How easy is it to fix a bike puncture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I thought to mend the hole in the inner tube you use a sticker like thing and just put it over the hole?

This is recommended if it dry. If wet it can be easier to fit spare tube as fixing in wet can be harder. Get yourself the repair kit and go from there. If you’ve got A levels you are bright enough to learn how to use it. It’s just your confidence that’s lacking right now, but you’ll find it second nature after a while.

It's not difficult, you just need to get the hang of it. In this case, nothing beats practicing in the comfort of your living room until you have it down pat. The same is true for all the other little fixes that are worth learning so that you don't get stranded.

Make it a habit to never leave home without some basic tools and spares. It'll be sod's law that the day you leave them behind is the day you'll want them... I have a bar bag attached to each bike that takes the following:

1) Spare tube (or two, if you're heading out for a whole day, for instance)
2) Self-adhesive patches (decent ones, not el-cheapo)
3) Tyre levers (I like the yellow ones from Decathlon that come in a set of 3)
4) Multi-tool (Topeak Hexus X)
5) Spare quick link for the chain
6) Selection of zip ties
7) Latex gloves
8) Kitchen roll / wet wipes
9) £20 just in case...

Plus each bike has a Topeak Pocket Rocket pump on the frame. The only time I've not managed to get back home is when I crashed and called a friend for a lift.

If you are going for longer rides, then it may also be a wise choice to invest in some commuter-style tyres for peace of mind. These have increased puncture protection to varying degrees - the various ones by Schwalbe are usually a good bet. I have Schwalbe Duranos on my hybrid (which I also use for awaydays and touring) and Schwalbe Road Cruiser Plus on the MTB / winter bike.

Whiteb

Today I had a tire puncture very far from how and I didn't have a puncture repair kit and I don't know how to fix punctures, so I was forced to walk home for 2 and a bit hours as bikes aren't allowed on buses.

This has made me lose confidence as a cyclist and put me off cycling as I am afraid this will repeat and I will be even more further from home. So I thought it is about time I learn how to fix tire punctures, I looked at many tutorials online however I don't feel very confident that I will be able to repeat the procedure on my own successfully.

Punctures are generally fairly easy to fix. However, if you do not feel confident in doing this, maybe ask a friend or local bike shop to show you how to do it, and hopefully you will pick it up quickly. (May be a little harder during COVID)

I would also recommend using YouTube, there are great tutorials on there to help with general cycle repairs.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

It's not difficult, you just need to get the hang of it. In this case, nothing beats practicing in the comfort of your living room until you have it down pat. The same is true for all the other little fixes that are worth learning so that you don't get stranded.

Make it a habit to never leave home without some basic tools and spares. It'll be sod's law that the day you leave them behind is the day you'll want them... I have a bar bag attached to each bike that takes the following:

1) Spare tube (or two, if you're heading out for a whole day, for instance)
2) Self-adhesive patches (decent ones, not el-cheapo)
3) Tyre levers (I like the yellow ones from Decathlon that come in a set of 3)
4) Multi-tool (Topeak Hexus X)
5) Spare quick link for the chain
6) Selection of zip ties
7) Latex gloves
8) Kitchen roll / wet wipes
9) £20 just in case...

Plus each bike has a Topeak Pocket Rocket pump on the frame. The only time I've not managed to get back home is when I crashed and called a friend for a lift.

If you are going for longer rides, then it may also be a wise choice to invest in some commuter-style tyres for peace of mind. These have increased puncture protection to varying degrees - the various ones by Schwalbe are usually a good bet. I have Schwalbe Duranos on my hybrid (which I also use for awaydays and touring) and Schwalbe Road Cruiser Plus on the MTB / winter bike.
What would I use the zip ties for?What brand is good for self-adhesive patches?What is a spare quick link when would I need one for a chain, in what scenario?

si_c

Guru
Inner tubes are fairly easy to identify, if it's a road bike it'll usually be a 700c tyre - and there will be a marking on the tyre like 25c or 32c or whatever. Inner tubes usually come in a range of sizes like 700c 18-25 for example, whatever size your tyre is (28c for example) get a tube to match the number, if unsure go down a size - they expand as you put air in so it's not a problem.

I carry a spare inner tube to swap it out rather than trying to fix the puncture at the side of the road - it's easier to do at home later or in a cafe with a coffee. The patches I carry are just in case I get a second puncture rather than the first thing I try.

Here are a couple of good videos - watch them and then practice at home on your wheels (you don't actually need a puncture, it's more the repetition of taking your wheel off, and taking the inner tube out and putting a new one in).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O074i8xPKo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2HMwOHyfsc

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

This is recommended if it dry. If wet it can be easier to fit spare tube as fixing in wet can be harder. Get yourself the repair kit and go from there. If you’ve got A levels you are bright enough to learn how to use it. It’s just your confidence that’s lacking right now, but you’ll find it second nature after a while.
I hope this is true. I will go buy 2 inner tubes, bike leavers, mini bike pump, self-adhesive patches first of all to start to build my toolkit.

si_c

Guru
What would I use the zip ties for?What brand is good for self-adhesive patches?What is a spare quick link when would I need one for a chain, in what scenario?
I use Park tool or Skabs they are OK. They're not my first option, as I said above I swap the tube out first at the road side and fix the damaged inner tube at home.

A quick link is for letting you fix a broken chain - sometimes a chain will break, its very very rare, but I carry a quick link and my multi tool has a chain breaker on it. You need both to easily fix the chain - again practice is key here to knowing what to do. But keep in mind a broken chain is a very rare occurrence. I carry a quicklink as I sometimes ride a significant distance from home and Mrs C would be very unhappy to have to come pick me up an hour away.

For now learn how to fix punctures, and then move on to other problems :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Why didn’t you walk to a station and get on a train with the bike...given you’re in central London, most places within a 2.5 hour walk would be accessible by train?

Perhaps you should also consider taking out a rescue policy with ETA if you’re not confident dealing with mechanical issues. Costs under £25 a year, they don’t fix the bike but they’ll cover getting you and the bike to a station/home/bike shop. Also for punctures
https://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown/bicycle/

i have it myself, never needed it, but one day I might and its very cheap

Last edited:

Zip ties are for things that move and shouldn't. They don't take up much space, but are ever so handy if you need to hold something together as a temporary fix. Skabs are the typical go-to for self-adhesive patches, though the Wilkinsons own brand ones aren't bad either. Quick link is if your chain breaks - then you can re-attach the ends and ride home. A rarity, but better than being stranded. You'll need to learn how to use the chain tool on the multi-tool, but it's easy once you work out how. :okay:

I'm another rider who can't rely on being bailed out by family and friends, and so I've learnt to be self-sufficient.

si_c

Guru
I hope this is true. I will go buy 2 inner tubes, bike leavers, mini bike pump, self-adhesive patches first of all to start to build my toolkit.
It's worth spending a bit of time deciding on tools, not all mini pumps are equal. The smaller lighter ones are often a pain in the arse to use and don't always get your tyre up to pressure. The longer a pump is the easier you will find it to use, and some pumps are HV (High Volume) and others are HP (High Pressure). The HV pumps are useful for mountain bike tyres where the pressure is much lower and don't work with road tyres where you need a HP pump.

If you're unsure which pump to get the Topeak Pocket Rocket or Topeak Morph are good choices. Also the Lezyne Road drive pumps are good. Others on here will have their own recommendations.

For multi-tools I use a Topeak Hexus X and for tyre levers I use Park tool levers. There is a cheap Park tool kit where you get three levers and some patches for three or four quid.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are going to have to learn as you will get more punctures at some point. It's not hard. Top tip, cover your inner tube in talc before you fit it, so if you've got spares, pre talc them. Makes fitting easier as the tube won't stick to the rim or tyre.

Top Bottom