How easy are road tubulars to fit/remove

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Losidan

hi,

got chance of a roadie but it has tubs not clincher and i have never had them before....

How easy are they to remove and refit...can punctures be fixed or is it a case of binning them?

Grasen

easy as

long as you stretch them first

you can sew them if you are bored, but I think most are not that bored

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Losidan said:
thanks....not sure i know what you mean by "sew up" though
I've never used them but I imagine he means that you have to cut them open to patch the tubes, and then they'd need sewing up again. It seems a bit expensive to just throw away a perfectly good tubular tyre because of a puncture, and not very environmentally sound either.

OP
OP
L

Losidan

ColinJ said:
I've never used them but I imagine he means that you have to cut them open to patch the tubes, and then they'd need sewing up again. It seems a bit expensive to just throw away a perfectly good tubular tyre because of a puncture, and not very environmentally sound either.
very true and being a typical tight yorkshireman I can see me wanting to not got that route too!

brockers

Tons of info on the net on how to glue tubulars, but it's not a quick process however you do decide to do it. Send them to this bloke when you puncture, which might be less than you expect (unless you're so tight or skint that you want to give up an evening bodging it yourself). Personally I wouldn't bother using tubs unless you're racing on them, but I suppose that faffing around with tubs can be considered a cycling rite-of-passage.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the sewing thing is not a big deal, but, post puncture, you do need a pump with some oomph in it, or a carbon dioxide gun. The double sided tape for fixing to the rim is very good.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've got vittoria rallys on my fixed. cheap (£12 each) and with a kevar p-proof lining. quite easy to put on too.

what dell says about the tape is right, although you can't use it if you're going to ride manchester velodrome…

MartinC

Über Member
Double sided tape doesn't fix tubs as well as the hard setting shellac glue traditionally used on the track. Track racing can involve heavy acceleration and braking (if you're good enough) which may roll the tub taking you and other riders down. Because there's no need for racers to refit a tub at the trackside (roadside) then there's no advantage to tape or glue that remains tacky. The same applies when you're using tubs for alpine descents - you want hard setting glue that won't melt with braking heat.

Top Bottom