How easy is it to fix a bike puncture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I find this thread a bit depressing.

I grew up watching my brothers tinkering with bikes. I must have seen them fixing punctures hundreds of times. I am not sure I absorbed much else but fixing a puncture was about as basic as it got. I do vaguely remember when I was really small asking my big brother to fix it for me but from watching him it was pretty obvious how to do it. The hardest thing, as a small child, would be to get the tyre off and finding the cause of the puncture.

We used to use patch kits but I have read stuff online where people just used to use bits of old inner-tube as patches. It seems it worked almost as well. I guess all they ever needed to replace was rubber solution. Tyre levers used to be metal so were basically indestructible; I think some even used household spoons and forks.

I would recommend anybody to learn to fix a puncture as a bare minimum. If you are not prepared to do this I would recommend you get Marathon+ tyres (or equivalent) and/or tyre liners.

I have a theory that many adults ride fixed gear bikes because they cannot handle dealing with the potential problems of derailleur type gears (the most common one being re-indexing the gear occasionally).

Halfords charge £25 to repair a puncture. I could buy a new Marathon+ tyre for that!

I used to use cure-e-cure patches but am a recent convert to something called weldtite patch strip. I keep something called Hemline thread snips (from sewing) in my repair kit and just cut the patch to the size I need. In the old cure-e-cure kits I used to use up all the small patches and just be left with only the big ones. This patch strip solution does not have that problem (kind of a-la-carte patches).

</rant over> :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

I find this thread a bit depressing.

I grew up watching my brothers tinkering with bikes. I must have seen them fixing punctures hundreds of times. I am not sure I absorbed much else but fixing a puncture was about as basic as it got. I do vaguely remember when I was really small asking my big brother to fix it for me but from watching him it was pretty obvious how to do it. The hardest thing, as a small child, would be to get the tyre off and finding the cause of the puncture.

We used to use patch kits but I have read stuff online where people just used to use bits of old inner-tube as patches. It seems it worked almost as well. I guess all they ever needed to replace was rubber solution. Tyre levers used to be metal so were basically indestructible; I think some even used household spoons and forks.

I would recommend anybody to learn to fix a puncture as a bare minimum. If you are not prepared to do this I would recommend you get Marathon+ tyres (or equivalent) and/or tyre liners.

I have a theory that many adults ride fixed gear bikes because they cannot handle dealing with the potential problems of derailleur type gears (the most common one being re-indexing the gear occasionally).

Halfords charge £25 to repair a puncture. I could buy a new Marathon+ tyre for that!

I used to use cure-e-cure patches but am a recent convert to something called weldtite patch strip. I keep something called Hemline thread snips (from sewing) in my repair kit and just cut the patch to the size I need. In the old cure-e-cure kits I used to use up all the small patches and just be left with only the big ones. This patch strip solution does not have that problem (kind of a-la-carte patches).

</rant over> :smile:
I wasn't fortunate enough to grow up with adults who owned bikes let alone knew anything about them.

weareHKR

As an addition, this is my full kit when cycling, you don't need all of this but it's what I've settled on - gives me the confidence that no matter what happens on a ride I can fix it and get home.

Topeak Saddle bag, Lezyne Pump, Skabs instant patches, Park Tool Tyre boot, CO2 cannister and inflator, Park tool Tyre lever, 11sp quicklink, Inner tube, Derailleur hanger and Topeak Hexus multitool.

This is the kit I have on each bike, you don't need the derailleur hanger or the CO2 but the rest is fairly basic. I only carry 1 park tyre lever as I know that I can get my tyres off with just one, but the multitool has two built in.

View attachment 544090
Pretty much exactly the same as me that, except for Co2 & Mech hanger... I just throw in a few Allen keys & some cable-ties... :becool:

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I wasn't fortunate enough to grow up with adults who owned bikes let alone knew anything about them.

My older brother was a bike nut. He used to scour bike shops all over North London for bits.

ad3594d87cb7677bb56f1a440e72f65b.jpg

Here's a video of how to fix a puncture. I used this site alot about 5 years ago. It basically taught me all the stuff I did not know.

Flat Tire Change and Serfas Seca Install on a Specialized Allez Compact

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQt-j3jih74

Flat Tyre that never ends

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e76tCQcilNU

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My older brother was a bike nut. He used to scour bike shops all over North London for bits.

View attachment 544832

Here's a video of how to fix a puncture. I used this site alot about 5 years ago. It basically taught me all the stuff I did not know.
I recognise that shop. It was in Church End Finchley, Just inside Hendon Lane if I remember correctly.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It does seem a bit extreme, considering that a new inner tube will cost significantly less than that.
A new tap washer costs a couple of pence, but see how much a plumber will charge if you call him out to replace it. Despite the cycling boom of the last eight years, cycle shops are going bust almost daily. That's because cyclists are unwilling to pay them a realistic rate for their time when they want something done.

It is easy enough to repair a puncture yourself, but if you can't be bothered or are unable don't expect expect a shop to do it for the price of a mug of tea.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That picture of Hines bike shop must be pretty old, as the phone number format predates STD dialling! Hello operator, can you connect me to FINchley 1772 please?... :laugh:

C R

Guru
A new tap washer costs a couple of pence, but see how much a plumber will charge if you call him out to replace it. Despite the cycling boom of the last eight years, cycle shops are going bust almost daily. That's because cyclists are unwilling to pay them a realistic rate for their time when they want something done.

It is easy enough to repair a puncture yourself, but if you can't be bothered or are unable don't expect expect a shop to do it for the price of a mug of tea.
I can understand charging a reasonable amount, but 25 squids seems a bit over the top. I had a puncture in one of my car's tyres and I paid 15 pounds for a repair. Repairing a bike puncture is not that much more complex.

vickster

Legendary Member
£25 for a bog standard tube change sounds steep
My LBS prices. I’ve used once or twice when I simply could not get the flipping tyre off when I’ve had joint pain

Puncture Repairs
  • Wheel only – £5 + tube
  • Wheel in bike – £10 + tube
  • Hub gear wheel – £15 + tube
  • Dutch style bike rear puncture – £25 + tube

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom