How does this sound? (possible car free commuter)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
I'm 20, starting uni in September. I have a car at the minute, costing me like £145 a month. I've probably spent about £900 on keeping it in good shape and running it well too - nothing irrational, just repairs and service. It's expensive. I also had a claim, so my insurance is going to be sky high for another few years.

I have this idea about going car free, which is essentially to give it to my mum. She has had car problems and isn't working so I'd be doing her a favour giving her the car which is well serviced and working order. But I'd still have access to it occasionally and be under her insurance policy on it.

I wouldn't have to pay Road Tax and at best I'd only need to add a little to servicing every so often, either way as time goes on I'll get more accustomed to cycling and the car will become 'less mine', that's one of the main purposes of this plan. Cycling. Going slightly more car free, saving money, and almost phasing out the car but not losing my investment or complete access to this mad car-requirement world.

Cycling would be how I commute. I'd be in uni 3 days per week, for around 3 hours at a time. The distance from my home to uni is about 8 miles and theres only hills on the return journey. After 2 miles, there is a good flat cycle path at the edge of a river. I cycle this maybe once or twice every fortnight now as a leisurely ride, some times easier than others. Mostly in good weather - though I have been caught in heavy showers, still never put me off completely.

People on CycleChat have already told me because I'm 20 and have no problems I should be able to cycle 14 miles like nothing in not very long. I'm aware that with the right, maybe even costly gear I can cope with the rain, I remember being stuck in a shower thinking "I feel warm. If only I had a waterproof jacket and not a big coat". I do enjoy cycling and this would give it a bit of purpose, my favourite cycling is utility and commuting. I'd rather read about how peoples commutes went than read about winners of cycling races etc.

In reality, people tell me its stupid: "you need a car" , "it's a step back like being at school, driving your parents car"...

To me, I want to save money, enjoy a hobby, not lose my investment in the car completely all the same..

Your thoughts,
cycle_buy

I'm 48, & can do a 28 mile each way commute with an 8 hr day in between. You will need a good lock for your bike, & a few bits and pieces, like a decent rucksack or a pannier for your uni stuff. There are plenty of good commuter jackets & trousers out there.
Go for it, you will feel a lot better for it, trust me.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I used to commute 5 miles each way, 3 times a week by bike. I cycled 8 miles or so, to feed my pony first. I was about 20 or so then. Once you get through the first couple of weeks, it will be a breeze. Take no notice about what your pals say, they are probably miffed that the car is going, especially if you give them lifts to places.
You are starting commuting at a good time, you will be well used to to the commute by winter

Seevio

Guru
If there are shower facilities at your destination or you are thick skinned enough to be known as Mr McSmelly then it's a no brainer.

If there are only hills on the return journey, maybe you could avoid them by riding back on the same route you took on the inwards journey. :smile:

Reactions: PBB

sarahale

Über Member
4 years ago (aged 22) I decided to get rid of my car and just cycle everywhere instead to save myself some money. I haven't looked back!!

I was already cycling the commute a few days a week to get my fitness up and because I enjoyed it. Everyone told me I would not manage and it was a stupid idea. Now I commute 14 miles a day 6/7 days a week and I love it, I'm far healthier and happier and I have saved myself so much money. And I've never once been called smelly re the above post. Oh and I am still carless.

It's hard sometimes in winter so if I could afford to I would probably like to have the option of a car for the odd day when the weather is really bad or when I don't feel great.

Of course I fully support your idea except your comment about money.
We all must cycle not because we can not afford to run a car.
I am getting late for my morning ride, will write later when I come back.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'm 20, starting uni in September. I have a car at the minute, costing me like £145 a month. I've probably spent about £900 on keeping it in good shape and running it well too - nothing irrational, just repairs and service. It's expensive. I also had a claim, so my insurance is going to be sky high for another few years.

I have this idea about going car free, which is essentially to give it to my mum. She has had car problems and isn't working so I'd be doing her a favour giving her the car which is well serviced and working order. But I'd still have access to it occasionally and be under her insurance policy on it.

I wouldn't have to pay Road Tax and at best I'd only need to add a little to servicing every so often, either way as time goes on I'll get more accustomed to cycling and the car will become 'less mine', that's one of the main purposes of this plan. Cycling. Going slightly more car free, saving money, and almost phasing out the car but not losing my investment or complete access to this mad car-requirement world.

Cycling would be how I commute. I'd be in uni 3 days per week, for around 3 hours at a time. The distance from my home to uni is about 8 miles and theres only hills on the return journey. After 2 miles, there is a good flat cycle path at the edge of a river. I cycle this maybe once or twice every fortnight now as a leisurely ride, some times easier than others. Mostly in good weather - though I have been caught in heavy showers, still never put me off completely.

People on CycleChat have already told me because I'm 20 and have no problems I should be able to cycle 14 miles like nothing in not very long. I'm aware that with the right, maybe even costly gear I can cope with the rain, I remember being stuck in a shower thinking "I feel warm. If only I had a waterproof jacket and not a big coat". I do enjoy cycling and this would give it a bit of purpose, my favourite cycling is utility and commuting. I'd rather read about how peoples commutes went than read about winners of cycling races etc.

In reality, people tell me its stupid: "you need a car" , "it's a step back like being at school, driving your parents car"...

To me, I want to save money, enjoy a hobby, not lose my investment in the car completely all the same..

Your thoughts,
cycle_buy
My experience was similar but 21 years later and I was 18 stone when I started commuting 20 miles each way minimum (placements were further). So here's a few lessons learned.
1. Don't bother with the showering malarkey at uni, as long as you shower the night before or morning before you set off nobody will notice. I used to have a squirt of deodorant when I arrived after I washed my face.
2. Get a locker sorted pronto, ask the building supervisor (why carry shoot you can leave at uni)
3. Get to be on friendly terms with the building supervisor and he may tell secret places to dry your clothes on wet commutes.
4. Cragg Hopper cargo pants are a commuters dream with wool / bamboo undies, saves having to lug in clothes and keeps the tackle from being sweaty and a bacteria holiday home.
5. Food, you'll need to be prepared for the first few months whilst your body adjusts, I lost 4 stone in 5 months despite eating 4000 calories.
6. Don't be surprised if you sleep less at first, just another sign of the body adjusting.
7. Enjoy it, even the rough weather.
8. Accept you'll be wet on any day, whether that's sweat or rain, don't worry it all dries (eventually).
9. As mentioned above, a good lock is essential and either remove front wheel and lock to frame or get pit locks. Uni's are well known scrote bag/ bag rats bike theft havens. Believe me when I say no one will give a fark if they see your bike being nicked.
10. Kindle for your books and research papers, books and paper is farking heavy, kindles aren't.

I know your's is a shorter commute but I think all the points above will help.

Good luck.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If it's a university they're likely to have bike facilities; mine has for students and staff. Yours may have a bike cage, workshop, lockers, showers, etc. It's a matter of asking.

My commute is 12+ miles each way and it's fine.

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
This is my commuting bike, it's a Halfords job Raleigh Edale. Thinking of getting a pannier rack and bag for it. So far I enjoy it. It's definitely possible to cycle this in IMO, I can do it already in about 50 minutes and sometimes its a struggle, others its easier.

Attachments

• 13394083_1221894501156323_6867785521406096678_n.jpg
    13394083_1221894501156323_6867785521406096678_n.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 41

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Your thoughts,
cycle_buy

My experience was similar but 21 years later and I was 18 stone when I started commuting 20 miles each way minimum (placements were further). So here's a few lessons learned.
1. Don't bother with the showering malarkey at uni, as long as you shower the night before or morning before you set off nobody will notice. I used to have a squirt of deodorant when I arrived after I washed my face.
2. Get a locker sorted pronto, ask the building supervisor (why carry shoot you can leave at uni)
3. Get to be on friendly terms with the building supervisor and he may tell secret places to dry your clothes on wet commutes.
4. Cragg Hopper cargo pants are a commuters dream with wool / bamboo undies, saves having to lug in clothes and keeps the tackle from being sweaty and a bacteria holiday home.
5. Food, you'll need to be prepared for the first few months whilst your body adjusts, I lost 4 stone in 5 months despite eating 4000 calories.
6. Don't be surprised if you sleep less at first, just another sign of the body adjusting.
7. Enjoy it, even the rough weather.
8. Accept you'll be wet on any day, whether that's sweat or rain, don't worry it all dries (eventually).
9. As mentioned above, a good lock is essential and either remove front wheel and lock to frame or get pit locks. Uni's are well known scrote bag/ bag rats bike theft havens. Believe me when I say no one will give a fark if they see your bike being nicked.
10. Kindle for your books and research papers, books and paper is farking heavy, kindles aren't.

I know your's is a shorter commute but I think all the points above will help.

Good luck.

Some excellent advice here.

Two points from me.

One. I am typing this from a coffee shop, I rode here on my single speed, about 7 miles. No shower, no change of clothes...am sat in a pair of jeans and a tee shirt. If you can avoid massive hills and ride at a gentle pace (10Mph), you should consider a single speed (its more "uni" than a road bike) and you most likely can step off and walk straight to lectures. Plus an ss will be almost maintainence free, which may appeal.

Two
You are 20 and may regret not building up some no claims history, since your claim. Can you consider some form of super cheap, super restrictive, limited mileage, curfewed, black boxed, third party cover...just to build up the ncb in case your circumstances change in a few years
and you need a car.

As other have said, 8miles is no problem, my commute is 12-20 and I often don't need a shower on the return ride if I take it really easy

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
If it's a university they're likely to have bike facilities; mine has for students and staff. Yours may have a bike cage, workshop, lockers, showers, etc. It's a matter of asking.

My commute is 12+ miles each way and it's fine.
And it doesn't take long for bag heads to work out how to get in. Don't take it for granted that if it's in a shed it's safe. A few colleagues have had wheels, saddles and bikes nicked through feeling secure in a shed and have been lackadaisical in regards to locking up.

Top Bottom