How does this sound? (possible car free commuter)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Sounds to me like you've got a wise head, screwed the right way round on your shoulders! Go for it.
I bet op is doing a technical degree. (please be right otherwise this'll so backfire on me!)

Gert Lush

You could easily do the commute. Give it a try and see how you get on.

I feel sorry for you insurance wise. With your claim it'll sky rocket unfortunately. I'm 22 with two years no claims and have a proper struggle to get my insurance down. Most places were charging me around £80pm but I managed to get one at £47pm. It won't go down until 25 I bet.

Gert Lush

Why not stay on campus? All uni's guarantee a place for first year students......

Shaun

Super expensive compared to living at home. I stayed at home because I knew I couldn't afford it and did not want to be leaning on my parents for the extra money to make up the rent etc.

Definitely would have had a better uni experience if I had lived on campus though.

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
Studying Accountancy.

Plenty of bike locations on campus. Will buy a GOOD lock. One of those Fagghetaboutit? Ones haha

Living at home to try and save money! Don't drink or party anyway. That's what most people tend to mean by experience.

Going to price up a Pannier rack and hi-vis coat for commuting.

vickster

Legendary Member
Will buy a GOOD lock. One of those Fagghetaboutit? Ones.
Yes, or an Abus Granit, budget around £70. Plus a cable for your front wheel. The Fahg is small, so if you think you may have to be creative locking up and not just on a Sheffield stand, one of the larger sized Abus might make life simpler

Make sure the bike is insured too, ask your folks whether it can be covered on the home insurance

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
To add to what others have said - try riding the route in advance when you're not rushing to a lecture so you can work out any problem areas. If you have a locker at uni it's worth keeping spares of stuff there. I don't carry waterproofs on my commute - if it's raining in the morning I wear them. If it's raining when I come home I use the set I keep in the office.

I passed my test at 17 but didn't get a car until 26.

Combination of being a student in Oxford (everyone cycles and never had much reason to leave the city centre) and then a few years living in London where having a car is more a hindrance if anything and public transport is really good wherever you are.

I have a car now after moving to Manchester where public transport both within Greater Manchester and getting to other towns/cities is not so great. I mostly just use it for the occasional motorway trip back to Nottingham, although I appreciate it is useful when you need to carry stuff or get somewhere in the evenings without being sweaty.

Commute 5 days a week on my bike about 20 miles return. Sometimes I feel like I can't be bothered but that feeling usually subsides after a few minutes on the bike. Sometimes the weather can be utterly miserable and some motorists can be absolute twats but it's worth not sitting in a metal box in traffic and having to pay for fuel and parking.

If you're going to have to sit in a lecture after an 8 mile cycle then would definitely bring something to freshen up with once you get there for the sake of your fellow students (wipes/deodorant). And would probably recommend not cycling in the clothes you intend to sit through a lecture in, especially in Summer, unless you particularly enjoy smelling your own musty odour.

For heavy rain invest in some decent waterproof overshoes. And bring a spare pair of socks with you at least if not bringing a change of clothes, nothing worse than soggy shoes and socks.

3 days a week isn't going to kill you, I say do it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I cycle to work and to meet friends for coffee etc, and don't shower (20 mile round trip), I think the secret is not going too hard on the way in, getting the layers correct (set off feeling cool/cold), and if it is warmer than you expect remove some layers. Definitely use a pannier rack rather than having a sweaty back using a rucksack. My middle child bought an iPad Mini which she seems to use in lectures, yet is small and light to transport.

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
To add to what others have said - try riding the route in advance when you're not rushing to a lecture so you can work out any problem areas. If you have a locker at uni it's worth keeping spares of stuff there. I don't carry waterproofs on my commute - if it's raining in the morning I wear them. If it's raining when I come home I use the set I keep in the office.

I actually had a go yesterday doing this route. Around 40 minutes and that was in perfect weather. I decided to take an A road I never thought I'd have the balls to do. It actually wasn't bad. I think its actually going to be my main approach now as its a mile shorter than the B road I took instead, much flatter and straighter. The B-road had a steep scary corner, I think a busier A-Road is safer and better just for being a bit more straight and flat alone?!

I think leaving an hour or so would suffice for 8, maybe even an hour and a half to begin with.

Sometimes its been much more difficult, other times easy. I've never turned back half way however...yet.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Ooh, I should think an hour will be enough for 8 miles. You'll get faster as you get fitter.

You're starting out in the good weather too so that'll help. It might be a bit harder in the winter when it's wet and windy but you'll be used to the distance by then.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
As a student, I rode to UWE in Frenchay, from St Andrews (in Bristol not Scotland!!) and then from Redland, daily.

I used to do it on a steel touring-style bike and wore a leather biker jacket in the winter (!) :becool: which I still possess much to my children's amusement.

I have no memories of being freezing cold or soaked through although I must have cycled through snow and rain and frosty weather etc. 2 pairs of gloves came in handy. I think there was a slow & expensive bus option in case it got really awful.

The distances sound fine to me. They've now built a cycle path along most of my route from St Andrews so the young'uns today have it easy ;)

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Sports Direct aren't too bad for walking or hiking shoes that will do well for winter cycling, good grippy thick soles that will be comfy and work well on regular pedals and plenty waterproof enough to cope without overshoes - more stuff to faff with at either end - and you can wander round all day in them easily too.

Hi Viz - consider reflective slap bands on your wrists as indicators etc and pedal reflectors or ankle bands if you have unhelpful pedals as well as something on your body. For your body, I would suggest you consider a Sam Browne belt as they are easy to use with any other garment you wish, compact when not in use and really do scream out 'cyclist' far more uniquely than the standard grey H builders vest type slab of yellow jacket.

Great list of advice from @just_fixed

Top Bottom