Votes: 375 26.3%
  • 11-15 miles

Votes: 301 21.1%
  • 16-20 miles

Votes: 168 11.8%
  • >20 miles

Votes: 253 17.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sim2003

I find towpaths annoying, great in the morning but take your time in the evening,ok for ambling along and getting a grip on the ride.
The annoying road cyclist will appear flat out, I am a road biker too,you will soon prefer the roads.

+1 on the roads vs towpaths, Have a look on google maps and use smaller/quieter off roads if wanting to get use to it , It is also a good excuse and safer way to practice hand signals and balance with or without traffic.

RichardB

Slightly retro
My commute is 13.5 miles each way, and properly hilly. At the moment I am doing it on an electric bike, and it takes me about 55 minutes each way. I work 4 nights a week and use the bike for two of the nights, so I count it as four rides on separate days. I'm aiming towards doing it on my road bike, but there isn't enough in my legs for that just yet. I'm a little concerned about the time it will take, too. I am moving to 12-hour shifts for three of the nights, and I'm wondering if I will get time to sleep! I'm on a losing weight/getting fit kick at the moment, and cycling to work is brilliant because a) you don't need to take time out of your schedule to visit gyms etc, and b) there's no excuse for missing a day - if you want to eat, you have to get to work, rain, cold, whatever.

CoffeeKev

I would like to return to doing my full 16 mile commute either side of a 12 hour night shift but just can't get the motivation since the arrival of my son

Thinking driving most the way and building back up to it but it's a killer either side of a 12 hour night shift

...insert motivation here... coffee only goes so far

RichardB

Slightly retro
I would like to return to doing my full 16 mile commute either side of a 12 hour night shift but just can't get the motivation since the arrival of my son

Thinking driving most the way and building back up to it but it's a killer either side of a 12 hour night shift

...insert motivation here... coffee only goes so far
I work 12-hour shifts for three of my four in a week, but I only cycle in on one of them. (The fourth shift I cycle, but that's only 7 hours.) My commute takes the best part of an hour, and when you add up the working time, the travel time, a bite to eat and some sleep, there isn't a lot left. My children are grown up, so there is just the two of us, and we fit things round it, but I can understand how difficult it is if you have young family. In another job, I used to drive half way and bike the rest, but you still have all the hassle of changing etc, and there is the added headaches of secure parking, roof racks, carriers etc. There's no easy answer.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
A few weeks in, and I already have a backup commuter to my Schwinn Impact, a Univega Via Carisma(1991)

Top Bottom