How far can I drive to pick up a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That’s not outwith the law however, providing care to the vulnerable (which includes everyone 70+) is permitted. Especially as presumably if she lives alone, she’ll be in a support bubble with you?
Yes other than me she has no visitors so goes weeks without seeing anyone. Spent the last 5 years as full time carer to my dad who has now passed away. Other than me she is alone. Not eating or looking after herself so brought her to our houses for a while.
Back on topic, I think a bike pick up is on and I wouldnt have a problem with it

I've done hundreds of miles of driving through the lockdowns for work (construction and allied trades) and always with at least one bike in the back (I have a Brompton in the car for cyclable and park+ride jobs in places like Cambridge and London) and often with a road bike in there too, visible through the back windows.

I know anecdote <> data but I've not noticed any change in road policing activity and certainly haven't been stopped at any point in the past 12 months. I have noticed a massive incease in PCSOs enforcing the parking closures in places like Southend Seafront as I ride there often so my gut feel is that you've got to be doing something pretty dumb or patently against the rules to get pulled over.

Not that it is really comparable but most of the dog rehoming centers I've looked at recently say they cannot see people who live more than a half-hour drive/journey away.

I ran into some issues :boxing:with my other half (who has additional health concerns) when I had to let a flea bay bike purchase go as it wasn't in our town. It was about 15 miles away. It wasn't worth the arguing so I backed down:smooch:. But then it wasn't really essential.

Speaking to different people last week I heard a number of accounts where the police were cautioning/fining people who'd traveled more than
6 miles.

Is it? I don't see it in the legislation. Bike shops are deemed to be "essential" (presumably to facilitate the permitted exercise clause) but I wouldn't assume that carries over to private sellers too.
Yes you're quite right. I would *personally* take the more generous interpretation, but as I also said, I'm happy to take a risk of a small fine. Bear in mind that you are always dealing with a human police officer, not an online form where you have to choose from a limited set of options :smile:
If you think it would go badly, and you don't want that risk, fair enough, don't do it.

Yes you're quite right. I would *personally* take the more generous interpretation, but as I also said, I'm happy to take a risk of a small fine.

lets be honest the guidance/rules whatever you want to call them aren't in place so you can decide whether the risk of a fine is worth it or not , there is much more at stake than that

I am waiting to go over to yorkshire to collect a bike from @DCLane , but wont do so until restrictions are lifted , i have stuck to all other guidance , i see no reason break the rules to collect a bike ,

classic33

Leg End Member
lets be honest the guidance/rules whatever you want to call them aren't in place so you can decide whether the risk of a fine is worth it or not , there is much more at stake than that

I am waiting to go over to yorkshire to collect a bike from @DCLane , but wont do so until restrictions are lifted , i have stuck to all other guidance , i see no reason break the rules to collect a bike ,
Could you not meet at the Yorkshire-Lancashire Border?

Could you not meet at the Yorkshire-Lancashire Border?
Does the virus not cross county boundaries?? [sorry, but many answers on this thread have already lost all sense of reason, science or sense, so I don't see why I should be boring and sensible any more :-) ]

classic33

Leg End Member
Does the virus not cross county boundaries?? [sorry, but many answers on this thread have already lost all sense of reason, science or sense, so I don't see why I should be boring and sensible any more :-) ]
Never said it can't.

But people can decide not to, which it appears to be what roadrash has decided on. Not to travel out of his area.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think that stay local is pretty clear. If people are being fined for getting a takeaway from the next town then travelling a long distance to pick up an eBay item is unacceptable both morally and according to the law.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I think that stay local is pretty clear. If people are being fined for getting a takeaway from the next town then travelling a long distance to pick up an eBay item is unacceptable both morally and according to the law.
Fair play to the pair of you for sticking to the restrictions. What we need now is a few more like yourselves.

Thanks @classic33 - I have travelled to pick up some wheels from Sunderland but was about 4 miles away with work. To me that seemed OK, particularly as the seller was nowhere near me when I picked them up (masked, item in the wheel bag picked up with latex gloves, gloves disposed of and wheels then stored for 48 hours).

Otherwise I'm not travelling unless I have to. It's easier and I won't take the risk to myself or my family.

Top Bottom