1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how far do you commute?

Discussion in 'Commuting and Utility Cycling' started by alecstilleyedye, 18 Aug 2012.

?
  1. <1 mile

21 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. 1-5 miles

238 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. 6-10 miles

290 vote(s)
    25.8%
  4. 11-15 miles

235 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. 16-20 miles

138 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. >20 miles

203 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. Lee Johnston

Lee Johnston Regular

Trying out crazy hills, my poor legs are feeling the strain!

2. Lee Johnston

Lee Johnston Regular

Stunning views mate, lots more plz

Liz Su likes this.
  3. Karlt

Karlt Well-Known Member

That's Bowfell innit? I'm guessing you're about to go over the edge and down into little Langdale You must be absolutely bonkers and yet I envy that commute.

4. Gixxerman

Gixxerman Über Member

Now using the park and cycle facility for Lincoln, which equates to a 4-mile each way commute.

5. Sixmile

Sixmile Senior Member

I have my route pretty much nailed now.

12.5 miles in, 343ft climbing - best time 44 minutes
    15.8 miles home, 508ft - 56 minutes

6. Starchivore

Starchivore I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo

I've just started a new commute which is an extent on my previous one.
    It’s 9.5 miles from my house to a train station further along (which means a cheaper season ticket). Hebden Bridge to Littleborough. I was very pleased this morning because I managed it in just over 35 minutes, a bit under the time I had estimated, without really straining (I’m lazy and also don’t want to be covered in sweat, as I commute in my work clothes).

I’m always unreasonably nervous about leaving my bike at new places, but it’s locked up on the train station with two D locks, one of which is really decent, so any worry is irrational really.

It was really nice to have a slightly longer ride too, so I’m looking forward to that being my routine and helping me get a bit fitter.

7. jack shepherd

jack shepherd Active Member

My commute to work is split by the train. I work with first buses in Chelmsford, Essex and I live in Witham, so I bike about 1 1/2 miles to witham train station from my home then a train to Chelmsford, then another 1 1/2 miles ish to the first depot. My bike is a second hand Apollo XC26s unisex bike, ive had it since feb so its done me well with no maintance other than oiling of the chain, its had 2 puntures but other than that its a workhorse, I plan to get it a service as I want to hopfully use it in September for a charity ride.

8. rivers

rivers Well-Known Member

I just started commuting again this week. Before I moved to central Bristol, my commute to Bath was about 7 miles each way. It's now 11 or 16 depending which route I take. Since the A4 scares me a bit, it's 16 down the railway path. I'm slow, and that's okay. It took me about 1 hr 20 today with a couple of rest breaks along the way.

Lonestar and Shaun like this.
  9. Lonestar

Lonestar Cycling Underdog.

I can't blame you for being worried about dodgy roads.There are some I avoid myself.

10. TrishnBonnie

TrishnBonnie Well-Known Member

My commute at the moment is 2 miles from the station where I leave my bike to work but I'm wanting to ride in and leave out the train bit of the journey. Google says it's 11 miles but the roads are busy so I'm a bit nervous about it. I'm going to buy a map this morning but if anyone knows the area and an easy way please I go to work in Lincoln from my mum's, as she has Bonnie while I work, she lives in metheringham.

I've cycled with the trailer from Newark to metheringham using route 64 and then the water railway path route 1 to almost bardney so avoided traffic for most of the way. Once I left the Sustrans route I was on a quiet road for a while then a road used by lots of lorries that go that way to avoid a low bridge which was scarey :smile:

11. h1udd

h1udd Active Member

3 miles downhill in and 3 miles uphill home ..... It's just not long enough, I have started doing detours on the way home to add more smiles

12. jade1981

jade1981 Member

My commute is just over 6 miles each way but i have an electric bike now which i love! wondering if anyone else commutes on an electric bike? here's mine: https://www.a2bshop.co.uk/Kuo

13. Kominic

Kominic Regular

4 to 5 miles to work. Stretch it out to 20 home.

TrishnBonnie likes this.
  14. r04DiE

r04DiE Senior Member

I do 200km a week, I commute 3 out of 5 days.

15. beany_bot

beany_bot Well-Known Member

Is this poll asking for a return trip length or one way?