How easy is it to fix a bike puncture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Roadside puncture repairs using a glue and patch kit are OK if you can find the hole and I've done quite a few of them, but a spare tube is much easier.

That is a good point about finding the hole. I usually use a bowl with water in it (and check for bubbles); obviously, you cannot carry a bowl of water with you.

I remember I once rode to somewhere called the velolife cycle cafe (cycle cafe of the year apparently) and got a puncture as I was approaching the cafe. Stupidly, I had no tools with me but the people in the cafe were very kind and gave me one of those scabs patches and lent me a pump. When I pumped the tyre I discovered it was only a slow puncture so I was able to get home without a repair.

Ajax Bay

Guru
But @cougie uk just think of the benefit of pressure release to posters who answer the thread question: 6 pages!!
And it's a subject nearly everyone (on here) is expert in.
The OP simply going on t'net and quickly finding a complete answer would just not do. Some CycleChat threads have useful info within . . . .

Reactions: C R

overmind

weareHKR

How could you possibly know that without some kind of forensic examination?
What part of... ''that's what we suspect happened'' didn't you understand? :rolleyes:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Seems a baseless "suspicion" to me. How do you propose a patch "blows off" while inside a tyre? The likelihood of instantaneous deflation (front tyre - sufficient to cause a crash) with that cause is very low: certainly compared to the more likely snakebite puncture (which I've experienced - though don't remember much after an instantaneous expletive - 2 days in ICU).
Inspection of the failed tube will allow reasonable deductions to be made> My tube had a snakebite with two parallel slits each over a centimetre long.

Lovacott

Über Member
How do you propose a patch "blows off" while inside a tyre? The likelihood of instantaneous deflation (front tyre - sufficient to cause a crash) with that cause is very low: certainly compared to the more likely snakebite puncture (which I've experienced - though don't remember much after an instantaneous expletive - 2 days in ICU).

When I was a London commuter on a Raleigh racing bike, I'd get punctures every week which manifested themselves by making the bike harder to handle as the tyre slowly deflated. I had some pretty quick deflations but I never had a proper blowout. Some of my inner tubes were more patch than original rubber. In dry weather in daylight, I'd do a roadside repair and in wet weather or the dark, I swap out the inner tube and repair the damaged one when I got to work (I'm a glue and patch person and I actually collect old repair kit boxes and I'll post some pictures up later). The repaired tube would then become my spare.

Typical causes of punctures were sharp objects such as glass or slate shards and thorns with the tube damage being limited to a pin prick sized hole.

I always kept the tyres inflated rock hard to mitigate the risk of pinching the tyres on pot holes or kerbs.

All that said, every time I do a downhill stretch at speed, I have it in the back of my head that if I had a proper blow out, I'd be going home in an ambulance.

I always check my tyres before I go out on my bike. A quick spin of each wheel and a visual check for tyre damage or bulging, a quick pinch between thumb and forefinger to roughly check pressure. I rarely check the same things on my car.

overmind

The only scenario I have experienced which has resulted in a blow out was when I had a puncture where the hole in the innertube was more of a gash (say 3mm) than a pin-prick type hole; like from a shard of glass. I attempted to fix this with a big patch but this resulted in a fast puncture very quickly (possibly the same day).

This second puncture was caused by the gash expanding; which undermined the patch covering it, and deflated very quickly. Obviously, the innertube was a write-off after this.

Maybe that is what happened in your case. Based on this experience; whenever I get a puncture of the gash variety I replace the innertube; but most of the time this is not the case.

Last edited:

Lovacott

Über Member
This second puncture was caused by the gash expanding; which undermined the patch covering it, and deflated very quickly. Obviously, the innertube was a write-off after this.

Traditional glue on patches become part of the tube as the adhesive creates a solvent weld between the patch and tube. Once set, it's almost impossible to get the two apart.

I always inflate the inner tube with the new patch on to make sure that there is no bulging around the patch. If the tube bulges, it goes in the bin. You can only do this once the adhesive is fully set which is why I prefer the spare tube method for roadside puncture repairs and leave the hole patching for when I get to work/home.

When fitting a tube, I inflate it a bit and then bounce the wheel before inflating it a bit more. This helps to even out the tube within the tyre. Whether or not that is a true fact, I don't know. It's just what I've always done since I was a kid after my dad told me to do it.

overmind

Traditional glue on patches become part of the tube as the adhesive creates a solvent weld between the patch and tube. Once set, it's almost impossible to get the two apart.
That is interesting. Maybe it was caused by not using enough glue on the patch then; That is possible.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Or a 'glueless' patch, perhaps; but still would result in a slow leak, possibly increasing in pressure loss rate (as opposed to 'blowout'). However in my bad off, I know the tyre was correctly inflated at the start of the 300, but perhaps it had lost pressure over the 199k thus rendering it vulnerable to a snakebite type deflation (fast downhill, slight bend ahead). A month later, when I could drive again, and went to pick up my bike (taken care of by a kind local) I visited the deflation site: no sign of any pothole or other cause.

Top Bottom