How far do you commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark i

I do 21 miles per day. 6 on the way in using the train also, 15 on the way home (it does not matter how sweaty I am when I get home, my son still plays!). I tend to find that during the week my out and out speed drops, while my endurance seems to get better. At the end of the week I am normally slightly heavy legged, but nothing too serious. The 15 miles home including stops takes anything from 50 minutes to 1 hour depending on wind, traffic lights etc. My main concern would be that it will get really hard when you have a heavy cold / virus / misc ailment. In that case it gets harder to do the distance day after day. You will also need more batterys / better lights etc for the winter months....

fimm

Veteran
16 miles each way, but I usually only do that 1 - 3 times a week. Otherwise it is a bike-train-bike effort with the bike legs only being about a mile each.

rsvdaz

just done my first commute in this morning...30.8miles...one way..undecided to go back the same route or a slight detour...5 miles longer..but a lot flatter....or half train half cycle....suffering a bit with hay fever today :thumbsup:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
41 miles a day on a brommie. 5 days a week but sometimes only 4 depends on lectures. forgot how much climbing but a lot coming home to hilly rossendale

edit: i'm fat and reasonably unfit. if i can do it on a brommie you should be able to do it. one thing tho, for the first few weeks make sure you over eat and drinks loads of fluids. i didn't and ended up with dehydration headaches for weeks. i then used some sis electrolytes powder. now i can do it just using water as my body seems to got used to it.

c2c

redredrobin
my commute is a round trip of 12 miles taking the shortest route. more often than not i extend that to 16 round trip. i do shift work and on my feet all shift so sometimes i cheat and ride the short route.

Top Bottom