Votes: 373 26.2%
  • 11-15 miles

Votes: 300 21.1%
  • 16-20 miles

Votes: 167 11.8%
  • >20 miles

Votes: 252 17.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz71

Über Member
My journey is only 3 miles each way but i like to do around 15 miles a day by throwing in a few detours.

rossw46

26 mile round trip, which is pretty flat, but miles and miles of cars backed up. It gives me a warm feeling shooting straight past them all !

RichardB

Slightly retro
26 mile round trip, which is pretty flat, but miles and miles of cars backed up. It gives me a warm feeling shooting straight past them all !
To keep the boredom at bay, have you ever thought of the value of the cars you are shooting past? A guy I used to know commuted in London on an old motorbike (worth about £300) and he reckoned that every day of his life he passed a million pounds' worth of automotive technology.

rossw46

To keep the boredom at bay, have you ever thought of the value of the cars you are shooting past? A guy I used to know commuted in London on an old motorbike (worth about £300) and he reckoned that every day of his life he passed a million pounds' worth of automotive technology.

No boredom at all mate, with so many pedestrians shooting out from behind the cars, car drivers driving like muppets, quite a few other cyclists riding like muppets, it almost feels like I'm doing battle, and there's a great satisfaction when I arrive at my destination.

Postmanhat

About 1.5 miles on a fat-tyred hydrid. Cyclepath, road, pedestrianised city centre, road. You get reflective clothes as part of the job, so no need to carry anything extra except gloves in winter. Secure bike area at work. Have it very easy. But it's not the sort of work that lends itself to long commutes, especially going back. Think there's only one who does anything over 5 miles, and he doesn't look too happy on it!

JamesDawson

I work from home, so about 5 metres! I do miss not riding home from work, even in bad weather it was nice to get out and clear the mind a bit!

Liamv89

6 miles there 6 miles back. About 20 minutes each way depending on how many of the 30 or so traffic lights turn red.

Snizzlepops

4.5miles each way. Uphill battle in the morning, easy descent in the evening :hyper: 25mins ish each way depending on traffic lights!

MoultonDan

Regular
I will be looking to commute 11 miles each way soon,though i think i need to get some miles in first as i havent ridden properly for a couple of years now!

IBarrett

Über Member
Hello chaps.

24 miles round trip for my commute.
12 miles takes me approx 50 minutes and is a mixture of city and rural riding.

My best time was this Tuesday when I did it in 43minutes dead and I did 44 mins tonight relatively comfortably with a 15.86mph average.

I started commuting to work before Christmas but I was new back to cycling so before I started the commute I had a few weeks of riding a 5 mile loop in the morning and pushing as hard as I could. Even then the first full commute hurt like hell.
I have been slowly ramping up the days and today is only the second time doing 3 days in a row.
I generally look forward to the commute each day.

I'm on a MTB and there isn't a huge elevation change on my daily commute.
As I commute alone I have no reference point for my speed so would someone tell me if my times are OK or if I'm too slow.

I have signed up for the Southwell, Notts 60 Mile sportive on 3rd April and don't want to show myself up.
I did a 48 mile ride last weekend. The first 24 miles I felt great but the last 10 were agony and I expected not to be able to commute this week but recovered amazingly well and that seems to be the big improvement now rather than time improvements.

Last edited:

Kingy

Live just under 3 miles from work.
Commute in Tues/ Wed/ Thurs and do 20 miles on the way in and 10 on the way home.
Work from home on a Friday (half day), so do either roadride of +/-30 miles or mountainbike ride +/- 20 miles depending on the weather.

Top Bottom