Votes: 372 26.3%
  • 11-15 miles

Votes: 297 21.0%
  • 16-20 miles

Votes: 167 11.8%
  • >20 miles

Votes: 252 17.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Commuting zero miles by bike at the moment due to dodgy knee , terrible weather in Jan/Feb and now now my back has packed in. I cannot wait to get back out on my commute ( Key worker ) as the roads are the quietest they have ever been !

cmithy3054

Not going to lie, really missing the morning commute at the moment. It's a nice 20 mins leg stretch and sets me up nicely for the day :smile:

I was enjoying my commute a lot more due to the absence of most of the traffic since lockdown. I can vary the length between 8 & 10 miles, depending on the route I wish to take. I've noticed the traffic building back up over the last week. Today was busy as any normal Saturday, white builders van braking abruptly in front of me, BMW being edged out impatiently at a junction causing me to swerve. Getting back to business as usual.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm missing my bicycle commute so badly. :sad: It used to be about 285km per week with 4000m climbing, but now it doesn't even leave the house. Since I don't have to ride to/from work, I'm not motivated to cycle around my neighbourhood, because the hostility from motorists puts me off. I've cycled my whole life, and consider myself to be an experienced cyclist, but the attitude towards cyclists in Australia is appalling. The lower motor traffic due to coronavirus has made a lot of motorists even worse: they take the relatively empty roads as an excuse to drive like idiots, and the temporary stop of random roadside breath-testing has encouraged them even more. It's madness out there now.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'm missing my bicycle commute so badly. :sad: It used to be about 285km per week with 4000m climbing, but now it doesn't even leave the house. Since I don't have to ride to/from work, I'm not motivated to cycle around my neighbourhood, because the hostility from motorists puts me off. I've cycled my whole life, and consider myself to be an experienced cyclist, but the attitude towards cyclists in Australia is appalling. The lower motor traffic due to coronavirus has made a lot of motorists even worse: they take the relatively empty roads as an excuse to drive like idiots, and the temporary stop of random roadside breath-testing has encouraged them even more. It's madness out there now.

I'm running a Strava "cycle to work from home" club for our company, has really helped my motivation to see what others are up to. See also

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-cycling-to-work-from-home-thread.258439/

Lovacott

Über Member
30 mIles shortest way return of the finest south Wiltshire and north Hampshire countryside

I cycle to work from the foot of the Torridge Valley to the foot of the Taw Valley (Devon) which is a distance of 9.7 miles with a peak in the middle of 422 feet above my start point.

I've been doing it since April and although it nearly killed me on day one, I find it is getting easier and I am beginning to appreciate what I am cycling through.

With dark mornings upon us and dark rides home only a month away, how do you manage on unlit country lanes? I've bought a couple of decent powered rechargeable headlights but I'd welcome any tips you can give me when it comes to night riding.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Spend most of the time working from home now. Badly missing my commute home in the summer. Frequently used to explore different scenic routes on the hybrid.

RPSlacky

Really miss my commute, used to be 20km each way... downhill and flat on way in, and big lump to get home (downside of living at the top of a hill).

Moved jobs to something much further away which means a 45 min commute up the M1... hopefully back to a closer job in the new year, and also hopefully the shower facilities will be open!

yo vanilla

I don't bike every day (been working at home some days anyhow), but when I do it is 6 miles through stop n go traffic, for the most part. All flat, unless I take a detour to a short downhill/uphill.

BigMeatball

I've never commuted by bike but this may change.

Applied yesterday for a job 2km (:laugh::laugh:) away from my house.

Would be perfect because the way there is downhill so I'd get to work fast if I was late.

silva

Über Member
My home-work case is 12 km; after work from back home I ride 20 km in the opposite direction, making a daily total of 64 km, in all weather. Today the first day since february, that I didn't see any other cyclist outside town/city. Why: rain, heavy wind, cold. It's really crap but I have some destinations (work and secondhand stuff shops) as motivation. Without that, I wouldn't be out there either.

simongt

Guru
Last Sunday was the postponed Norwich 100. Sitting at our local hostelry, the GLW and I were impressed by the number of said cyclists passing and also the number stopping for food & drink at the pub. Many were of the 'the right bike' and 'the right clothing' sort and we wondered how many of them actually cycle as a matter of course e.g., commuting, or simply use their bikes as a trendy leisure pursuit.
I'm 67 and commute 25 miles most work days as well as biking around the city for shopping, errands, pub etc.. Two of my pals at work, younger than me and less far to travel, both own 'the right bikes' and go club type riding. However, neither would dream of cycling to work, much preferring to use their cars.
Observations - ? :whistle:

Top Bottom