Votes: 372 26.2%
  • 11-15 miles

Votes: 298 21.0%
  • 16-20 miles

Votes: 167 11.8%
  • >20 miles

Votes: 252 17.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
13.5m each way, averaging out to 4 days a week. There's always one event each week that prevents from me cycling in; beers after work, customer meeting first thing etc.

That is actually less than it was after I recently found a short-cut which shaved off almost a mile in each direction. To begin with, I was all "yay, I get to work quicker", but now I feel as if I've cheated myself a little :unsure:

I may take longer detours on the way home when the weather gets better. Do many others do something similar i.e. "taking the scenic route"?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE="2pies, post: 4159527, member: 13920"

I may take longer detours on the way home when the weather gets better. Do many others do something similar i.e. "taking the scenic route"?[/QUOTE]

Yes, every single day of my commute.
Door to door is 11and half miles.
My morning commute is anything from 17 to 20, my evening 14 or 15.

People like @MickeyBlueEyes and @Supersuperleeds do much farther every day.

Last edited:

2pies

Veteran
Hello chaps.

As I commute alone I have no reference point for my speed so would someone tell me if my times are OK or if I'm too slow.

Commuting speed is largely dictated by traffic and how many times you have to stop. I try to keep my speed between 18-22mph on the flat but stopping 40 times throughout the journey drops my average speed to about 13mph.

That said, 16mph is pretty reasonable on a MTB.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I may take longer detours on the way home when the weather gets better. Do many others do something similar i.e. "taking the scenic route"?

I think if I went as direct as I could it would be about 12 miles. Screw that off, it's a dull, traffic laden, junction heavy drag. Give me the gorgeous country roads that enable me a 25 mile trip each way. That being Winter mileage though, get me in Spring & Summer and it'll be a 50 mile inbound trip, 30 something on the way home. Coincidentally, last night I plotted a route for me for the Summer, came in at 122 miles! Can't wait for that, it'll be a commute and a half!

si_c

Guru
5 miles each way door to door if I get the ferry, 4 miles if I get the train. When the weather gets nicer, it'll be 5 miles in, 40miles home. Bloody big river in the way :biggrin:

Just under 10 miles each way. Mostly flat although a couple of little hills.

Best time is just over 30 minutes (on a Sunday with little traffic and favourable traffic lights). Can be up to 45 minutes though as some narrow bottlenecks where it is difficult/dangerous to filter past traffic and the traffic lights seem to be in sync so if you get caught by one set of red lights sometimes you get caught by all the others as well!

Lee Johnston

Regular
Just under 10 miles each way. Mostly flat although a couple of little hills.

Best time is just over 30 minutes (on a Sunday with little traffic and favourable traffic lights). Can be up to 45 minutes though as some narrow bottlenecks where it is difficult/dangerous to filter past traffic and the traffic lights seem to be in sync so if you get caught by one set of red lights sometimes you get caught by all the others as well!
Trying out crazy hills, my poor legs are feeling the strain!

Sixmile

Veteran
I have my route pretty much nailed now.

12.5 miles in, 343ft climbing - best time 44 minutes
15.8 miles home, 508ft - 56 minutes

Top Bottom