How Far Do You Commute ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Coventry to Nuneaton, 6.5 miles each way, 13 miles a day 5 days a week, takes about 25 minutes each way. Have Saturday as a rest day, no cycling, and also do 2-3 Sunday club ride a month.

MickL

Über Member
How do you find it ?

Pretty good, I enjoy it but then Im kinda lucky in the sense that its mostly canal towpath at moment while the weather is good, here is my route.

http://g.co/maps/yuhc

Im looking at getting a tourer for my commutes through my works C2W so it will change to the roads once the weather turns and the canal towpaths become unsuitable.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

very rarely, given traffic itd take 1hr by car, and public transport 2hr30, legs a bit tired come friday
Personally i dont make a coscious effort increase my overall speed i just allow for organic improvement as general health and strength improves.
Do you feel that you are still improving or do you feel that you have hit the improvement ceiling ?
I reiterate admirable 5 day commute :thumbsup:.

byegad

Legendary Member
I commuted 12 miles each way with showers at work. This worked very well as we had a cyclist's locker big enough for kit and towel to dry and storage for work clothing.

Then moved job and did 16 miles each way and no showers and only a large draw for kit.. So I made sure I cooled down on the bike in the last, fortunately downwards, 2 or 3 miles and had a top body wash using a fleece towel in the large toilet area. This worked OK so long as I timed my arrive to be some 20 minutes before I was due to start.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

Pretty good, I enjoy it but then Im kinda lucky in the sense that its mostly canal towpath at moment while the weather is good, here is my route.

http://g.co/maps/yuhc

Im looking at getting a tourer for my commutes through my works C2W so it will change to the roads once the weather turns and the canal towpaths become unsuitable.

Even though its in the west mids urban conurbation its surprising how green it looks - credit to the council planning authorities i guess.
Interesting cycling country.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

Well done to all commutes from ian74s 500 yards to patricks 50 miles.
Im still thinking there may be a 80 mile commuter amongst us - id like to think so.

MickL

Über Member
Even though its in the west mids urban conurbation its surprising how green it looks - credit to the council planning authorities i guess.
Interesting cycling country.

The route is pretty pleasant, lots of wildlife and plenty of interesting bits, Midlands is well known for its canals and its tunnels. I intend to keep cycling this route till it goes dark as its ten miles of unlit route which I dont really fancy doing
wacko.gif

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

The route is pretty pleasant, lots of wildlife and plenty of interesting bits, Midlands is well known for its canals and its tunnels. I intend to keep cycling this route till it goes dark as its ten miles of unlit route which I dont really fancy doing
wacko.gif

Yes the days are drawing in and bike lights (mine at least) arnt good enough for totally unlit areas and anyway in the dark it just better to go one the roads.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

and your commute is?

Id like to be able to say 80 miles but unfortunately not.
Varies - 80 miles once a week and 3 or 4 x 20 to 40 milers depending on where i have to go.
And some shorter rides like going down the library etc.
But after doing 80 miles one day i definitely feel the need to recover.
Hats of to all you 5 day week whatever distance commuters.

Top Bottom