How does this sound? (possible car free commuter)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
I'm going to mention the whole idea to my parents this week.

It's a little scary to me, and a bit shocking to them probably, that I've spent so much money over the past year on the car - it's in great shape - and now I'm essentially giving it to my mum! Ironically, it's the cost of keeping it in great condition as well as moderate usage that is very much why I am willing to give it up.

The biggest motivator being that well, as much as I didn't mind investing in the car and learning to fix it, it just struck me.. well it's 10 years old, this money will sooner or later come to nothing when rust or something takes its grip. Maybe I'd be better investing my money and time into myself - fitness, a hobby, experiencing the outdoors etc..

People tell me two things mostly;-

- you wont want to cycle in that weather, you need a car

or

- you'll be killed on that main road!!!

In around August when my car insurance is up, that'd be a good time I reckon to hand it over to the mother. I might or might not become a named driver. Until August, I will use it to get to my work experience placement (ends July) and try to do as many of (all?!) my personal journeys as much as possible, pretending the car isn't an option.

Once it's handed over.. I guess that's it, I'd not be able to demand it back. That'd be it. As one of you said, it's the bike or a very inconvenient, slow and expensive bus service (about £3.50 in and again for out).. So I need to be damn sure 1) I can do it. 2) I want to do it. 3) I will enjoy it. Things I already am confident about!

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

Ooh, I should think an hour will be enough for 8 miles. You'll get faster as you get fitter.

You're starting out in the good weather too so that'll help. It might be a bit harder in the winter when it's wet and windy but you'll be used to the distance by then.

This weather is phenomenal right now. Although I am neutral to more 'extreme' rain and winds, for practice now before the Winter. I've walked half the journey when the car broke down last December twice!

As a student, I rode to UWE in Frenchay, from St Andrews (in Bristol not Scotland!!) and then from Redland, daily.

I used to do it on a steel touring-style bike and wore a leather biker jacket in the winter (!) :becool: which I still possess much to my children's amusement.

I have no memories of being freezing cold or soaked through although I must have cycled through snow and rain and frosty weather etc. 2 pairs of gloves came in handy. I think there was a slow & expensive bus option in case it got really awful.

The distances sound fine to me. They've now built a cycle path along most of my route from St Andrews so the young'uns today have it easy ;)

I'm in 'semi-rural' Northern Ireland, possibly very similar in terms of roads to Scotland but smaller. There is a cycle path on around 60% of my journey now too. I'm slowly getting more used to the A roads and B roads.

Sports Direct aren't too bad for walking or hiking shoes that will do well for winter cycling, good grippy thick soles that will be comfy and work well on regular pedals and plenty waterproof enough to cope without overshoes - more stuff to faff with at either end - and you can wander round all day in them easily too.

Hi Viz - consider reflective slap bands on your wrists as indicators etc and pedal reflectors or ankle bands if you have unhelpful pedals as well as something on your body. For your body, I would suggest you consider a Sam Browne belt as they are easy to use with any other garment you wish, compact when not in use and really do scream out 'cyclist' far more uniquely than the standard grey H builders vest type slab of yellow jacket.

Great list of advice from @just_fixed

Sports Direct is where I plan to buy a lot of gear. Cheap to start out with, and as time goes on and I decide I need..say a better jacket or shoes, I can slowly do my research based on experience and improve gradually. I started another thread to get people discussing their experiences so far :-)

vickster

Legendary Member
Sports direct waterproofs will be wetter inside than out in all but the most torrential rain. A good waterproof is worth the investment. Altura night vision are IMO great for winter, warm and waterproof

For 8 miles commuting, get some goterex walking boots unless desperate to go clipless

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sports direct waterproofs will be wetter inside than out in all but the most torrential rain. A good waterproof is worth the investment. Altura night vision are IMO great for winter, warm and waterproof
And ugly as sin and too hot for summer!

Maybe not Sports Dreck, but most walking waterproofs tend be OK for cycling if you're not hammering it or easily sweaty and they tend to be cheaper and better looking as long as you get them long enough at the back.

Capes are another option but I've not used one for years since getting a packable walking waterproof.

What I found in 8 years of daily commuting is that the weather is seldom as bad once you're out in it than it looks from inside a warm, dry house. Keep your extremities as warm and dry as possible and you can survive just about anything except gale force winds.
+1

I couldn't find my waterproof trousers or this last winter - and didn't bother looking them out in the end, because it was so rare that I ever got soaked on my way to work. Maybe half a dozen times through the winter?

D

Deleted member 1258

Some excellent advice here.

You are 20 and may regret not building up some no claims history, since your claim. Can you consider some form of super cheap, super restrictive, limited mileage, curfewed, black boxed, third party cover...just to build up the ncb in case your circumstances change in a few years
and you need a car.

As other have said, 8miles is no problem, my commute is 12-20 and I often don't need a shower on the return ride if I take it really easy

The insurance was what I fell over when I went back to owning a car again. I was car free for over thirty years, when I brought my own car again I was treated as a new driver as I had no driving history, it was costing me fifty eight quid a month for a Ford KA. My present car, a Hyundai Getz costs me thirty two quid a month.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm going to mention the whole idea to my parents this week.

It's a little scary to me, and a bit shocking to them probably, that I've spent so much money over the past year on the car - it's in great shape - and now I'm essentially giving it to my mum! Ironically, it's the cost of keeping it in great condition as well as moderate usage that is very much why I am willing to give it up.

The biggest motivator being that well, as much as I didn't mind investing in the car and learning to fix it, it just struck me.. well it's 10 years old, this money will sooner or later come to nothing when rust or something takes its grip. Maybe I'd be better investing my money and time into myself - fitness, a hobby, experiencing the outdoors etc..

People tell me two things mostly;-

- you wont want to cycle in that weather, you need a car

or

- you'll be killed on that main road!!!

In around August when my car insurance is up, that'd be a good time I reckon to hand it over to the mother. I might or might not become a named driver. Until August, I will use it to get to my work experience placement (ends July) and try to do as many of (all?!) my personal journeys as much as possible, pretending the car isn't an option.

Once it's handed over.. I guess that's it, I'd not be able to demand it back. That'd be it. As one of you said, it's the bike or a very inconvenient, slow and expensive bus service (about £3.50 in and again for out).. So I need to be damn sure 1) I can do it. 2) I want to do it. 3) I will enjoy it. Things I already am confident about!
Sounds like you are well on your way to Making it happen.

Why not start now and see how it goes, before you take the plunge on the car. Its worth buying a £3-400 bike to get cracking.

Also being a named driver will not always maintain an NCB...keep that in mind.

Take a look at our guide to new commuters, its in the commute section, too of the first page. It will help answer all those who say that cycling will kill you. And then consider that in about 3 weeks of non cycling, my diastolic heart rate rises by about 10 spots...that's more likely to kill me than riding safely on city roads...like millions of other "not dead " cyclists.

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

Sounds like you are well on your way to Making it happen.

Why not start now and see how it goes, before you take the plunge on the car. Its worth buying a £3-400 bike to get cracking.

Also being a named driver will not always maintain an NCB...keep that in mind.

Take a look at our guide to new commuters, its in the commute section, too of the first page. It will help answer all those who say that cycling will kill you. And then consider that in about 3 weeks of non cycling, my diastolic heart rate rises by about 10 spots...that's more likely to kill me than riding safely on city roads...like millions of other "not dead " cyclists.

Already lost my no claims bonus (that I would have had now in August when its over) from the shitty car I owned then rolling into another one in a petrol station four court.. £1060 for the claim. Nobody was even in their car. Completely my fault and I blame nobody but myself, but I offered to pay the price I got from their dealer for repair.. Definitely screwed up. I'm paying £1600 a year in total now for the 1.2 Fiat Panda I have in my picture. This will go down to £1200 with a bit of luck in August should I wish to continue it on. FYI back in August last year it was £998 .. :-/

It's kind of to save money - even to buy a nice car after uni - or a house deposit , or whatever basically. I see so many on here who can't go car free even though they wish they had, due to kids / work etc. This could by my only few years where I can truly depend on myself and my bike. Then I can get back into cars, when I have the money to be into them the way I want to be now.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
The insurance was what I fell over when I went back to owning a car again. I was car free for over thirty years, when I brought my own car again I was treated as a new driver as I had no driving history, it was costing me fifty eight quid a month for a Ford KA. My present car, a Hyundai Getz costs me thirty two quid a month.
Excellent point I forgot....
Join ctc.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Already lost my no claims bonus (that I would have had now in August when its over) from the shitty car I owned then rolling into another one in a petrol station four court.. £1060 for the claim. Nobody was even in their car. Completely my fault and I blame nobody but myself, but I offered to pay the price I got from their dealer for repair.. Definitely screwed up. I'm paying £1600 a year in total now for the 1.2 Fiat Panda I have in my picture. This will go down to £1200 with a bit of luck in August should I wish to continue it on. FYI back in August last year it was £998 .. :-/

It's kind of to save money - even to buy a nice car after uni - or a house deposit , or whatever basically. I see so many on here who can't go car free even though they wish they had, due to kids / work etc. This could by my only few years where I can truly depend on myself and my bike. Then I can get back into cars, when I have the money to be into them the way I want to be now.
Absolutely.

but to be clear, I'm not suggesting keeping insurance so that you can drive..the opposite in fact. I'm suggesting you maintain some form of insurance (kinda in the background), so that if you do ever choose to drive again, you wont have to start again with zero NCB. If you can find a limited mileage, policy that curfews you from driving at night, and is a low level of cover like 3rd party, then this might be cheap enough to run in the background for a few years...it would have to be very cheap though or else a few years of premiums could work out more expensive than just starting a new policy in a few years time with a massive premium..

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

Absolutely.

but to be clear, I'm not suggesting keeping insurance so that you can drive..the opposite in fact. I'm suggesting you maintain some form of insurance (kinda in the background), so that if you do ever choose to drive again, you wont have to start again with zero NCB. If you can find a limited mileage, policy that curfews you from driving at night, and is a low level of cover like 3rd party, then this might be cheap enough to run in the background for a few years...it would have to be very cheap though or else a few years of premiums could work out more expensive than just starting a new policy in a few years time with a massive premium..

Thanks for that. It's a very good point. It cant possibly go up much more than my current quotes (between £1,000 - £1,200), but only down due to age and future status such as being employed etc. So if I ever contemplate getting a car again I'll be 'prepared' to pay the amount in my head now as it's the worst case scenario hopefully. I do plan on getting a car again maybe in 2-3 years as my experience year in Uni will likely mean turning up with a suit to a professional workplace daily. Unless I can find an accountants office where employees cycle themselves and 'get it' but its one of those things I wont know / cant really ask about prior to it lol

I was once told by an insurance company each car can only have one policy attached to it.. which stops me from getting a background policy on the car when I hand it to my mum as then my only option it to under her name (or whoever owns the car if not her) :-/ Damn insurance. I reckon insurance is one of the best reasons for people my age to cycle commute.

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

So I've come up with a good way to test my motivation, abilities, times and speeds for commuting...

When I finish my work placement in 5.5 weeks... and I am then very much unemployed until September 30th when university begins, I'll essentially have all the time in the world to cycle..

- Cycle to the uni and back at least three days per week at the same time not just when I feel like it or the weather suits.
- I will time myself, try different routes week-to-week (mostly variations of the same route)
- Try to eliminate all use of the car, including runs to Tesco, things like haircuts and appointments by cycling in.
- Slowly purchase cycling gear as I discover I need it.. e.g. wow it was wet today, need a jacket.. had two shopping bags today, need a pannier bag.. etc.

My insurance is up on August 23rd then I'm free. It would make sense to pass the car to my mum then, or keep it at a relative who has private land. I can cancel my tax and stop paying insurance instead of allowing it to roll on. This will immediately save me around £12 a month and £145 a month respectively. Let alone any of the repairs that were imminent: gears were crunching, damaged synchromesh... handbrake needed fixed after some idiot welded it.. as well as around £160 a year from the service.. £50 everytime a wheel needs replaced... As scared to not have a car and as much as I'll miss it, I do feel like a financial weight is being lifted off my shoulder. I got a flat wheel in January, £40 just like that went to the car. I got a flat on my bike two weeks ago and it cost me £10 for four tubes.. of which are sitting there since my puncture repair (kit: £4) has held!

So yeah, right now nobody thinks I'm wise for getting rid of the car to depend on a humble bicycle but I'm still feeling the car free lifestyle.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So I've come up with a good way to test my motivation, abilities, times and speeds for commuting...

When I finish my work placement in 5.5 weeks... and I am then very much unemployed until September 30th when university begins, I'll essentially have all the time in the world to cycle..

- Cycle to the uni and back at least three days per week at the same time not just when I feel like it or the weather suits.
- I will time myself, try different routes week-to-week (mostly variations of the same route)
- Try to eliminate all use of the car, including runs to Tesco, things like haircuts and appointments by cycling in.
- Slowly purchase cycling gear as I discover I need it.. e.g. wow it was wet today, need a jacket.. had two shopping bags today, need a pannier bag.. etc.

My insurance is up on August 23rd then I'm free. It would make sense to pass the car to my mum then, or keep it at a relative who has private land. I can cancel my tax and stop paying insurance instead of allowing it to roll on. This will immediately save me around £12 a month and £145 a month respectively. Let alone any of the repairs that were imminent: gears were crunching, damaged synchromesh... handbrake needed fixed after some idiot welded it.. as well as around £160 a year from the service.. £50 everytime a wheel needs replaced... As scared to not have a car and as much as I'll miss it, I do feel like a financial weight is being lifted off my shoulder. I got a flat wheel in January, £40 just like that went to the car. I got a flat on my bike two weeks ago and it cost me £10 for four tubes.. of which are sitting there since my puncture repair (kit: £4) has held!

So yeah, right now nobody thinks I'm wise for getting rid of the car to depend on a humble bicycle but I'm still feeling the car free lifestyle.

Good plan.

In your earlier point about finding work that accommodates cyclists. In London there are (finally after a few years of waiting for them to catch up) more and more firms who appreciate that the millennial talent (under 30"s) choose who to work with by ranking factors other than salary and role. They value good staff welfare and showers, lockers and bike store are now becoming far more popular.

Never be afraid to ask in an interview what "staff welfare" provisions the firm offers. Its a vanilla question that doesn't brand you as having any particular interest (you never know the interviewer may hate cyclists)

One last thing, if you are concerned with giving up a car, consider a scooter for longer/swift journeys where you cannot arrive sweaty or flushed.

Ps, I used to drive a huge range rover into work every day. I now come in by pushbike or vespa.

Top Bottom