists aren't necessarily paid, particularly if they are female.

Just a few days ago the Cyclists' Alliance released results of a survey of professional womens' cycling, one of the headlines of which was

The number of professional riders with “no salary” has increased from 17% in 2018 to 34% in 2021.

https://cyclistsalliance.org/2021/07/the-cyclists-alliance-2021-rider-survey-results-revealed/

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That’s a thought, perhaps introduce a Veterans Tour with medals in each age category, 1st over 70 up Alpe D’Huez for example 😉
Veteran's sports are pretty keenly contested. A friend of mine who does Tri and Duathlon has competed for GB in the Worlds at Duathlon (60+) and he's eyeing up the day when he moves up to the next age group and the competition gets easier.

I imagine, but don't know, that vets cycling is similarly competitive. You occasionally read of some old geezer getting busted for doping.

Top Bottom