How easy is it to fix a bike puncture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

Today I had a tire puncture very far from how and I didn't have a puncture repair kit and I don't know how to fix punctures, so I was forced to walk home for 2 and a bit hours as bikes aren't allowed on buses.

This has made me lose confidence as a cyclist and put me off cycling as I am afraid this will repeat and I will be even more further from home. So I thought it is about time I learn how to fix tire punctures, I looked at many tutorials online however I don't feel very confident that I will be able to repeat the procedure on my own successfully.

jay clock

Massive member
Really not hard. Youtube will answer how to do it. My top extra tips for a bike with rear cassette is put bike on smallest cog and always keep bike right way up.. And buy a Topeak Shuttle lever

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Really not hard. Youtube will answer how to do it. My top extra tips for a bike with rear cassette is put bike on smallest cog and always keep bike right way up.. And buy a Topeak Shuttle lever
Thank you for the tip I will buy the topeak shuttle lever.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Do I need to buy 2 levers or 1? I tutorials I have seen people using 2 levers.

si_c

Guru
Punctures are really easy to fix roadside, you just need a couple of tools. But at minimum you need a spare inner tube, a pump of some description and a tyre lever.

This will let you get the tyre off the wheel - remove the old inner tube, check for any sharp edges inside the tyre and then fit the inner tube and pump up the tyre. There are plenty of videos on youtube, GCN have some good ones.

A good idea is to practice changing the tube and pumping up the tyre a few times at home so you gain confidence you can do it by the road.

si_c

Guru
As an addition, this is my full kit when cycling, you don't need all of this but it's what I've settled on - gives me the confidence that no matter what happens on a ride I can fix it and get home.

Topeak Saddle bag, Lezyne Pump, Skabs instant patches, Park Tool Tyre boot, CO2 cannister and inflator, Park tool Tyre lever, 11sp quicklink, Inner tube, Derailleur hanger and Topeak Hexus multitool.

This is the kit I have on each bike, you don't need the derailleur hanger or the CO2 but the rest is fairly basic. I only carry 1 park tyre lever as I know that I can get my tyres off with just one, but the multitool has two built in.

IMG_20200828_212229.jpg

boydj

Legendary Member
Two levers make the job a little easier. Doing a repair on the road is usually a last resort. It's better to carry a spare tube (or two for longer runs) and use that. A repair kit should be carried for backup. It's essential to find the cause of the puncture and remove it from the tyre before putting the new tube in.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Two levers make the job a little easier. Doing a repair on the road is usually a last resort. It's better to carry a spare tube (or two for longer runs) and use that. A repair kit should be carried for backup. It's essential to find the cause of the puncture and remove it from the tyre before putting the new tube in.
I thought to mend the hole in the inner tube you use a sticker like thing and just put it over the hole?

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

As an addition, this is my full kit when cycling, you don't need all of this but it's what I've settled on - gives me the confidence that no matter what happens on a ride I can fix it and get home.

Topeak Saddle bag, Lezyne Pump, Skabs instant patches, Park Tool Tyre boot, CO2 cannister and inflator, Park tool Tyre lever, 11sp quicklink, Inner tube, Derailleur hanger and Topeak Hexus multitool.

This is the kit I have on each bike, you don't need the derailleur hanger or the CO2 but the rest is fairly basic. I only carry 1 park tyre lever as I know that I can get my tyres off with just one, but the multitool has two built in.

View attachment 544090
Thank you for sharing the tools you carry I will need to get some. As for which inner tube to buy, how do I know which one is for my bike or is any fine?

Topeak Shuttle comes as a pair of levers anyway. The stubby black fits into the longer yellow one.
Maybe a symantic point, but you're better off not fixing a punture at the roadside, but merely replacing the tube with your spare, then fixing the puncture when you get home. As well as the spare tube and levers, carry a packet of 'scabs' or other self-adhesive patches in case you get a second puncture on the way home.

Oh, and most importantly, don't forget to find and remove from the tyre whatever it was that caused the bloody thing in the first place!

Top Bottom